BBQ Question

At work we have a classic Weber kettle & a cheapo CharBroil propane unit by our shelter that my co-workers and I have chipped in for. The propane grill has a sparker that doesn't work anymore. This is what I use to light both, just gotta be careful you keep the cutting torch from blowing through the side of the grill! That would suck balls royally! ;-) LoL

post-1877-0-64388400-1397275071_thumb.jpeg

Just joking... Actually I use this all the time, works great:

post-1877-0-38015700-1397275137_thumb.jpg

Really... Even on family outings , camping, etc... I always pack the BernzOmatic... Just hold that to the pile of charcoal near the bottom for about 5 minutes and it will start. Heck, point it up the bottom vents while resting the torch and it is handsfree! :-) But... I have resorted to wheeling out the oxy-acetylene cutting torch on one occasion when we were out of mapp for the hand torch. Nobody smokes anymore and a flame source is hard to come by. The hand sparker is is a pain to get in the gas grill and I don't want to loose the hair on my wrist... I guess somebody should just donate a box of long matches to lunchroom!

Trying to get a grill started so you can burn a burger for lunch is a powerful urge!!... You will do anything to avoid the toaster oven and microwave on a sunny 80 degree day! LoL ;-)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that attitude you probably live on a cul-de-sac.

But now that we're talking lump charcoal, what brand do you guys use? I'm always a little paranoid about foreign matter in bags of lump and tend to inspect it carefully when filling the chimney starter.

It depends on where I am when I need it, but I stick to two brands: Lazzari (which I get at BevMo) or the brand put out by BBQ galore. Both of them are really clean, but mostly they don't spark up when they're first starting to burn in the chimney. The cheaper brands, like the one at Home Depot, throw sparks everywhere, but the one's I listed are clean, long burning, and you don't need a full chimney unless you plan to do some smoking.

It depends on where I am when I need it, but I stick to two brands: Lazzari (which I get at BevMo) or the brand put out by BBQ galore. Both of them are really clean, but mostly they don't spark up when they're first starting to burn in the chimney. The cheaper brands, like the one at Home Depot, throw sparks everywhere, but the one's I listed are clean, long burning, and you don't need a full chimney unless you plan to do some smoking.

How do you start the fire with no chimney?

When you're at the grocery store, have them put your groceries in paper bags, not plastic. One usually suffices per chimney

We use Trader Joe paper bags, though I always get the evil eye from Greepeace when they're outside getting signatures for something.

Their look usually says "Why aren't you using your re-useable bag?"

My return look usually says "You all smell like porpoise, ya damn hippies."

What are these paper and plastic bags of which you speak??

BTW since they went to requiring you to use re-usable bags or pay for paper here there has been an increase in food borne illnesses. Another government idea not thought out well.

With that attitude you probably live on a cul-de-sac.

It's illegal to not live on a cul-de-sac in Orange county.

BTW since they went to requiring you to use re-usable bags or pay for paper here there has been an increase in food borne illnesses. Another government idea not thought out well.

Wow ...

In a paper titled “Grocery Bag Bans and Foodborne Illness,” Jonathan Klick and Joshua D. Wright, from the University of Pennsylvania Institute for Law & Economics, point to what they say is a “46 percent increase in the deaths from foodborne illnesses” in San Francisco since the city banned the distribution of plastic bags in 2007.

How do you start the fire with no chimney?

I've never tried to use lump charcoal without a chimney, so my first recommendation would be to buy a chimney.

We'll get to banning them down here right after we get done banning people from blowing scented water vapor into the air.

I've never tried to use lump charcoal without a chimney, so my first recommendation would be to buy a chimney.

We'll get to banning them down here right after we get done banning people from blowing scented water vapor into the air.

I misread your post that I replied to. I thought you said you didn't use a chimney at all. Disregard, please!!!

Wow, really! I could imagine... People are probably slobs with those re-usable bags. It isn't like you can throw those cheap, Chinese made re-usable bags in the wash... They'd probably fall apart.

Ain't this great, I figured something like this would happen. Remember when we had the plastic bag discussion topic here? Remember some teenage was being honored for her crusade against disposable bag? This is so typical, land of the stupid people causing unintended consequences. Now, I wonder what the footprint is to make these re-usable bags is? Now they gotta be washed, water, soap, etc... Enviros really pump me with their green crusades.

Next... It will be something like too many people are burning paper. Or too many people are burning BBQ's. Don't they want to ban fireplaces now in some parts of the Bay Area. What's next w/these Greenies?

Wow ...

In a paper titled “Grocery Bag Bans and Foodborne Illness,” Jonathan Klick and Joshua D. Wright, from the University of Pennsylvania Institute for Law & Economics, point to what they say is a “46 percent increase in the deaths from foodborne illnesses” in San Francisco since the city banned the distribution of plastic bags in 2007.

Crazy! Throw them in the laundry, see them fall apart, make some more in a cesspool that is China! Re-usable bags, sewn by some 8 year girl chained to a sewing machine in Vietnam! Ain't this great!

Next they will be telling me I can't waste too much salt in my water softener. Or, I gotta save water when the softener regenerates itself... Oh wait, that is already law in California! Crazy!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Okay fellas, butt has been on the Egg for a few hours, wings will go on around 2.30, beans and coleslaw made.

82 , on the porch watching Masters Sunday, with a mess of friends, eating smoked meat and drinking beer.

Almost as good as a Bills Sunday!

BTW, I am partial to South Carolina mustard based sauces....must be the German in me!

FYI...grillers...this is one of the best steaks I've made. The cooking style is different, and you would be correct in thinking, "Wait. You put the steak directly on the charcoal!" and yet it is truly amazing, especially with the peppers.

Caveman Porterhouse with Poblano Stir Fry.

Make sure you use lump charcoal, not briquettes. Try it, dammit.

Bought a chimney yesterday to you can all stop making fun of me. Bought a rack of lamb and cut it into chops marinated them in garlic and rosemary. Also grilled some chicken breasts for the week.

How did you like the chimney?

Friggen rack o lamb so expensive now, only do when just the wife and I. No way I feeding those rotten children rack of lamb, and yes they love it!

FYI...grillers...this is one of the best steaks I've made. The cooking style is different, and you would be correct in thinking, "Wait. You put the steak directly on the charcoal!" and yet it is truly amazing, especially with the peppers.

Caveman Porterhouse with Poblano Stir Fry.

Make sure you use lump charcoal, not briquettes. Try it, dammit.

I have done that minus the peppers next time

How did you like the chimney?

Friggen rack o lamb so expensive now, only do when just the wife and I. No way I feeding those rotten children rack of lamb, and yes they love it!

The rack was only $19 and the chimney worked great!

I have the large and quite frankly wish I had the XL.

I have the large and you can increase the capacity and versatility of your egg dramatically with the "customer combo" from the ceramic grill store. I can do six racks of ribs or four butts at a time with this set up. Plus it allows you to cook high in the dome for great pizza and the "spider" accessory in the kit allows you to get down below the fire ring for searing. You'll toss your plate setter if you get this rig.

http://shop.ceramicg...customer-combo/

You did say this:

"I'm in the market for a new propane grill this spring and have been looking around the last few days.

Not a pro, or looking for something elaborate, but not looking for a disposable cheapo one either."

I am not sure you aren't going to find a "non-throwaway" one for under 300... Weber does make the Spirit line... They are cheaper... 300-500.

You do get what you pay for.

EDIT: 200 dollars off of 500 is nice!

This is so true. We made the same mistake a couple times. Instead of buying $700 Weber we got sucked into a shiny stainless steel Costco one for a $200 less.Pain in the butt to clean because instead of having 2 or 3 cast grates this one had individual rods! Had to take each one out to clean it. Less than two years the first one rusted out. Not the nice exterior of it but the burners. Costco was great when we took it back but we had to get the same make from them to replace it because thats all they had. Same thing happened to that one!. Next one I got the same Weber Genisis that you have and have never looked back. Easy to clean. No sign of burners rotting away. I replaced the grates and the triangular baffles underneath but that's no biggie. We use our grill a lot. Cheap man always pays twice. In our case three times.

Would be funnier if it wasn't a real possibility. :blush:

This is so true. We made the same mistake a couple times. Instead of buying $700 Weber we got sucked into a shiny stainless steel Costco one for a $200 less.Pain in the butt to clean because instead of having 2 or 3 cast grates this one had individual rods! Had to take each one out to clean it. Less than two years the first one rusted out. Not the nice exterior of it but the burners. Costco was great when we took it back but we had to get the same make from them to replace it because thats all they had. Same thing happened to that one!. Next one I got the same Weber Genisis that you have and have never looked back. Easy to clean. No sign of burners rotting away. I replaced the grates and the triangular baffles underneath but that's no biggie. We use our grill a lot. Cheap man always pays twice. In our case three times.

Would be funnier if it wasn't a real possibility. :blush:

Yeah... That's the greatest thing... Easy cleaning. The new Webers (Genesis) do have the burners perpendicular to the front... I hear that the old Webers had them transverse, some say that was better.

So a little update, bought the one I was looking at on Thursday night. It is normally $500, on sale for $298 (Canadian), Char-Broil Gourmet IIRC

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-grills/gourmet-tru-infrared-series/char-broil-gourmet-t-36d-463251713.html

It took me maybe 2hours total (spread over thursday night and Sunday) to assemble. The Home Depot I bought it from would assemble it for free bought I would have been waiting til atleast tomorrow to get it cause the assembly guy is only in Mon & Tues and had over 15 grills to assemble.

The grill feels solid, not like the cheaper $100-200 grills. 3 easy to remove and clean porcelain coated cast iron cooking grill surfaces, plus the plate underneath is like a giant bowl to catch anything that drips through and is easily removable to clean.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, my propane tank had about 2 minutes of gas in it that was enough to get it started and make sure it worked. Would have been done sooner and enjoyed a few nice BBQ'd meals on it already but a family emergency that took up the weekend keeping me away.

I know that everyone says 'you get what you pay for' or that its better to just buy the expensive one but thats not always true. I can't justify spending more on a grill then what I purchased my kitchen stove for and I'm not a gourmet cook who needs something super expensive to cook some chicken, steaks, hot dogs or burgers on. Charcoal over Propane doesn't work for cooking during the week when I'm not getting home to start cooking til 5:30/6pm. I just want something that I can light and take a few minutes to get it up to temperature and start cooking.

My last grill worked fine, bought it for about $100 from a place around here that sells returns/refurbs from Sears and it worked great for about 5 years. Only issue I had was the lower drip tray rotted out badly last summer from leaving it outside all year (covered in the winter), and when I was grabbing it off the back deck when moving in early december (when we had the first big snowstorm here, yup that was the weekend I was moving) it was frozen to the deck and the side tables broke when trying to get it off the deck. Atleast now my new house has a garage where i can store it out of the weather