Jacobs Family front runners?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that this article warranted its own thread to not get lost in one of the other ownership threads. http://mobile.buffal...ticleRedirect=1

The Jacobs family has the wealth, ties to the region and ownership experience. This would be a fantastic move for the Bills and WNY.

Link isn't working. Possibly because it's the mobile link?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/jacobs-family-reportedly-leads-list-of-bills-suitors-with-local-ties-20140406

(the non mobile link)

This was a nice way to wake up on a Sunday Morning.

Stan Kroenke has set the precedent by owning the St Louis Rams as well as the Colorado Avs and Denver Nuggets. I believe he transferred ownership of the Avs and the Nuggets to his son to comply with NFL Ownership Rules.

Stan Kroenke has set the precedent by owning the St Louis Rams as well as the Colorado Avs and Denver Nuggets. I believe he transferred ownership of the Avs and the Nuggets to his son to comply with NFL Ownership Rules.

I was going to post the same thing.

They can get around it by transferring to one of the kids as the article indicates.

I get that but don't you think the NFL has that rule for a reason and just might find out it's been transferred to kin? In addition I'm sure there's all kinds of other issues surrounding just "transferring" around a $250 million business. Part and parcel why Ralph couldn't just sell it wink wink before he passed. These two statements kind of indicate both sides of our argument.

“As long as the family has the ownership of the Bruins, they can’t own anything related to the Bills,” said Wendy Watkins, a Delaware North spokeswoman.

To which Jacobs’ son, Jeremy Jr., said: “That said, we will do what we can to ensure that the Bills stay in this town.”

Edited by Triple Threat

I get that but don't you think the NFL has that rule for a reason and just might find out it's been transferred to kin? In addition I'm sure there's all kinds of other issues surrounding just "transferring" around a $250 million business. Part and parcel why Ralph couldn't just sell it wink wink before he passed. These two statements kind of indicate both sides of our argument.

“As long as the family has the ownership of the Bruins, they can’t own anything related to the Bills,” said Wendy Watkins, a Delaware North spokeswoman.

To which Jacobs’ son, Jeremy Jr., said: “That said, we will do what we can to ensure that the Bills stay in this town.”

Kroenke did it. There is certainly precedent.

Both Jacobs and Pegula would be great choices. Would be pleased if either one emerges as the eventual owner.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Both Jacobs and Pegula would be great choices. Would be pleased if either one emerges as the eventual owner.

It just seems likely due to the penalties of moving, it would be an owner wanting to keep the team here. If an LA owner took the gamble of waiting 5 years, what if another team moves prior 2020. The article from the News this morning was helpful. What is a little more scary is if it is not one of the guys continually mentioned, than it could be an owner with a London plan which would make sense to develop that market over 5 years. You knw the NFL would approve that proposal.

In Pegula or Jacobs we trust.

As has been discussed, with several potential buyers with the money and desire to keep the team in Buffalo, along with Ralph's refusal to move the team and voting against other teams from moving, the NFL would have a huge black eye if they allowed the sale to a group looking to move the team.

The Bruins would likely be a stumbling block. It would be hard to trade a franchise like that for the Bills.

No way. NHL is minor leagues compared to the NFL, regardless of the respective quality of the teams.

No way. NHL is minor leagues compared to the NFL, regardless of the respective quality of the teams.

But the Bruins are one of the Original 6. A lot of prestige in owning them. It's not like the Coyotes or Panthers.

Some very good news in this article:

- Buzz about the Jacobs family and their ability to work around their ownership of the Bruins

- Pegula's continued cautious statements about ownership of the Bills but also expressions of interest in keeping the team local

- Trump's money man went out of his way to try to position his boss as a very serious suitor

- Schumer quote: "“I am even more optimistic this week than I was last week that we can keep the Bills in Buffalo”

- Analysis of the Bills lease agreement by the Raiders exec: “I’m familiar with the broad strokes. It struck me at that time that it was a bold, clear statement by Ralph Wilson he wanted to provide every single opportunity for the Bills to thrive in Buffalo.” (Thanks Mr. Wilson!)

- This analysis from a consultant for NFL team relocations: "“There are several reasons why the lease agreement that Ralph Wilson agreed to two years ago is greatly beneficial to Bills fans and which leads to a more likely scenario of the team staying somewhere in the region on a long-term basis,” Ganis said. “It’s not an assurance, but it certainly adds to the probability that the team will stay somewhere in the region.”