Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

Spiller had 1 great year. Bush had less opportunities and has been more consistent. I guess that we are going to disagree because they are virtually identical to me. I have seen tons of both and very few differences. Who would you say is the best comparison to Spiller if not Reggie? They are both rich man's versions of Darren Sproles. I like both players but neither is AD.

agreed.

bush had never gotten 200 carries until 3 years ago (his final 3 years in NO were 200 carries total)... in the 3 seasons hes had 200 carries he has topped 1000 yards twice and had 984 once.... (an aside - i always find it amusing when people include 1000 yard seasons that are 1001 yards but will leave out a 999 yard season when comparing resumes - not particularly directed at this thread, though the 984 did put it in my mind)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhhh....yes...let me see....with crying needs for OT WR and TE we go out of our way to find another running in the last years of his career to complement our two very good running backs.

Neither of which can make it through a season healthy. And who says both would be here if we signed CJ? I could see spiller still as trade bait come draft day

Compare then strictly as rushers. Bush barely got 1,000 yards twice in 8 years averaging 5 & 4.5 ypc. Spiller topped 1,200 averaging 6 ypc while splitting time with a very good rb. IMO, Spiller is a much better pure rb.

Spiller is NOT An every down, full season back. He can't stay healthy, pulls himself out of games etc. This has been debated and proven many times over. I get it, fans drink koolaid and what we have is the greatest players in the NFL...other than even with CJ we can't have a winning season. Sorry he is just another percy Harvin type that needs 15 touches in the slot and return kickoffs

Pass... CJ is better than CJ2K. Faster too :)

Are y'all CRAZY??? Do you know how explosive the Bills offense could be with CJ and CJ2K? It'll be like Thurman and Kenny Davis on steroids. How will teams defend the fact that when one comes out the game the other comes in. With Mike Williams taking TJ Graham's spot you now have a throw it up to guy, a slot guy who can't be covered, another explosive guy on the outside in Woods. Throw in Goodwin and you have speed everywhere. If CJ2K is acquired then I want the Bills to go hard at OL in draft.

Spiller has a player option, I think, at the end of 2014 so could choose to leave, and Fred is 33 and a FA at the end of 2014. I think the Bills are looking toward the possibility of CJ leaving for more money than the Bills are willing to pay. The RB FA market isn't great but he may be worth more to another team than he is to the Bills in their particular offense.

couldn't disagree more.

CJ was injured and still showed explosiveness on several occasions last season, behind a piss-poor oline.

Fred is old.

Would not be surprised at all to see the Bills sign Johnson in a few days and Fast Freddy not make the 53. It's sad to say I know, but we finally have a forward thinking front office.

uhhhh....yes...let me see....with crying needs for OT WR and TE we go out of our way to find another running in the last years of his career to complement our two very good running backs.

It says 4 teams discussed potential trades...means nothing....kinda like a definite maybe....It just could have been a phone call or two and that's it. Nothing to get upset about.

The only issue with so many saying that they were probably just checking the price is the report that they were one of the top bidders.

Yeah, I'm with you. They weren't checking the price. It's always wise to do your due diligence but getting involved is a little different. The Bills FO is an aggressive group and will do what they can to improve the team.

couldn't disagree more.

CJ was injured and still showed explosiveness on several occasions last season, behind a piss-poor oline.

Fred is old.

Would not be surprised at all to see the Bills sign Johnson in a few days and Fast Freddy not make the 53. It's sad to say I know, but we finally have a forward thinking front office.

I think Jackson would make the team. But he is too old and prone to injury now to be counted on. They probably figured that between all three guys with injuries they would need all 3.

Spiller had 1 great year. Bush had less opportunities and has been more consistent. I guess that we are going to disagree because they are virtually identical to me. I have seen tons of both and very few differences. Who would you say is the best comparison to Spiller if not Reggie? They are both rich man's versions of Darren Sproles. I like both players but neither is AD.

I'm partial to a Jamaal Charles comparison.

I think Spiller doesn't pass block well enough for Hackett's offense and that's why they're not enamored with him. I don't think it helps with him bouncing outside either, especially if they want to hurry up. I would think they'd rather have a back that hit the hole hard and got what he could to help the rhythm of the offense.

Maybe Bills learned their lesson with Byrd. Trade him before he walks for nothing. There's no way Jackson is going anywhere. Guy is the heart and soul of the team. He'd be fighting for extra yards in a wheelchair.

makes a ton of sense.

This is a valid point.

Let's not forget that we did sign Anthony Dixon, whom I think will be doing more than just Special Teams. Granted he's not a spectacular RB, but he is a good insurance policy.

Anthony Dixon is not likely to produce much as a running back. Behind one of the league's best offensive lines in SF he wasn't much more than a 3 yards per carry back. His success on short yardage plays wasn't all that impressive either.

3)They aren't giving up on Spiller for Chris Johnson.

Probably not, but maybe Spiller, a #9 selection of an NFL draft, is on his way out. Do you think this is possible? I for one do. If you disagree, let's have a conversation about all of the football games Spiller has won for the Buffalo Bills. ;)

ugh so many of you dont get that spiller was the number one weapon banged up or not.

If you were playing the Bills and had to game plan against their offense you would key in on Spiller every play and dare someone else to beat you. EJ hasnt proven he can consistently.

Healthy Spiller was good enough to make Gailey look good (if 6-10 is good), but banged up Spiller was not enough to make Hackett and his carousel of QBs look good, especially since the book was out on Spiller.

Edited by uncle flap

ugh so many of you dont get that spiller was the number one weapon banged up or not.

If you were playing the Bills and had to game plan against their offense you would key in on Spiller every play and dare someone else to beat you. EJ hasnt proven he can consistently.

Healthy CJ was good enough to make Gailey look good (if 6-10 is good), but banged up Spiller was not enough to make Hackett and his carousel of QBs look good, especially since the book was out on Spiller.

We can pretend that Spiller is a dynamic player. It is probably fun to do, but the fact is that he just is not. He has far too many plays in which he gains 2 or less yards. He cannot block. He often comes up short of the first down, and he is just plain dumb.

Spiller is a decent situational player and even at that he needs lots of help. He doesn't seem to see holes very well and needs wide lanes. And let's not forget the injuries.

Other than the above, he was a solid draft selection at #9.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Yup. Gailey had his faults, but he was one of the best coaches I have ever seen with screens. Biggest disappointment from the offense this year was the lack of screens. Spiller is an animal in space. They are very few backs as explosive.

This is a sore spot for me too.

Hacketts round peg square hole with Spiller .

They best sort that out because they short changed the Offense last year trying to make a point . and freaking out about the QB situation constantly.

We can pretend that Spiller is a dynamic player. It is probably fun to do, but the fact is that he just is not. He has far too many plays in which he gains 2 or less yards. He cannot block. He often comes up short of the first down, and he is just plain dumb.

Spiller is a decent situational player and even at that he needs lots of help. He doesn't seem to see holes very well and needs wide lanes.

Other than the above, he was a solid draft selection at #9.

Well, I do think Spiller is a dynamic player. He's not AP, but even AP, whom I think all would agree is a dynamic player, can only get you so far. Maybe a sniff at the playoffs.

My point is that calling Spiller trash or "just a guy" isn't fair because the Bills had no other viable option, and everyone knew it. So to use that as an indictment of Spiller or Hackett is foolish IMO.

If I ran a team I'd trade any RB in this league for a first round pick. I'd take a 2nd round pick for maybe all but two or three in certain situations/on certain teams.

They're just RB's.

Hurtful words Brother :( Edited by 3rdand12