Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're only allowed 30 visitors at your facility, how can you test 100 players?

Only allowed 30 "non-local" players. However, 70 ATL-area players seems high. Maybe they did it at the pro days? Edited by YoloinOhio

The best player in this year's draft only had 3.5 sacks last year. If this is the case I would trade all of this year's picks for picks in future drafts.

People really cling to stats around here. Watch the film. He was double and sometimes triple teamed. Effort was low at many points, but nobody can play at the level he does sometimes on EVERY play. If they did they would be useless in crunch time. He doesn't get a huge contract right away, so he'll work his ass off to get there and beyond.

I'm hoping there's only 30 teams in such a scenario...Buffalo should NOT be talking about trading UP, let alone to #1, at ALL!!! For any reason! Now, EJ fails to progress in 2014 or just doesn't show he has "it" to win, then I'm ALLLLLLL in for selling and trading everything in sight to get to #1 overall next year so the BILLS can finally put a Franchise QB behind center, IF the man known as EJ Manuel does not demonstrate the capacity to be their Franchise QB in 2014...but if that's the case, I think we'll be having this conversation next year with the BILLS at or near the top of the Draft....ughh!

I endorse this post 100%............The Bills HAVE to be thinking this way, I hope.

People really cling to stats around here. Watch the film. He was double and sometimes triple teamed. Effort was low at many points, but nobody can play at the level he does sometimes on EVERY play. If they did they would be useless in crunch time. He doesn't get a huge contract right away, so he'll work his ass off to get there and beyond.

I think the 3.5 sacks is a meaningful stat. I watched Bruce Smith get doubled and tripled blocked for years, and he still got to the QB consistently. I wouldn't take Clowney with the 9th overall pick, let alone the first. As for the contract, he will make millions as a top 3 pick. I think it is probable that his effort will called into question. I think a first round pick needs to have great measurable and productive play. That is not the case with Clowney. I believe the Bills will end up with a better player at 9 than the team that takes Clowney.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

I think the 3.5 sacks is a meaningful stat. I watched Bruce Smith get doubled and tripled blocked for years, and he still got to the QB consistently. I wouldn't take Clowney with the 9th overall pick, let alone the first. As for the contract, he will make millions as a top 3 pick. I think it is probable that his effort will called into question. I think a first round pick needs to have great measurable and productive play. That is not the case with Clowney. I believe the Bills will end up with a better player at 9 than the team that takes Clowney.

Completely agree...I agree with your point on Bruce and I'll add Reggie White and LT as well...White had 15 sacks in his Sr year at Tennessee...LT had 16 in his final year at UNC...Game-planning for elite talent is not something new that just came around a few years ago...It's been around for a while...No one should need to make excuses for a player who is truly great...

Clowney is a great athlete...An elite athlete...He's not yet an elite football player...Mayock said today he may be the best pure athlete ever...like...ever, ever...at the DE position...But this notion that all you have to do is put on the tape to see how special he is...I could not possibly disagree with that more...I have put on the tape...I've seen a ton of Clowney...Probably more that any other player in this Draft...I've seen him live, watched tape on him, and followed his career from the day he showed up at Columbia while I lived two hours north in Charlotte...Clowney is exactly the player his Jr and Sr stats showed...He's a guy with amazing, super-hero-like, ability who can make great, game changing plays, and at the same time completely disappear for stretches of games...And sometimes for entire games...He is not a naturally instinctive player...Or...He is, but he just does not care enough...His work ethic is constantly in question...This is not anything new...He consistently flashes into the backfield only to come up with a just-miss...He's just not anywhere near the football player his hype would have you believe yet...Can he get there? Definitely he can...Some players grow up fast when they get to the NFL and it becomes a job...And then again some don't...

I would never bet against a player like Clowney because his natural ability is literally off-the-charts...But the red flags are there with him as well...And anyone who just assumes he's going to put in the work necessary to be as great as his hype would predict is taking a major, major leap of faith... B-)

I saw him dog it on a "crunch time" play vs. I think Mizzou. It was a make or break play for the whole ballgame - I think going for a 2. He got blocked and instead of getting up and chasing again, he just laid there and watched the rest of the play.............It was the same week that Mario got back up and hurried Tannehill on a Hail Mary just enough to throw him off.

I said this to people and was told "when Clowney gets paid as much as Mario" then he'll do that.............I don't know about that.

You can question his effort last year, and justifiably so...if you watch his games from 2012, there's no doubt at all: when he felt like playing, he was absolutely unblockable.

Was it the Bama game last year, there was some words from the O-lineman of Bama that Clowney took offense to and destroyed the entire line!

More trade up rumblings: https://twitter.com/...646626532560897

Links not working.... here's the tweet?

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 5m

2 teams that had conversations about moving into the Top 5 the last few days: The #Lions & #Bills. As of now 1 exec said they want a bargain

EDIT: It's good to know they are looking for a bargain, that will appease some people.

Edited by Wayne Cubed