Bills acquire WR mike Williams

My point is if they are thinking of keeping him, and Stevie, AND drafting a TE in the first or second, I can see this being a decent move. If not brilliant. I just don't think that is the reasoning.

If they are thinking of dumping Stevie for him, I'm totally against it. If they're thinking of going with the TEs they have and not drafting WRs high, I'm pretty much against it. The ONLY way this works to me is if he is VERY good, AND they keep Stevie (paying two guys 7m each) AND have a new TE.

I just don't see all those things happening.

I have no idea where on Earth this idea of dumping SJ13 is coming from or why it remains so steady in converstion.

It deserves no buzz, no attention. We shouldn't cut him. Its a bad move.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good deal in my mind.

$1.2m this year, plus $600k bonus.

It's cheap and good insurance in case Evans is gone. Even next year, his base is only $5.2m, so $8m for 2 years from a fairly young receiver who has produced. This puts pressure on Graham. I think it'll be Williams/Woods on the outside, with SJ in the slot.

Anyone here able to post a list of the WR's we have?

Sj13

Marcus Easley

Kevin Elliot

TJ Graham

Marquise Goodwin

Robert Woods

Mike Williams

Chris Hogan

Who else?

Brandon Kauffman

Cordell Roberson

Chris Summers

Ramses Barden

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 56s

If Bills decide they only want Williams for 1 year, they can release him prior to start of 2015 league year, before $1M roster bonus is due

You want so badly to tie taking an OT at 9 with Glenn's eventual departure. Why worry about what may or may not happen 2 years down the line? Why not worry about putting the best team on the field? The Bills will no no cap troubles until they have to worry about paying a QB. IF we get to that point then you can worry about how everyone is going to get paid.

Because teams should always always always think about the near term, mid-term, and long term future. Thinking short term has been part of the Bills trouble for years. I thought Whaley would have learned that from the Steelers.

I'm not a huge fan of this move at all. Too big a risk for too much money, especially if we are keeping Stevie. If we keep this guy over Stevie, and then don't draft Evans, I will like it less. I also hate the idea of OT at #9 because we will lose Glenn, IMO.

That said...

If the thinking is to go after Ebron, and keep Stevie... then the line-up of Stevie. Mike Williams. Woods. Goodwin. Ebron. Chandler. Spiller. Jackson. could really do some damage is they came together at all.

I just don't think they are going to do that.

thought of all that, but it's a talented playmaker who had 9 TDs in the NFL in 1 season for a team that needs playmakers….all for really nothing. And it's competition at WR. The Bills are taking an OT. Everything points to it…..

I'm not a huge fan of this move at all. Too big a risk for too much money, especially if we are keeping Stevie. If we keep this guy over Stevie, and then don't draft Evans, I will like it less. I also hate the idea of OT at #9 because we will lose Glenn, IMO.

That said...

If the thinking is to go after Ebron, and keep Stevie... then the line-up of Stevie. Mike Williams. Woods. Goodwin. Ebron. Chandler. Spiller. Jackson. could really do some damage is they came together at all.

I just don't think they are going to do that.

so EJ makes a 9th player. Wood has to give him the ball. The question is, who is the lucky 11th guy on the field? We need an 11th guy what is Whaley doing, sleeping?

Because teams should always always always think about the near term, mid-term, and long term future. Thinking short term has been part of the Bills trouble for years. I thought Whaley would have learned that from the Steelers.

Would you rather have 1 year of Mike Williams or 1 year of John Potter? This is essentially a 1 year tryout for a guy that has had a double digit TD season and another season of 996 yards.

Weird..... 6th round picks don't often make the team in the long run. So my question is... why the heck not? Maybe being near home he can straighten out.

This all points to a tackle or Ebron.

Edited by Iraq Vet

I have no idea where on Earth this idea of dumping SJ13 is coming from or why it remains so steady in converstion.

It deserves no buzz, no attention. We shouldn't cut him. Its a bad move.

Because that very well may be their thinking. Do you pay two guys 7m a year who are pretty good but not great.

I agree. We shouldn't think of cutting him. Hopefully, Whaley will come out and say straight out that they are not even considering it. That would make me feel better about this.

My real problem is that I think this has only a small chance of striking gold. And a much greater chance of blowing up in our face.

Well this is the definition of a low risk, high reward move. I dont see anything wrong with that.

What I dont get is why half the people on the board dont want us to take an OT? RT was one of the worst positions on the team last year... and besides that its not like we'll be reaching for a player at that position. Theres a good chance that the BPA at our pick will be an OT.

Would you rather have 1 year of Mike Williams or 1 year of John Potter? This is essentially a 1 year tryout for a guy that has had a double digit TD season and another season of 996 yards.

Well, I said it before. IF the reasoning is keeping Williams and Stevie and going after a TE, I love the move. I'm just not certain that is the idea.

So you use a 6th rounder for one year of a troubled guy, who is going to get paid well if he has a comeback year? He will want his salary and refuse a restructure that pays him 3-4 mil a year. And maybe lose a guy I think is better than him?

We better be keeping Stevie or else have another major move at WR or TE in the works.

If he stinks we will cut him. If he's average we will cut him or restructure but not be happy with him. If he's good we will pay him 7m. I don't see much likelihood of him being really good and us paying him less.

Don't worry. EJ will not be able to distribute the ball to Williams, Stevie, Woods and Goodwin evenly. So Williams will NOT have a 1000 yard season.

Because that very well may be their thinking. Do you pay two guys 7m a year who are pretty good but not great.

I agree. We shouldn't think of cutting him. Hopefully, Whaley will come out and say straight out that they are not even considering it. That would make me feel better about this.

My real problem is that I think this has only a small chance of striking gold. And a much greater chance of blowing up in our face.

You're skipping one year ahead. For this year, MW only carries $1.8 mil and should fit nicely in the salary framework.

The concern you're talking about will happen if both Stevie and MW have a blowout 2014. I think then it will be a good problem for Whaley to solve.

I don't necessarily view it as a bad outcomes. If he's really good, then he'd be worth the $7mil/year. Bills will likely look to restructure at that time, and do a cap friendly extension. He'd pocket the same dollars, but in a different structure.

If he stinks or is mediocre, he won't have much bargaining power.

Agreed. But do they want to pay two guys 7m who are good but not great. That's the issue, IMO.

Don't worry. EJ will not be able to distribute the ball to Williams, Stevie, Woods and Goodwin evenly. So Williams will NOT have a 1000 yard season.

Oh phew, see I was worried I'd have to watch the games to see how the season turned out.