"aggressive in free agency"

Pete

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are surprised we didn't extend chandler? Really? Really? He's he worst tight end in the league. I'll be very happy once he's officially gone in the upcoming weeks

Well, see below, and then I will get back to you.

That's not even close to true. I expect they make a deal with him , or certainly offer . Because he has been the best TE the Bills have had in very long while Trunge 19. But he is probably not getting much of a raise just some security for the future . Kid has played hard for the Bills ! Add some Moeaki athletic ability , and consider what gragg has to offer. then decide really inteterested if Bills are thinking of drafting a second or third round balanced TE.

Yep.

Clearly you're joking. I've stated this in other posts, using PFF, The only 2 TEs that had a better run blocking grades AND more yardage than Chandler were Davis and Witten. Pretty good company to be in. Maybe you don't remember the days of Royal and Campbell starting.

And even though PFF is PFF... yep.

Those were the 'golden days.' Lonnie Johnson man....Lonnie Johnson.
I remember when everyone was screaming to run Reismemrmsmamawww out.

...anyway, Trunge. Let's look at what we have on the table? We have Chandler. We have a list of free agents, too.

Here are a few FA's

Jermichael Finley

Dustin Keller

Brandon Pettigrew

Fred Davis

Brandon Myers

Ed Dickson

Ben Hartsock

Who exactly there is better then Chandler? Yeah, neat flashy names but they cost a lot and are not as productive as the Bills most consistent pass catcher not names SJ13 of the last 4 years.

Oh, but you'd have not resigned him last year and gone after one of these guys:

Aaron Hernandez

Martellus Bennett

Dustin Keller

Bandon Myers

Jared Cook

Delanie Walker

Anthony Fasano

Fred Davis

Ed Dickson

Jeff Cumberland

Ben Watson

Ben Hartsock

Yeah, winners there!

OK, fine. You'd just replace him with someone else on the roster. Who? Who do we legitimately have at TE that is worth half a jock?

Chandler is our best TE and the best FA TE of 2014. He will get offers, and he will leave quickly. I think Carolina would be wise to send him a plane ticket.

Well, see below, and then I will get back to you.

Yep.

And even though PFF is PFF... yep.

I remember when everyone was screaming to run Reismemrmsmamawww out.

...anyway, Trunge. Let's look at what we have on the table? We have Chandler. We have a list of free agents, too.

Here are a few FA's

Who exactly there is better then Chandler? Yeah, neat flashy names but they cost a lot and are not as productive as the Bills most consistent pass catcher not names SJ13 of the last 4 years.

Oh, but you'd have not resigned him last year and gone after one of these guys:

Yeah, winners there!

OK, fine. You'd just replace him with someone else on the roster. Who? Who do we legitimately have at TE that is worth half a jock?

Chandler is our best TE and the best FA TE of 2014. He will get offers, and he will leave quickly. I think Carolina would be wise to send him a plane ticket.

Firstly.

Thanks.

you are pretty good at defending the faith , when your dander is up and feathers ruffled.

I am not letting Chandler leave yet .

He needs to get healthy off season , and put more blocking effort forth by getting coached up.

I think the Bills scouting team revamp is starting to pay off. And they have serious targets. Help me recall , they moved pretty quickly on Lawson. Did they on Branch too ? Then the Sheppard Hughes trade seemed kinda gnarly

I am a little wary of Schwartz. He will be on his third team in three years this coming season and that concerns me. While I'm sure he'd still be an upgrade over Legursky he probably wouldn't be my first choice.

but we need the power of the schwartz on defense and offense.

Who is the free agent that the Bills are targeting? I think number one is Jarius Byrd. I also think the Bills specifically did not franchise him because they wanted to sign him without any worries of a hold out or any other such nonsense. People keep ignoring Byrds and Whaley's comments. He is still very much in play.

It's in code. Need to keep it secretive.

Allow me. I majored in codecracking at Eastern State University.

One thing you said on WGR radio this morning is you're going to be aggressive in free agency, which kind of surprised me. What did you mean by that?

"Aggressive means we have a plan, and we are going to try to execute that plan as quickly as possible. Now, some people may look at what we plan to do as not aggressive, but we think it's aggressive "¦ We're not going to sit back and let things come to us. We've got some guys targeted "¦ We want to (use) the same model as last year "¦ They may not be star players but they end up producing for us and giving us value and return on our dollar."

Clearly, if you isolate the 13th letter and then, approximately, every 45th letter, you get S-K-E-L-T-O-N.

Our primary target is Skelton, men. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

One thing you said on WGR radio this morning is you're going to be aggressive in free agency, which kind of surprised me. What did you mean by that?

"Aggressive means we have a plan, and we are going to try to execute that plan as quickly as possible. Now, some people may look at what we plan to do as not aggressive, but we think it's aggressive "¦ We're not going to sit back and let things come to us. We've got some guys targeted "¦ We want to (use) the same model as last year "¦ They may not be star players but they end up producing for us and giving us value and return on our dollar."

so it sounds like the Bills have players targeted that they will go after immediately after free agency commences.

who will bills target?

Some of my guess'-

Brandon LaFell WR

Geoff Shwartz G

Darfyl Smith LB

Chandler Jones DE

who do you think the Bills are targeting?

why the gray highlight, I can't read any of it????

They should target LB's and OL in FA. If Mack is gone by 9 there is no other LB worth drafting that high. They should sign an ILB, an OLB, and announce Kiko is moving to outside day 1 of FA. Then target a LG. Add a few depth guys. Then move on to the draft where a trade down can still land them Ebron, a WR, an OT, and some depth for the DL and DB's.

fair enough. around the combine there were rumors an offer was being finalized to present to his agent. you might see his name come up soon.

Rumors that I am hearing- they're working on extending Chandler, Dareus, Carpenter, and Aaron Williams. Oh wait, the AW one came true. So hopefully in the near future these others come to fruition as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything, just swear we heard this line the last couple of years, word for word.

Last year I thought Whaley far more subdued in describing his approach to free agency. Not gonna look it up right now, but IIRC, Whaley did say the had a prime target (who turned out to be Manny Lawson- signed at the onset of free agency). But he also said something along the lines of, "We have a list of players that we think can/will sign when the dust settles," meaning that they weren't going to be "aggressive" per se, but let the market come to them. Anyway, I think it's all just a way of saying, we are picking our spots and doing what we need to do to get it done.

Whether or not that's "aggressive" is up to interpretation, and Whaley admitted as much. However, this year just felt like more of an "aggressive" statement than last year's, IMO, especially since he used the word itself, and I don't recall him using that type of language last. Maybe he said "priority," idk.

You are surprised we didn't extend chandler? Really? Really? He's he worst tight end in the league. I'll be very happy once he's officially gone in the upcoming weeks

I wish you happiness in all your other endeavors, because I think you are going to be disappointed wrt Chandler.

FWIW, I heard some of Whaley this morning on the radio, and when he was asked about drafting a big WR or big TE, I think he only mentioned a hypothetical "big receiver" in his response. Of course that could encompass a TE, but if I am remembering that right, I don't think he mentioned TE specifically in his response. Perhaps a subconscious tell.

Edited by uncle flap

So much talk on this thread, and others about LBs, WRs, TEs, OLs... all real needs to be sure. BUT...

I keep waiting for someone to bring IT up, in any of these threads-- whether it's regarding free agency, or the draft. But, no one brings it up. Does anyone think that we are going to just sit on the quarterback situation in which we ended the season? EJ, with Lewis as back-up. And Tuel? And Kolb somewhere off in the distance? Really???

There are some good quarterbacks out there in free agency. If we're going to be aggressive in FA, QB would be a good place to start.

There are some good quarterbacks out there in free agency.

Such as?

I agree with you in principle. Thad Lewis is a back-up, not a back-up plan. But I'm not exactly wowed by the QB FA class. It is ultra rare to have a starting caliber QB hit the open market.

Schaub, Vick, Cassel, McCown? Those guys are old and going to want to start immediately and would cost too much to ride the pine (IMO) if indeed EJ puts a chokehold on the job.

Such as?

Me personally I was thinking along the lines of a Shaun Hill. The price would be reasonable, he's a veteran who has come in on a few games and has done well and would be a good, solid insurance in case EJ gets hurt or doesn't pan out as well as we all hope he does.

Me personally I was thinking along the lines of a Shaun Hill. The price would be reasonable, he's a veteran who has come in on a few games and has done well and would be a good, solid insurance in case EJ gets hurt or doesn't pan out as well as we all hope he does.

Josh Freeman, also. He's only 26. Regardless, if we don't pick someone up in FA, are we going to draft another QB? In what round? And then Thad Lewis will be our most veteran QB? (I'm assuming Kolb is done?) I highly doubt it!

And, again: I can't imagine that anybody thinks we are going to start the next season with EJ/Lewis/Tuel.

Josh Freeman, also. He's only 26. Regardless, if we don't pick someone up in FA, are we going to draft another QB? In what round? And then Thad Lewis will be our most veteran QB? (I'm assuming Kolb is done?) I highly doubt it!

And, again: I can't imagine that anybody thinks we are going to start the next season with EJ/Lewis/Tuel.

Freeman?!?!

Lewis and Tuel are both better. You must not have paid attention to what happened after he signed with the Vikings last season.

I would bet my lungs that Freeman won't be a Bill.

I might be mistaken about this but Thad Lewis might still be eligible to go back on the practice squad. If that were the case then drafting someone like Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger in the 3rd rd could be feasible. Both would not be ready to play but once again I think that they could go on the PUP list until the 7th week of the season then a decision would have to be made. If that were the case then the drafted QB would be PUPPED and then activated when he is eligible to come off and then Lewis would be sent to the practice squad at that time. If I'm wrong on any of these accounts then this whole theory would be thrown out the window. It's the off season and I'm just trying to be creative.

I think they go into next season with what they have at Quarterback unless someone falls to them in the draft in round 4 or 5 that they think is worth a chance on or there is a free agent vet who doesn't catch on anywhere in the first throws of FA that they think it's worth kicking the tyres on. So basically QB is not a position where I think they will be "aggressive".

The model will not, I'd have thought, be dissimilar to last year.... They had a primary target in Lawson and went after him early on, they signed Kolb pretty early and they brought Fred Davis in pretty early as well for a visit if I recall... but he re-signed in Washington. After that they sat back a bit and waited to see where the chips fell and Branch came a little later as did the Jerry Hughes trade.

I might be mistaken about this but Thad Lewis might still be eligible to go back on the practice squad. If that were the case then drafting someone like Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger in the 3rd rd could be feasible. Both would not be ready to play but once again I think that they could go on the PUP list until the 7th week of the season then a decision would have to be made. If that were the case then the drafted QB would be PUPPED and then activated when he is eligible to come off and then Lewis would be sent to the practice squad at that time. If I'm wrong on any of these accounts then this whole theory would be thrown out the window. It's the off season and I'm just trying to be creative.

Thad would be snapped up off of our practice squad awfully quick.

Allow me. I majored in codecracking at Eastern State University.

Clearly, if you isolate the 13th letter and then, approximately, every 45th letter, you get S-K-E-L-T-O-N.

Our primary target is Skelton, men. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

God, I wish this post would have self destructed as soon as you hit the "post" button.