BBQ Question

I will probably fire it up tomorrow night (wife is having a friend over and is cooking tonight)

For BBQ sauce, I have no issues with the store bought stuff, I really enjoy the Bullseye ones

I don't have a gourmet pallet, I don't need anything fancy

It's not about being fancy. It's about the experimentation and realizing that cooking isn't that hard and the pride of "ownership". Whatever you do if you do make it and you find a recipe that uses ketchup.......run away. I used tomato puree, brown sugar, molasses or maple syrup, cider vinegar and pull out all my spices and add a little here, a little there and finish with some liquid smoke.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about being fancy. It's about the experimentation and realizing that cooking isn't that hard and the pride of "ownership". Whatever you do if you do make it and you find a recipe that uses ketchup.......run away. I used tomato puree, brown sugar, molasses or maple syrup, cider vinegar and pull out all my spices and add a little here, a little there and finish with some liquid smoke.

all big reasons why i like cooking and have tried to convince some of my "but i dont know what im doing" friends/family into realizing that they probably know plenty enough to give most dishes a shot. doesnt have to come out perfect to still be pretty darn satisfying .

Edited by NoSaint

all big reasons why i like cooking and have tried to convince some of my "but i dont know what im doing" friends/family into realizing that they probably know plenty enough to give most dishes a shot. doesnt have to come out perfect to still be pretty darn satisfying .

This is why one gets married and has kids. Culinary guinea pigs.

I did it the hard way. Chained to a professional stove for 25 years.

Last weekend I did about 10 pounds of chicken thighs over charcoal. Bone in, skin on (trimmed). Marinated overnight in soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, 2 heads of garlic, smashed lemongrass, a generous handful of chopped thai chilies, tumeric, coriander and white pepper.

Cooked them over indirect heat, meat side down until the fat was rendered out of the skin, then knocked the coals down a bit more and finished the thighs over the coals skin side down to get that nice crispy skin. Sweet jesus was that good.

I've had one in the fridge for several weeks. Put it in a canning jar and boil it completely covered in water and you're good to go for a long time. I've been doing some canning and preserving lately.

I definitely need to consider canning, thanks.

I need to dig out the pulled pork recipe to get the bbq sauce recipe.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I definitely need to consider canning, thanks.

I need to dig out the pulled pork recipe to get the bbq sauce recipe.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Ok but I'm pretty sure my recipe is shorter. But a hell of a lot spicier. That is the important part isn't it?

But seriously I don't have a recipe. I just opet the pantry and the spice drawer and start pouring **** in.

Edited by Chef Jim

Ok but I'm pretty sure my recipe is shorter. But a hell of a lot spicier. That is the important part isn't it?

But seriously I don't have a recipe. I just opet the pantry and the spice drawer and start pouring **** in.

My ingredients:

light brown sugar

ketchup

apple juice

diced/cooked onions

a tad of: mustard, Worcestershire and liquid smoke

Canned tomato sauce or chili sauce

Sauteed onions

brown sugar

Maple syrup

Cider vinegar

Cayenne

White pepper

Fresh ground black pepper

Red pepper flakes

Cumin (maybe)

Chili powder (sometimes)

Mustard powder (why not?)

Garlic powder (have to get rid of it somehow)

Tomato paste (if I have it and don't want to cook it all day)

Liquid smoke

Hey look, mines longer AND spicier.

Edited by Chef Jim

When making your own BBQ sauce, do you cook it in a pot and let it cool? Or do you just mix it all cold?

Comes to a boil, simmers, then cools.

Canned tomato sauce or chili sauce

Sauteed onions

brown sugar

Maple syrup

Cider vinegar

Cayenne

White pepper

Fresh ground black pepper

Red pepper flakes

Cumin (maybe)

Chili powder (sometimes)

Mustard powder (why not?)

Garlic powder (have to get rid of it somehow)

Tomato paste (if I have it and don't want to cook it all day)

Liquid smoke

Hey look, mines longer AND spicier.

I'm gonna add cayenne to mine now.

Edited by Gugny

When making your own BBQ sauce, do you cook it in a pot and let it cool? Or do you just mix it all cold?

For mine I saute the onions then add the tomato and everything else and slowly simmer for a couple of hours until it gets the right thickness.

Ok I'm back on the salad diet this week and this thread is killing me!

I need to do that next week. Possibly two weeks. The quick/heavy dose of nice weather, coupled with knowing this is my last week of unemployment, have put me in a perpetual state of celebration.