BBQ Question

plenz... These "foil chip packets" do you make them yourself or get them pre-made... How do you use them/where do you place them? I'd like to try this!

Make them yourself. Just put some soaked wood chips and wrap them in foil, poke a bunch of holes in it, and there ya go.

If you are doing direct heat, like say a steak, I put the packet right on top of the burner, let it get smoking good, then put the steak right on top. Need a stronger wood, like Mesquite or Hickory .this is how I use the gas grill 99% of the time.

Indirect cook obviously be on other side of grill from food

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go online, you will save a bundle over the big box store... Yet, it will come in a box and you'll have to put it together. I actually prefer I put it together, then I know it is done right!

The key difference between you and me is that I am grossly incompetent at putting anything together.

So you think I'm grilling my steaks over lighter fluid? It's been long burned off.

Oh, sure. That's what they say when I cook with wine. It's always been in my head: don't use lighter fluid.

But hey, at least I'm smart enough to figure out on my own how to make a smoker pouch out of mesquite chips and aluminum foil.

To the people who have grills with side burners, what exactly do you wind up using those for? I've got a brand new gas grill wedding gift just sitting in the in-laws basement until we buy a house and have the space to use it. No one I know has a grill with one, so I've never seen it in use. Is it pretty much just for keeping things warm after you've taken them off the grill?

To the people who have grills with side burners, what exactly do you wind up using those for? I've got a brand new gas grill wedding gift just sitting in the in-laws basement until we buy a house and have the space to use it. No one I know has a grill with one, so I've never seen it in use. Is it pretty much just for keeping things warm after you've taken them off the grill?

I think the intent it to give you a place to cook/boil/warm something without having to return to your kitchen, especially during the summer when we prefer to keep the heat outside. I mostly use it when I need to be attentive to whatever is on the grill and not be in the kitchen working on something else, like sauteing mushrooms.

The thing to keep in mind though is that, depending on the quality of the grill, the lowest setting may not be low enough to keep something warm or even at a simmer, but rather hot enough to boil. So whatever you first use it for, get to know how hot the lowest setting is so you don't burn something.

Thats something that the write ups and the reviews said doesn't happen with the infrared because the plate is over the flame and it keeps from having flame ups

From the video I watched online, the "infrared" wasn't something you could turn on or off, it was the full grill itself, it was basically a plate over the burners that heats up and provides the heat to the grill surface

that may be what it says, but when you grill good juicy Italian sausages .... you can't avoid the flare ups.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the plates that flare up.

year after year (I cook all season) every spring I always get the winter grease burn off from the bottom of the grill. Light it up and let it burn. so much easier to clean char over grease.

that depends on what accessories you get with it

uses depending on accessories

with a grill plate > a plate warmer, breakfast eggs and bacon,

open flames > a pot to boil for potatoes, crab legs, corn on the cob etc

The key difference between you and me is that I am grossly incompetent at putting anything together.

Ha... Then by no means order it through the internet. Try some of the local hardware places like Ace... They have competitive prices and can give more personalized service! Then since they are close and local, probably give exceptional service on repair, etc...

Make them yourself. Just put some soaked wood chips and wrap them in foil, poke a bunch of holes in it, and there ya go.

If you are doing direct heat, like say a steak, I put the packet right on top of the burner, let it get smoking good, then put the steak right on top. Need a stronger wood, like Mesquite or Hickory .this is how I use the gas grill 99% of the time.

Indirect cook obviously be on other side of grill from food

Thanks! I am gonna try that this year... Never really dawned on me to do that!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

JR, it would make more sense for me to use the money to start one charcoal fire, as that grill is never going to be used if I have to put it together! Matter of fact, might cost me a chit ton more when the thing catches my house on fire when it blows up on first use!

JR, it would make more sense for me to use the money to start one charcoal fire, as that grill is never going to be used if I have to put it together! Matter of fact, might cost me a chit ton more when the thing catches my house on fire when it blows up on first use!

LoL... Maybe. But they have an even more grossly incompetent kid putting the grill together @ Lowes or Home Depot. Gotta hand it to the Charbroil, Weber, etc... design teams, houses aren't blowing up all over the place!

Conclusion=You you still may be better putting it together yourself!

;-P

Oh, sure. That's what they say when I cook with wine. It's always been in my head: don't use lighter fluid.

But hey, at least I'm smart enough to figure out on my own how to make a smoker pouch out of mesquite chips and aluminum foil.

Ok, I'll get one of those chimney things. I've always used starter fluid and never noticed a bad taste.

Ok, I'll get one of those chimney things. I've always used starter fluid and never noticed a bad taste.

they work great Chef..what i use to start the Egg every time. Vary the amout of lump depending whether i am smoking or grilling.

Hard part is is i no longer take a paper, I have to remember to grab a bunch of the circulars when i am in the grocery store

Edited by plenzmd1

they work great Chef..what i use to start the Egg every time. Vary the amout of lump depending whether i am smoking or grilling.

Hard part is is i no longer take a paper, I have to remember to grab a bunch of the circulars when i am in the grocery store

We get the WSJ on Saturday so we keep them. We have a stack we use for the fireplace.

So you think I'm grilling my steaks over lighter fluid? It's been long burned off.

the key with starter fluid is to NOT cook when the coals are still black.

He knows. And thats not the key to cooking with lighter fluid. Thats the key to cooking with briquettes which can impart off flavors due to chemical treatment. Lump charcoal in a chimney starter is your best bet for long cooks and smoking meat.

Edited by Jauronimo

Usually beans and/or frying bacon. Just nice to not have to use the stove.

Yes lighter fluid.

This surprises me coming from you.

I only use a chimney.

When you're at the grocery store, have them put your groceries in paper bags, not plastic. One usually suffices per chimney

We use Trader Joe paper bags, though I always get the evil eye from Greepeace when they're outside getting signatures for something.

Their look usually says "Why aren't you using your re-useable bag?"

My return look usually says "You all smell like porpoise, ya damn hippies."

He knows. And thats not the key to cooking with lighter fluid. Thats the key to cooking with briquettes which can impart off flavors due to chemical treatment. Lump charcoal in a chimney starter is your best bet for long cooks and smoking meat.

I don't have a lot of luck with the lump charcoal - no idea why. I've only tried it twice, but didn't seem to get the long-lasting heat I was expecting.

The best charcoal I've found has been Mr. Stubb's. Holds heat very well and burns very slowly and completely. Nothing but ash in the morning.

I do want to try the lump again this year.

When you're at the grocery store, have them put your groceries in paper bags, not plastic. One usually suffices per chimney

We use Trader Joe paper bags, though I always get the evil eye from Greepeace when they're outside getting signatures for something.

Their look usually says "Why aren't you using your re-useable bag?"

My return look usually says "You all smell like porpoise, ya damn hippies."

With that attitude you probably live on a cul-de-sac.

But now that we're talking lump charcoal, what brand do you guys use? I'm always a little paranoid about foreign matter in bags of lump and tend to inspect it carefully when filling the chimney starter.

With that attitude you probably live on a cul-de-sac.

But now that we're talking lump charcoal, what brand do you guys use? I'm always a little paranoid about foreign matter in bags of lump and tend to inspect it carefully when filling the chimney starter.

This is the only kind I've ever tried.

http://www.hannaford.com/product/Cowboy-Hardwood-Lump-Charcoal/869320.uts#/

The paper is the worst part of the chimney. I used to have sooty and hot paper flying around my deck. Another reason I moved away from charcoal.

I think you can use a chimney without paper, but I never was able to do it successfully.