Whaley confirms Kiko is moving to OLB

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely he's just a solid, all-around Sam and there are not enough "ooh and aah" highlights in any one particular dimension to pass off too many hyperbolic claims.

Isn't that exactly what we saw from him last year? Solid all around play? Nothing spectacular, but nothing too glaringly weak?

in another world I know I am either coaching or playing foot ball or maybe another sport. It'd be a dream job

Why not volunteer at a local high school? There must be a school without a big tax base that would appreciate the help.

GMs aren't going to give away any secrets during FA/pre-draft.

yea, yea, yea.

tim murray of the sabres doesn't give away secrets yet seems to be able to answer questions better without using company pat answers.

what's the big deal about saying how much cap room you have left ? i'm assuming he knows exactly within a half million what that number is every single day.

I want to like whaley, but so far, the only unit that has improved is special teams.

Hey jboys. I dont share your love of the brittle Mr. Poz, but appreciate your takes on D strategy. So I am torn on FA Spikes. On the one hand he is a tough, punishing run stopper in the middle. On the other hand he can't cover for squat. I noticed that a lot of people passed on the Patriots when he was in the game. I'm wondering if that would be the case here or would he be the answer to shoring up our run defense?

I got out of it, one of the top 3 OT's.

OT talent is deep in this draft class

I got out of it, one of the top 3 OT's.

THe Bills can draft either Morgan Moses or Antonio Richardson in the 2nd round. OT talent is deep in this class. Edited by bisonbrigade

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/6/2348325/covering-up-the-bengals-pass-rush-manny-lawson-scouting-report

Still, you can dig up internet opinion pieces that cover the entire gamut on Manny Lawson. He's an edge-rusher with zero coverage ability to a guy that really knows how to shut-down today's TEs, can play the run, and is a below-average pass rusher. The consensus is there is no consensus, sort of deal. Most likely he's just a solid, all-around Sam and there are not enough "ooh and aah" highlights in any one particular dimension to pass off too many hyperbolic claims.

id agree - hes athletic, hes got a good frame, he plays well but not spectacular in several areas. the scouting reports online likely lean on 3 games the person writing it watched and he might get beat by a tight end here and there but hes pretty good in coverage... the same could be said for nearly all his attributes from what i saw last year. nothing flashy just an all around good vet player.

Hey jboys. I dont share your love of the brittle Mr. Poz, but appreciate your takes on D strategy. So I am torn on FA Spikes. On the one hand he is a tough, punishing run stopper in the middle. On the other hand he can't cover for squat. I noticed that a lot of people passed on the Patriots when he was in the game. I'm wondering if that would be the case here or would he be the answer to shoring up our run defense?

with teams passing closer and closer to 60% of the time - its harder and harder to justify a player like spikes. especially if hes commanding any real money.

i think most GMs would go cheaper for such a specialized role, and hope a young mid round lb (or guy like jasper, or brinkley) will be able to help close the gap with a cheap price tag, a little more athleticism, and good attitude.

Lawson to Jack. It might be the best option. He is not awful in the run and inside .. crap. I don't know. This is something I have to process a little more. My quick hits:

Rivers as Sam for 2downs or slide to Mike

Kiko to Will 2downs

Lawson to Jack 2downs or in packages.

If Spikes is the target then he becomes the Mike. Lawson enters on 3rd down with Robey/Graham and we run a dime.

Ideally this would work best with Wilfork.

Dareus/Wilfork DT for 2 downs

Dareus/KWilliams for the 3rd

Change up all paces, rotate those DT's.

We need help and a big butt defensive tackle to shore the run. Spikes or any MLB will continue to get eaten alive until we have a gap eating space filling DT. This flood the gap rush the space doesn't do anything to help our LB's.

A lot to think on

Yes!

with teams passing closer and closer to 60% of the time - its harder and harder to justify a player like spikes. especially if hes commanding any real money.

i think most GMs would go cheaper for such a specialized role, and hope a young mid round lb (or guy like jasper, or brinkley) will be able to help close the gap with a cheap price tag, a little more athleticism, and good attitude.

You are likely correct. As it stands now I don't see anything different in our front 7 that would lead me to believe we're going to stop the run any better than last year. Moving Kiko to will is a first step but that hole in the middle seems huge to me.

You are likely correct. As it stands now I don't see anything different in our front 7 that would lead me to believe we're going to stop the run any better than last year. Moving Kiko to will is a first step but that hole in the middle seems huge to me.

It's still March. This roster is far from finished.

The only thing I disagree about is Spikes. WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT THIS GUY? He is epitome of SCUM. He poked eyes at UF, grapped players in not nice areas and he runs over a 5.0. There is a reason NE will not resign him. We do not want this guy representing our team. We need to find a MLB that can run if the opposition decides to throw it on first or second down. I will be really pissed if we do sign this guy.

OK, you have talked me out of Spikes a little, especially considering that he would command a decently large contract as well. It is quite curious that Whaley offered up their plan so early on in FA, but that could only mean they love a guy they already have (doubtful) or will be signing a veteran soon (perhaps someone Schwartz has had in Detroit?).

If they can get a Max Bullough or the kid from Wisconsin fairly early in the draft, I will still perform the cartwheel.

WR, TE, or Mack at #9 otherwise I will be dissapointed and I know Mack wont make it to 9

CBF

if we fill a need for our 'run package' ILB thru FA, we then have the luxury of taking Evans/Ebron in first or trade down for a couple 2nd rd picks if they want to shore up OT in the first rd and wait for the FSU WR and another solid ILB prospect in 2nd rd.. we have to get stronger up the middle.. Williams is coming along fine at SS, but we have to shore up 2nd level..