Jason Peters, Eagle for life (apparently)

dave mcbride

So let me get this straight

- Jason Peters was an undrafted tight end who the bills saw promise in and brought in......if not for that he might have NEVER made a roster as being an undrafted free agent is a complete crap shoot that anyone will take notice of you

but the bills did

- Then the bills brought him along....allowed him to mature into the good player that he is.....gave him a contract extension along the way

Now he wants to thank his agent for "getting him out of buffalo"

Glad he is gone.....VERY glad he is gone

Could not have said this any better. Dude needs some perspective.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the first part, he wasnt mike jasper, he was a well known guy that was getting a decent shot wherever he landed if he was willing to work.

i dont like the guy, but he had a shot at the nfl and made a ton out of it (and we tried to get by on the cheap a little). i dont like how he handles his life or the type of person he was but to some degree he took a shot on buffalo too and im sure an outsider could say neither side handled the situation great.

that said, ill again say i dont like him.

Saint....I agree with most of what you say....but I think my first point is still valid....there are PLENTY of well known players that if they go undrafted dont pan out....this was a player that made a positional switch to boot.

You would thought after he blew out his achilles he might have learned some but I guess not.

who needs to be humble on one of these?

http://kneescooter.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Knee-Scooter-300x300.jpg

Ballin'

to the first part, he wasnt mike jasper, he was a well known guy that was getting a decent shot wherever he landed if he was willing to work.

i dont like the guy, but he had a shot at the nfl and made a ton out of it (and we tried to get by on the cheap a little). i dont like how he handles his life or the type of person he was but to some degree he took a shot on buffalo too and im sure an outsider could say neither side handled the situation great.

how he handles his life? He had a house. That he owned. That got damaged in a storm and was not fixed and began to fall apart. The city sent letters and such ti anyone they could ti get in touch with him. He didn't even reply and just let them tear it down.

That's sloppy and just pathetic.

Saint....I agree with most of what you say....but I think my first point is still valid....there are PLENTY of well known players that if they go undrafted dont pan out....this was a player that made a positional switch to boot.

oh, he wasnt a slam dunk or anything, but i think he wouldve gotten atleast a solid look most places. especially since he was getting to choose the destination (ie he could pick a place that had a clear path to the 53 for him).

We took a shot on him, and he took a shot on us. he played well, and we gave a little extra cash.... he played great and both sides seemed to drop the ball from there.

sometimes theres a strong sentiment around him that he OWED us for picking him up, and as much as i hate how he handled things, i just dont think there was a debt to be paid just because we were willing to sign him. he showed up and worked hard, which i think paid that debt plenty. it just rubs me wrong when i hear it, no big deal.

and again, i have a lot of dislike for the guy (just saying, as i dont want to be confused with a peters fan). and embarrassing comment on his part all around. one of the worst in recent memory for a player years removed from his last team.

who needs to be humble on one of these?

http://kneescooter.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Knee-Scooter-300x300.jpg

Ballin'

how he handles his life? He had a house. That he owned. That got damaged in a storm and was not fixed and began to fall apart. The city sent letters and such ti anyone they could ti get in touch with him. He didn't even reply and just let them tear it down.

That's sloppy and just pathetic.

among several other stories including 2 arrests (one that included a high speed chase over 100mph)

Edited by NoSaint

Jason Peters was the best LT in the NFL last season.

Agreed 100% If the Bills keep the same strategy that they used with Peters, they will go another 12 years without making the playoffs. Peters is a great left tackle and the Bills had him only to let him go because of money. They paid a guy like Kelsay and others, but let an elite OT leave. I would say their priorities were upside down. Hopefully, these were mistakes of the past. Let us see if they get rid of Jairus Byrd in the same way.

Agreed 100% If the Bills keep the same strategy that they used with Peters, they will go another 12 years without making the playoffs. Peters is a great left tackle and the Bills had him only to let him go because of money. They paid a guy like Kelsay and others, but let an elite OT leave. I would say their priorities were upside down. Hopefully, these were mistakes of the past. Let us see if they get rid of Jairus Byrd in the same way.

Personally, I see these two situations as very different. Different FO and coaching regimes, different positions.

The Bills beat the Eagles with Peters 2 years ago. They paid Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Stevie Johnson. Because they handle their situations like men.

Also, separate conversation, the days of big money LTs is fading. Bad use of your resources locking up a ton of money into a position where there isn't that much difference bewtween elite and servicable.

Personally, I see these two situations as very different. Different FO and coaching regimes, different positions.

Byrd didn't get a new deal after his rookie contract like Peters did. Byrd didn't show up looking like a fat slob after his holdout ended like Peters.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Simply put......a dominating football player. The deal was badly one-sided for a young all pro LT who was under contract.......and it created the blueprint for Marshawn Lynch to get himself out of town for free among other issues. Huge sign of organizational weakness.

Byrd didn't get a new deal after his rookie contract like Peters did. Byrd didn't show up looking like a fat slob after his holdout ended like Peters.

Byrd showed up after missing all OTA's, training camp, 5 games with PF (real or not) before he played. Some similarities there

Peters was a combine superstar and at the time was being mentioned as a possible first rounder despite never playing the position he was projected for. His talent was off the charts. The Bills didn't have to invest much in him, he was on the PS for a short time and then started destroying people on special teams and blocking from the TE position. He even blocked a punt if I remember correctly. He was found money. The Bills signed him to a RT contract and then moved him to LT and he played at a pro bowl level from the get-go, This wasn't some dude struggling with the transition asking for a raise......this was arguably the best OL in the entire league. Did he handle his situation well? No, but young players on teams with zero leadership can be like that. The Bills blew it. Russ Brandon was out of his depth as a personnel man and he made a bad situation worse by giving in and dealing him.

Peters was a combine superstar and at the time was being mentioned as a possible first rounder despite never playing the position he was projected for. His talent was off the charts. The Bills didn't have to invest much in him, he was on the PS for a short time and then started destroying people on special teams and blocking from the TE position. He even blocked a punt if I remember correctly. He was found money. The Bills signed him to a RT contract and then moved him to LT and he played at a pro bowl level from the get-go, This wasn't some dude struggling with the transition asking for a raise......this was arguably the best OL in the entire league. Did he handle his situation well? No, but young players on teams with zero leadership can be like that. The Bills blew it. Russ Brandon was out of his depth as a personnel man and he made a bad situation worse by giving in and dealing him.

Just wondering why he went undrafted? I don't remember.

Yeah he was getting a shot. I could not believe noone would take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round. You ever the game when he was at Arkansas when they played Kentucky his last year. It went into like 5 or 6 over times. Peters caught I believe 4 or 5 tds that game. He was unreal. Amazing a guy that big had the talent to play the TE position & play it well. Like you said, he was getting a shot somewhere.

Byrd showed up after missing all OTA's, training camp, 5 games with PF (real or not) before he played. Some similarities there

Byrd was not under contract and under no obligation to report.

Peters was under contract and refused to even return a phone call.

He's probably the best LT in the game.

And I wouldn't want him on my team after the stunt he pulled by showing up fat and out of shape and letting down his teammates in the process.

GO BILLS!!!