18 game regular season "dead in the water"

papazoid

new NFLPA President Eric Winston: "No 18-game season on my watch"

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it’s going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/eric-winston-no-18-game-season-on-my-watch/

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it's going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.

http://profootballta...on-on-my-watch/

Leave it alone already! So sick of this debate. I don't want to see the Playoffs expanded. It's bad enough that an 8-7-1 team can get a wild card. We need 7-9 teams going to the playoffs? No thank you!

Edited by mattsox

A longer season with more games....

You don't need more games, just more weeks with games.

And if you want more primetime games put games on a Tuesday or Wednesday and use the extra bye week to cushion teams as they get back to the usual Sunday schedule.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Good, now the players just need to get the owners to agree that after first 3 weeks, Thursday night games can only be played after your bye week..

Good, now the players just need to get the owners to agree that after first 3 weeks, Thursday night games can only be played after your bye week..

I agree one hundred percent !!

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it's going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.

Well, since the owners gave the players veto over any effort ot expnad the regular season, it's safe to say that they really have no intent to propose an 18 game regular season.

That was just a ploy used by the owners to get the NFLPA to swallow the CBA. It was never a serious threat. More playoff games makes much more sense in an revenue sense.

Leave it alone already! So sick of this debate. I don't want to see the Playoffs expanded. It's bad enough that an 8-7-1 team can get a wild card. We need 7-9 teams going to the playoffs? No thank you!

mattsox, my good fellow, you are spot on per usual with your concern regarding watering down the playoff field. However, the realignment in 2002 seems to have really forced the league's hand with this. WIth 8 division winners filling 12 playoff spots, the 7-9/8-8 type teams are usually the ones getting in as the winner of a piss poor division. There's really no way to prevent that from occurring more frequently with this alignment. But, it has more often than not caused 10-6/11-5 teams to miss the playoffs where they wouldn't have under the previous alignment.

The only way to stop the majority if these .500 or even sub .500 teams from backing into the playoffs is to consolidate the divisions again so we're back to no more than 6 divisions. The teams that get in under this expanded playoff proposal will likely be teams with winning records.

If the owners want a longer season bring back the second bye week.

the second bye week was terrible. I know its a business but at some point enough is enough

Edited by Max997

Terrible how? Giving your team an extra week to heal up is terrible?

There was no flow to the season and was just too much. I believe the league even admitted it wasn't a good idea which is obvious since it was never used again

Building on this, Thursday night games should be played against a division opponent following the bye week, then play the same team the following week. Home and home, no long rest advantage to any teams.

Agreed.

Yet as we all know, this is not about making sense, it's about making money.

mattsox, my good fellow, you are spot on per usual with your concern regarding watering down the playoff field. However, the realignment in 2002 seems to have really forced the league's hand with this. WIth 8 division winners filling 12 playoff spots, the 7-9/8-8 type teams are usually the ones getting in as the winner of a piss poor division. There's really no way to prevent that from occurring more frequently with this alignment. But, it has more often than not caused 10-6/11-5 teams to miss the playoffs where they wouldn't have under the previous alignment.

The only way to stop the majority if these .500 or even sub .500 teams from backing into the playoffs is to consolidate the divisions again so we're back to no more than 6 divisions. The teams that get in under this expanded playoff proposal will likely be teams with winning records.

This is a really great analysis of the situation, and I have never seen it presented from this angle before.

Well done!

You don't need more games, just more weeks with games.

And if you want more primetime games put games on a Tuesday or Wednesday and use the extra bye week to cushion teams as they get back to the usual Sunday schedule.

Strongly agree, although I'd be against Tue/Wed games. The main revenue driver for the NFL is the national TV deal, which has been skyrocketing and presumably will continue to do so, since live sports are one of the few TV programs that are DVR-proof. A 16-game, 18-week regular season doesn't give you any added ticket/parking/concessions revenue, but it does give CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN another week of games to broadcast, and doesn't dilute the quality of those broadcasts very much. On top of that, you don't have to pay the players any more in this scenario*, as opposed to increasing every player contract by 15% or whatever.

*Okay, technically you would have to pay the players more, because the salary cap is defined as a percentage of revenue, and a bigger TV contract would result in a higher salary cap and salary floor. But there wouldn't be any change to existing contracts, which is something that would have to happen to increase the # of games in a season.

The NFL Season is perfect the way it is, the playoffs give the perfect incentive to finish in first place (Bye week plus home field advantage). Why they keep !@#$ing with the format is beyond me.

The off-season can get really boring.

Well, since the owners gave the players veto over any effort ot expnad the regular season, it's safe to say that they really have no intent to propose an 18 game regular season.

That was just a ploy used by the owners to get the NFLPA to swallow the CBA. It was never a serious threat. More playoff games makes much more sense in an revenue sense.

Pretty much.

New NFLPA president likes the idea of expanded playoffs:

"For the record, I don't put expanded playoffs in the same category as 18 games," Winston told SportsRadio 610 in Houston. "We're talking about one extra game possibly, for two teams or four teams total, if you would count both AFC [and] NFC."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/new-nflpa-president-likes-the-idea-of-expanded-playoffs/

Edited by papazoid

Now they just need to kill off the extra playoff games, which are a way worse idea.