Mary Wilson - Controlling Owner?

1B4IDie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIght, but the NFL cannot be run by a group of individuals, there needs to be a majority owner. Hence, controlling owner, not named sole owner.

My problem is with your use of the term "owner". A trustee is not an owner; a trustee is a person who controls a trust. The trust is the owner of the asset, in this case, the Bills. If Mary is the sole trustee or one of several trustees, she is not an owner or controlling owner, although she might, as trustee, control the team.

My problem is with your use of the term "owner". A trustee is not an owner; a trustee is a person who controls a trust. The trust is the owner of the asset, in this case, the Bills. If Mary is the sole trustee or one of several trustees, she is not an owner or controlling owner, although she might, as trustee, control the team.

I never said a trustee is an owner. A trustee in this instance, is an administrator of a will. But an NFL team can't be owned by a group or trust without having someone with controlling interest. A majority stake. A controlling owner.

EDIT: Mary Wilson can be a trustee of Ralph Wilson's will AND be controlling owner of the Bills.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

You guys are all getting worked up for no reason. Ralph had to put the team in her name to avoid crazy estate taxes. She has no interest in being the owner. It clearly says in the letter that she will be working with the NFL to find a new long term owner. Nothing to see here

That is simply not true. It is possible that Mary is a beneficiary of the trust, but that does not make her the owner of the team or any particular percentage of the team. Either the team is "owned" by the trust, or it's not. If Mary is the majority or controlling owner, then the team is not owned by the trust. If true, this is most definitely unexpected and contrary to what we had been told earlier. As another poster said, if Mary is the owner then she can do with the team as she likes, although I am not sure what the NFL's internal rules are with regard to a team being passed on to a spouse or other beneficiary under the terms of a will.

Merely conjecture at this point. What we know at this point is the team is held in a trust, how or who gets a certain percentage of the sale of the franchise remains to be seen. I was simply stating Mary is not the majority owner, but could become a minority owner depending on how the estate is written.

Then you should have a problem with the Bills and not Waynecubed. The Bills website has "controlling owner" in the article title and body.

Merely conjecture at this point. What we know at this point is the team is held in a trust, how or who gets a certain percentage of the sale of the franchise remains to be seen. I was simply stating Mary is not the majority owner, but could become a minority owner depending on how the estate is written.

Yes, there is some conjecture involved, largely because the report is incomplete and contrary what was reported before. If the team is in fact owned by the trust, then Mary is not the owner. It also means that the team was not passed to any individual in Ralph's will; it was likely put into the trust before he died. (The terms of the trust probably prohibited the trustee from selling the team before Ralph's death.) When the team is sold, it will be sold by the trust and the proceeds, after taxes and expenses, would be distributed to the beneficiaries of the trust, of whom Mary is almost certainly one. In that context, this latest report makes little sense and is probably in error.

I always said the team would be passed to Mary and sold when the time was right and not sold immediately to the highest bidder. And I think that "controlling owner" is for the NFL's purposes, as she's probably the trustee.

My Theory....This means the team has been sold to others already. There is more than one owner. There might have been a couple of them secretly for years. This group probably will buy the remainder from Mary soon.

I suspected that Ralph had been selling small shares from Jim Kelly's group for years. This keeps money moved to Mary tax free at death. Your not a billionaire without a plan.

No surprise- there is no tax liability tgst way. I bet she retains a piece of the team when it is sold. I think this is a benefit for Buffalo as it seems she is a pro Buffalo person. She can help make sure the team passes to local interests.

Wayne Cubed and mannc:

The language that you folks are trying to interpret says Mary Wilson is the "controlling owner," but doesn't specify in what sense it is using the word "owner" - - my brother Darryl says it can be two different things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_law

An owner placing property into trust turns over part of his or her bundle of rights to the trustee, separating the property's legal ownership and control from its equitable ownership and benefits. This may be done for tax reasons or to control the property and its benefits if the settlor is absent, incapacitated, or dead.

Darryl doesn't know which meaning of "owner" was intended in the language you've been discussing because the exact language used is ambiguous. It would be consistent with earlier media reports about the team being placed in a trust, however, if Mary Wilson is now an "equitable owner" (sometimes called a "beneficial owner") because she is a beneficiary of the trust with a vested interest in the proceeds of any future sale of the team.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Wayne Cubed and mannc:

The language that you folks are trying to interpret says Mary Wilson is the "controlling owner," but doesn't specify in what sense it is using the word "owner" - - my brother Darryl says it can be two different things:

Darryl doesn't know which meaning of "owner" was intended in the language you've been discussing because the exact language used is ambiguous. It would be consistent with earlier media reports about the team being placed in a trust, however, if Mary Wilson is now an "equitable owner" (sometimes called a "beneficial owner") because she is a beneficiary of the trust with a vested interest in the proceeds of any future sale of the team.

You are a real wiki scholar.

Wayne Cubed and mannc:

What does your other brother Darryl think?