Rotoworld ranks Whaley 22nd Best GM

Here's their take (if you want a distraction from the Byrd talk):

22. Doug Whaley - Bills

Whaley has a major problem. His hand-picked quarterback, E.J. Manuel, looked nothing like a future franchise player as a rookie. If Manuel continues on his “bust” trajectory, it could be a mistake that ends the Whaley era in Buffalo before it ever really begins. That’s a shame, because elsewhere Whaley hit the right notes as a rookie general manager. Alongside Buddy Nix, Whaley oversaw an otherwise strong draft, and set an aggressive tone that’s been missing from one of the league’s most staid franchises for over a decade. As Manuel has already proven, if Whaley is going to go down, it will be swinging. Sometimes that’s all you can hope for when you’re a franchise that hasn’t made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was president.

EJ in home games:

3-2 record, 91.8 rating, 62.8%, 7 TD, 3 INT, 7.22 ypa, 213.6 ypg

His two losses were his first career game vs. NE* (105.5 rating, 18-27, 150 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT) and vs. Atlanta in Toronto (86.7 rating, 18-32, 210 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT).

You'll recall that if SJ13 doesn't put the ball on the turf in both games, EJ is very likely 5-0 at home.

Maybe we give him more than 5 road starts before panicking about the discrepancy. Kid has a lot to learn but "bust trajectory" I can't agree with.

I'm in the 'Bust Trajectory' camp. I don't see anything from what little he could give us to suggest we've finally found 'him' in Manuel.

Hope I'm either completely wrong or the Brass figures this out this season and we move on yet again.

I'd rank Whaley in the bottom 5. Granted he is operating with different financial constraints as compared to John Elway. Whaley possibly swung for the fences & misses with Manuel but I applaud him for trying.

It's likely Manuel will never be a top 10 QB, that doesn't mean he is a bust, IMO.

Whaley could shock the world by doubling down and executing a bold draft strategy or trading a Spiller or Johnson to bolster our lines which are far from top tier.

I like Whaley so far... I have really been down on this franchise for about 5 or 6 years...but this past season was the first in a while where I actually think we are on to something.

Of course, I am also one of those who doesn't think that EJ Manuel is near the trainwreck that so many here seem to think. Sometimes I think we get so mired in the misery of the last 15 years, that it colors our vision of what is happeing now.

Been rewatching the 2013 season, and I think a lot of his good moments have been forgotten. He had two extremely awful games (Pittsburgh & Tampa Bay), a few very good games (Carolina, 2nd Jets game, Atlanta) and 5 games where he was just "okay"... what I did like about him, win or lose, he did play well in "clutch" situations...

I also think, he got more tentative as the season went on...perhaps too aware of the boo-birds... and, though I didn't feel as strongly about it at the time, upon further review, particularly early in the season, I think the "no-huddle" hurt the offense, and Manuel. Imagine if they get the ball back, up by 1 point, with about 5:30 left in the game, and try to run the clock out, or at the very least, make New England use those three timeouts they had. Not saying they would have won, but I would have liked their chances a lot more than the chances they had of winnnig the game with two consecutive "3 and outs" by the offense.

Edited by Buftex

considering he has been the GM for less than a year im surprised they have him listed that high

Bills had one of their best drafts in recent memory but as article stated, it will all come down to EJ

Didn't they slow down the no-huddle later in the season? Just because you aren't huddled, doesn't mean you have to 'hurry'. Hopefully they can find balance with that next year.

Right...it just took the Bills coaching staff about 6 games to realize that. Go back and watch the last six minutes or so of the season opener against New England. I won't say that it caused them to lose, but it certainly decreased their chances of winning. I normally watch the games at a bar, so at times, I miss things like this...when I was re-watching that game though, in my own home, no distractions, it was killing me how little moxy the Bills were showing in running out the clock...Dierdorf was going ape-**** over it....and he was right.

It's ignorant to give a "rating" to a GM that's been on the job less than a year, and really... to try to hammer him for going for a QB in the first round when we've been in dire straits for one for years is ludicrous. And to those people saying we reached for EJ... how in the hell do you know if we woulda got him later on in the draft? We've heard many scenarios where 2-3 other teams had him rated ahead of Geno and were going to grab him at the end of the first/start of the second round. Now if Whaley didn't grab a QB, then you should bust his ass a bit, but he went for it, and you just never know how these kids will turn out. All in all Kudos for Whaley and staff in their first draft year; many pieces to the puzzle were acquired. Let's see what FA (I don't expect much in this years FA) and the Draft brings. I hated to lose Byrd, but in the end it was the better move to not sign him for that kind of scratch, I only wish we got something in return.

Here's their take (if you want a distraction from the Byrd talk):

22. Doug Whaley - Bills

Whaley has a major problem. His hand-picked quarterback, E.J. Manuel, looked nothing like a future franchise player as a rookie. If Manuel continues on his “bust” trajectory, it could be a mistake that ends the Whaley era in Buffalo before it ever really begins. That’s a shame, because elsewhere Whaley hit the right notes as a rookie general manager. Alongside Buddy Nix, Whaley oversaw an otherwise strong draft, and set an aggressive tone that’s been missing from one of the league’s most staid franchises for over a decade. As Manuel has already proven, if Whaley is going to go down, it will be swinging. Sometimes that’s all you can hope for when you’re a franchise that hasn’t made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was president.

Ha bust trajectory? EJs rookie QBR is well inside top ten ever... Bust trajectory?

I agree we don't know yet what we have, and knee injuries need to stop, but bust trajectory???

Must be nice to be able to throw out characterizations without basis and obtain cash flow for doing so.

Where do I sign up?

The guy might know defensive players as he got it right so many times last year. Manny Lawson, Kiko, Jerry Hughes, Alan Branch.

But then on the offensive side LG Colin Brown, his back up in Sam Young, and both cut by week six, Signed Doug Legursky away from the Steelers who fielded a very bad O line in 2012 and Legursky graded as the worst (-24.6)

So this year knowing they needed to upgrade the LG and RT positions they signed Chris Williams to fill that LG position who graded (-21.8) four year 13.5 million & 5.5 guaranteed.

"Dud: He may be a former first-rounder but Chris Williams (-21.8) is just a liability as a lineman. Far too much pressure, not enough good run blocking, and he’s the team’s weak link on offense."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/2/

#22 out of 32 is being kind if this latest move doesn't work out. First Byrd, and now this...shaping up to be another 6 win season, if they are lucky.

The guy might know defensive players as he got it right so many times last year. Manny Lawson, Kiko, Jerry Hughes, Alan Branch.

But then on the offensive side LG Colin Brown, his back up in Sam Young, and both cut by week six, Signed Doug Legursky away from the Steelers who fielded a very bad O line in 2012 and Legursky graded as the worst (-24.6)

So this year knowing they needed to upgrade the LG and RT positions they signed Chris Williams to fill that LG position who graded (-21.8) four year 13.5 million & 5.5 guaranteed.

"Dud: He may be a former first-rounder but Chris Williams (-21.8) is just a liability as a lineman. Far too much pressure, not enough good run blocking, and he’s the team’s weak link on offense."

https://www.profootb...ine-rankings/2/

#22 out of 32 is being kind if this latest move doesn't work out. First Byrd, and now this...shaping up to be another 6 win season, if they are lucky.

Woods and Goodwin don't count?