Whaley confirms Kiko is moving to OLB

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorence, but the OLB do more of the blitzing/pass rushing than the MLB right?

So we should see more sacks from Kiko this season right?

CBF

schwartz has traditionally had one of the lowest blitz rates in the league, so itll depend. i wouldnt expect a ton of kiko blitzes but you never know at this stage of the offseason

I'm dumbfounded as to why we havent even reached out to Spikes given the connection to Pepper Johnson

schwartz has traditionally had one of the lowest blitz rates in the league, so itll depend. i wouldnt expect a ton of kiko blitzes but you never know at this stage of the offseason

I mean generally speaking...

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I believe when he said on campus he was referring to "already on the roster". Mentioned Ty Powell

Maybe so - I thought he meant they had some guys on campus they were taking a look at and perceived that to mean FAs. You are probably right and he did say Ty Powell was a strong contender. Still feel like a rookie could win the job if they take one relatively high.

I'm dumbfounded as to why we havent even reached out to Spikes given the connection to Peppers

CBF

OBD is like a vault these days. There is no reason to think they haven't. Only that he has not been signed.

CBF

generally speaking he blitzes more in line with what wannstedt did, so im saying while the olb may be more prone to blitz between the positions - if we are cutting our number of blitzes down you might not actually see an increase for kiko still.

Edited by NoSaint

to add to it - isnt schwartzs scheme considered "aggressive" because he send the lineman up field instead of blitzing and kinda has a big thumper in the middle to clean up the inside run game? that would be a bit the opposite of what you are discussing with a big DT. Suh and fairley were known as pass rushers, haynesworth was disruptive in the backfield, etc...

it is aggressive and it will work with Dareus and KWilliams. But with only MWilliams setting an edge I worry about outside containment and bouncing back RB's to explioit the cut back lanes if the pressure is too far up field. Both DTs are quick but not agile and strength combined enough to get laterally across the field and do what Suh does. Dareus looked a lot better on his toes though.

Until we know what's at MLB I really can only draw guesses on what could be. But I am pretty certain I can come up with what should be.

it is aggressive and it will work with Dareus and KWilliams. But with only MWilliams setting an edge I worry about outside containment and bouncing back RB's to explioit the cut back lanes if the pressure is too far up field. Both DTs are quick but not agile and strength combined enough to get laterally across the field and do what Suh does. Dareus looked a lot better on his toes though.

Until we know what's at MLB I really can only draw guesses on what could be. But I am pretty certain I can come up with what should be.

with the wide 9 he tends to be vulnerable against the run a bit with the ends and tackles told go get the qb.... thats the aggression - in detroit if you dig in i think you find his ypc allowed isnt great, its that teams didnt rush against them as there were often shootouts on the offensive side and a weak secondary.

Edited by NoSaint

Lets see what Kiko can do outside, can't hurt to find out.

Well, really it can hurt. But I do agree with the move. Kiko's strength is his ability to read quickly and flow to the ball and the Weakside accentuates those talents

Well, really it can hurt. But I do agree with the move. Kiko's strength is his ability to read quickly and flow to the ball and the Weakside accentuates those talents

Yep - Pettine had said last year to the media that MLB was not his natural position and he was looking to move him to WLB as well, but they didn't have anyone else better to play MLB. He said that when they did, they would move him. That was his defense... now Schwartz may feel that he can play both and this is the best spot for him because he has other plans for MLB in his D.

So let me get this straight. Whaley is comfortable starting a 7th round, two time practise squad player with 9 career tackles at MLB??

CBF

That's the roster on March 14. They could still pick up a guy in FA or the draft who could walk into that starting job.