I'm mad as hell & I'm not gonna take it any more!

Virgil

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bring it. First round pick- Poz- let them go for nothing. Top lineman Levitre- let them go- and have no replacement plan. First round pick- Lynch- let him go for a 4th and win superbowl. First round pick Whitner- let him go. First round pick Clements- go. ETC. Waste first round picks, then either ignore their replacement, or waste another high draft pick replacing player instead of filling a hole at another position. Its maddening. And next year we have more free agents. I suppose we will let them go for nothing too. It is !@#$ing maddening

I am not trying to poke holes in your rant but Poz was a 2nd round pick.

Poz & Levitre received contracts above their value. It is not wise to overpay for pretty good players (see Dockery, Derrick). You overpay only for elite players. To your point you need a plan to replace them. The Nick Barnett stop gap to Kiko was fine IMO. Levitre is a different story. There was no plan in place. If they would have done the same thing (ie Brandon Moore) to a 2nd round pick this year -great. These guys are just pretty good players though.

Lynch was a mistake but I love the MMQBing on this one. 80% of the posters on here wanted him gone for bus tires. That whole situation was mishandled.

Whitner was an average player and easily replaced with the Byrd/Wilson combination. This was a good decision.

Clements played a couple of good years after leaving. You could have gone either way on this.

You have to put a value on players and if the market determines than it is more than you believe they are worth -they walk. It has to work that way. You cannot overspend and build a successful team. You pay the elite, draft the stars, and plug the holes in FA.

6237.jpgWe are most certainly not the "same old Bills". Mike Caussin caught 5 passes for 30 yards in 2011 under Chan Gailey and Fitzy. He was out on injured reserve for 2012 with an ACL and last year with a hip injury. Even though he hasn't sniffed the turf in two years, this 6'5" specimen will light it up. He's a ball magnet, has a motor that won't quit, a character guy, locker room leader and is a film junkie. "CaussinEffect" baby!!

You have to put a value on players and if the market determines than it is more than you believe they are worth -they walk. It has to work that way. You cannot overspend and build a successful team. You pay the elite, draft the stars, and plug the holes in FA.

Elite like Byrd, Lynch, and Peters? Those three players have departed in the last 5 years and brought the Bills only Eric Wood as a starting player. And I'm not even talking Levitre and Posluszny. See the trend?

If a team is average at drafting, which the Bills haven't been, then how do you get better when you're losing a solid or better contributor every year and signing lower to mid tier UFA's? You're only maintaining what you've got, which is a 9 or more loss team for going on a decade.

There is no plan. Even if there was a plan, it would be difficult to execute given the realities of attracting players to Buffalo and a team that has not made the playoffs in 14 years.

I know that many posters believe that it is a good thing not to overpay for our own players. I disagree. Until the team shows the willingness and the ability to keep its own players, the team will not have success and will not be able to attract free agents. Continuity is important, and when the current players see their peers leave, sometimes with bitterness, it creates future problems and hurts your ability to keep players in the future.

bring it. First round pick- Poz- let them go for nothing. Top lineman Levitre- let them go- and have no replacement plan. First round pick- Lynch- let him go for a 4th and win superbowl. First round pick Whitner- let him go. First round pick Clements- go. ETC. Waste first round picks, then either ignore their replacement, or waste another high draft pick replacing player instead of filling a hole at another position. Its maddening. And next year we have more free agents. I suppose we will let them go for nothing too. It is !@#$ing maddening

I agree man, and then we have Byrd. Arguably the best defensive player we've drafted in a long time - gone for nothing.

Get ready Buffalo, bc dareus will be demanding top 3 DT money very soon. Somehow he wont be worth it either.

Edited by bobobonators

Missed one. You keep the elite stars you drafted by paying them.

Who are we talking about? Byrd?

While I'm not in the "he's elite" camp, the Bills did offer him an elite contract--he didn't except it. Are you blaming Buffalo for that?

We don't know what Bills offered, but news speculation was that Bills were $1 mill/yr below what Saints offered. My guess is that the deal cratered around the guarantees, where Bills were not willing to go to $28 mil guaranteed. But the issue isn't this year. The deal needed to be done last year or before.

We don't know what Bills offered, but news speculation was that Bills were $1 mill/yr below what Saints offered. My guess is that the deal cratered around the guarantees, where Bills were not willing to go to $28 mil guaranteed. But the issue isn't this year. The deal needed to be done last year or before.

I think they weren't willing and the Saints over payed. Now they need to explain to the team why they cut all those players for a safety and explain to Graham how they can afford Byrd but he needs to wait. I think the Saints made a huge mistake here.

YUP.

So much whining...Byrd makes no difference to the success of this team....it starts and ends with EJ.

Funny how some of the posters that can't except what happened with Byrd are the same ones that are content to let EJ be the starter uncontested. It's 2014, no QB, no playoffs. Of all the FA that everyone complains the FO just let go, none of them were QBs. I think that says it all. Hell, some posters don't even want any competition brought in for Thad. It's just crazy. The Bills have had garbage at QB forever and the fans think losing a FS is the problem. When Brees is your QB, a player like Byrd really helps, but then again they won a Super Bowl without him. Fans need to realize that winning playoff games requires a roster with young talent playing at a high level on mostly their rookie deals. No team wins anything where ALL of their players are paid fair market value. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, hubris towards free agent negotiations is a self-imposed wound. The Bills are not going to be playing much single high safety, which will make SS the more vital position of the two. I also think that it speaks volumes to what Mike Pettine's new team did at safety. They chose a cheaper safety that has a physical presence on the field despite their massive cap space. But no one wants to address that.

I think they weren't willing and the Saints over payed. Now they need to explain to the team why they cut all those players for a safety and explain to Graham how they can afford Byrd but he needs to wait. I think the Saints made a huge mistake here.

They cut all those players b/c Brees' contract is RIDICULOUS. If other players on their team don't understand that, then maybe they should try playing QB at Brees' level and see how that works out for them.

I hear you...there was also speculation that Buffalo offered $30M in the first 3 years, so I feel like we're all over the map and nobody can say with any confidence what was, in fact, offered.

As for the deal being done last year, again I ask: how does anyone know that Byrd would've taken any deal Buffalo offered last year, when he wasn't willing to do so this year?

And my original post was centered around the generalization that Buffalo doesn't keep their elite players...I think what you're really saying is that they didn't keep Byrd.

Funny how some of the posters that can't except what happened with Byrd are the same ones that are content to let EJ be the starter uncontested. It's 2014, no QB, no playoffs. Of all the FA that everyone complains the FO just let go, none of them were QBs. I think that says it all. Hell, some posters don't even want any competition brought in for Thad. It's just crazy. The Bills have had garbage at QB forever and the fans think losing a FS is the problem. When Brees is your QB, a player like Byrd really helps, but then again they won a Super Bowl without him. Fans need to realize that winning playoff games requires a roster with young talent playing at a high level on mostly their rookie deals. No team wins anything where ALL of their players are paid fair market value. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, hubris towards free agent negotiations is a self-imposed wound. The Bills are not going to be playing much single high safety, which will make SS the more vital position of the two. I also think that it speaks volumes to what Mike Pettine's new team did at safety. They chose a cheaper safety that has a physical presence on the field despite their massive cap space. But no one wants to address that.

I agree completely.

I'm pissed Byrd is gone, but I've also posted multiple times that I want a QB competition and that I don't believe in handing EJ anything. If Manziel is there at 9 - draft him.