Jason Peters, Eagle for life (apparently)

dave mcbride

OK... but then why was he being mentioned as a possible 1st rounder as the poster said? Didn't mesh.

because he was an athletic freak with a ton of obvious potential at a new position, but 100% unproven at it. i think by my memory, the poster mischaracterized the first round talent instead saying possible first round selection. i never remembered serious talks of him higher than mid rounds (sometimes high mid rounds) as a project.

he had first round athleticism and measurables but no time at tackle to point to on film.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because he was an athletic freak with a ton of obvious potential at a new position, but 100% unproven at it. i think by my memory, the poster mischaracterized the first round talent instead saying possible first round selection. i never remembered serious talks of him higher than mid rounds (sometimes high mid rounds) as a project.

he had first round athleticism and measurables but no time at tackle to point to on film.

Ah - got it :thumbsup:

Can you honestly blame players like Peters for wanting out of Buffalo, especially when the Bills haven't been to the playoffs for 14 years.

Who in their right mind wants to play for a perennial loser? Players want to win as much as the fans want to win. They want that ring, they want to hold up that trophy.

Besides, the Bills created the animosity between Peters, and the FO by bringing in high priced free agents in Dockery, Walker who had no where near the talent Peters had. Them paid far more then all pro Peters was making.

2015 Byrd will be gone, just like Andy levitre. Poz, Whitner, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements

Can you honestly blame players like Peters for wanting out of Buffalo, especially when the Bills haven't been to the playoffs for 14 years.

Who in their right mind wants to play for a perennial loser? Players want to win as much as the fans want to win. They want that ring, they want to hold up that trophy.

Besides, the Bills created the animosity between Peters, and the FO by bringing in high priced free agents in Dockery, Walker who had no where near the talent Peters had. Them paid far more then all pro Peters was making.

2015 Byrd will be gone, just like Andy levitre. Poz, Whitner, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements

They sure liked their Buckeyes in the secondary. But you forgot Ashton You-booty :nana: Edited by YoloinOhio

Peters had a legitimate beef, the Bills go sign two high priced O-line FA slugs that were not half as good as he was and then the FO refuse to pay him fair market. Next, the fans turn on him as we always want the good players to get less than they deserve for our own amusement. Byrd is next of long long line of good players that will leave to get paid what they are worth and the fans will turn on him as he leaves and call him ungrateful.

No he had been mentioned as a potential late first rounder after he blew away his combine workouts. I remember seeing a prominent mock after the combine that had him going to the Colts late in round 1. A lot of Bills fans tend to be allergic to the idea of drafting LT's(and QB's) early, and history says the Bills aren't fond of it either, but the rest of the league regards them as precious. See Eric Fisher. By draft day it was assumed that Peters would likely be a 3rd round selection. He tumbled because he was considered extremely lazy at Arkansas and got bad reviews from his coaches who were perturbed that he had the audacity to leave early after putting in unsatisfactory effort to that point. They reportedly couldn't believe their eyes when he came back to the school and was working his assoff in preparation for his rookie season. He earned his poor draft status and then he earned his way to All Pro status. Say what you want about the guy but he has turned talent into production. His penance for not preparing in college is probably a missed opportunity at a HOF career because of a slow start.

Simply put......a dominating football player. The deal was badly one-sided for a young all pro LT who was under contract.......and it created the blueprint for Marshawn Lynch to get himself out of town for free among other issues. Huge sign of organizational weakness.

He was dominating, that's for sure. The thing is, he signed an extension when he was playing RT...I don't think it was too much to ask that he play 2 or 3 years of that 5-year extension.

Peters had a legitimate beef, the Bills go sign two high priced O-line FA slugs that were not half as good as he was and then the FO refuse to pay him fair market. Next, the fans turn on him as we always want the good players to get less than they deserve for our own amusement. Byrd is next of long long line of good players that will leave to get paid what they are worth and the fans will turn on him as he leaves and call him ungrateful.

That's what set it off, yeah.

2015 Byrd will be gone, just like Andy levitre. Poz, Whitner, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements Kyle Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Eric Wood, Stevie Johnson, Freddie Jackson, Kraig Urbik, Erik Pears

Went ahead and fixed that for you...

No he had been mentioned as a potential late first rounder after he blew away his combine workouts. I remember seeing a prominent mock after the combine that had him going to the Colts late in round 1. A lot of Bills fans tend to be allergic to the idea of drafting LT's(and QB's) early, and history says the Bills aren't fond of it either, but the rest of the league regards them as precious. See Eric Fisher. By draft day it was assumed that Peters would likely be a 3rd round selection. He tumbled because he was considered extremely lazy at Arkansas and got bad reviews from his coaches who were perturbed that he had the audacity to leave early after putting in unsatisfactory effort to that point. They reportedly couldn't believe their eyes when he came back to the school and was working his assoff in preparation for his rookie season. He earned his poor draft status and then he earned his way to All Pro status. Say what you want about the guy but he has turned talent into production. His penance for not preparing in college is probably a missed opportunity at a HOF career because of a slow start.

I don't think it's so much that the Bills don't regard LT as precious as much as it is they were too confident in their plan to replace him (Langston Walker).

Obviously they value LT to some degree or they wouldn't have picked Cordy Glenn.

You're right about it being Peters' own doing for both his draft plunge and his all-pro career.

Simply put......a dominating football player. The deal was badly one-sided for a young all pro LT who was under contract.......and it created the blueprint for Marshawn Lynch to get himself out of town for free among other issues. Huge sign of organizational weakness.

Absolutely, and people should remember that when the Bills traded him, he was far and away the best player on the team.

Exactly, and they both sucked. Dockery took the cash and was not even trying. Walker was just awful. I think that many fans are clouded about just how much damage Levy/Jauron did to this franchise. Here we are, so many years later and Peters is still a fantastic player. What are Dockery and Walker doing these days?

Trading Peters was absolute idiocy.

Marv Levy was such a bumbling fool of a GM. I gotta' admit, even the deer in headlights show of Russ Brandon was an improvement over Marv's plan to copy the early 2000's Patriot blueprint(sans great coach, QB and spycams)......and then granting Clements, McGahee and Spikes their wish to go elsewhere and then to sign two middling OL for a total of $12M per irrespective of the problems it might cause with the man-child superstar LT in waiting. TBD used to get so mad at the reports of the rest of the league laughing at Marv's complete ineptitude as a GM.

This about sums it up. The other sad thing was that he actually was a Buffalo Bills fan growing up and was very happy to have the opportunity to play for the Bills.

Sure...I'll ask for a concession in return: can we leave Nate Clements off the "did not re-sign" list? He had 1/2 a productive season after he left Buffalo.

You know a guy who often gets forgotten is Jonas Jennings. He is another very good player that they let walk but he is forgotten because he didn't go on to success like so many of the good ones the Bills have passed on. Peters allowed them to let Jennings walk. Jonas was a very high quality blocker.....certainly very comparable to Cordy Glenn at the same stage. He didn't allow a sack in I believe 10 starts in his rookie season......which was crazy because his QB was a crash test dummy.

Clements had his best season in his first year in SF. He was voted the teams defensive MVP and was outstanding. He was never a Darelle Revis but he was a very solid and durable corner on a woeful team. The Niners spent a lot of money on Clements and Jennings and they kept on losing but they kept trying to win all along..........and eventually they were able to pull themselves out of their hole. Those financial mistakes are long forgotten and their willingness to take chances made them a feasible destination for a good coach like Harbaugh.

The Bills....rarely seem to know if they are going for it or rebuilding. This has been going on for a long time and at least since the day they decided they could trade Peerless Price rather than have him play out the year on the franchise tag and simultaneously re-tool the D to try to load up for a playoff run.

Every time the Bills are this close to turning the corner, they let a key vet or vets go and accept a setback. Levitre was last year. Short term his loss was tangible. This year could be Byrd being traded for a pick whose contribution will be initially limited. You can't keep all your best players but at some point after a decade of losing you gotta go all-in for a couple years and try to change the perception that you aren't committed to winning. How can you ask players to buy in when they don't believe the team is committed? How do you change a losing culture in that scenario? I don't know if Peters said that "thanks for getting me out of Buffalo" stuff but that's how players see the Bills. Saw Takeo on NFLN last week and he basically said that the Bills will franchise Byrd to trade him because they always let their best players go. Perception is reality in that lockerroom.

you're welcome and remember it was Buffalo that gave your undrafted FA butt a chance at becoming a star in the NFL.

With all due respect to Buffalo giving him a chance, the reason he was elevated to the main roster was that the Giants put a claim on him off the practice squad. It's not like he was totally under the radar and would never see an NFL roster if it weren't for the Bills.

With all due respect to Buffalo giving him a chance, the reason he was elevated to the main roster was that the Giants put a claim on him off the practice squad. It's not like he was totally under the radar and would never see an NFL roster if it weren't for the Bills.

If the Bills were a good organization, the day the Giants decided not to sign Peters after he was initially cut by the Bills in camp would be remembered as one of the luckiest days in franchise history. Good UDFA's are found every year...I think the Bills got Jabari Greer in that same class......but finding an All Pro LT in UDFA is find the magnitude of which only a handful of teams can relate too. Especially now. There was a time when players like the Saints Jimmy Graham and Terron Armstead would have been undrafteds.....in todays more efficient evaluation process they were 3rd round picks.

The Bills....rarely seem to know if they are going for it or rebuilding. This has been going on for a long time and at least since the day they decided they could trade Peerless Price rather than have him play out the year on the franchise tag and simultaneously re-tool the D to try to load up for a playoff run.

What made the Price situation that much more bizarre was the fact that they drafted MaGahee with that pick, who was half dead. As I recall, he missed 20 games after being drafted, and they of course knew he was seriously hurt.

They had a HUGE need at guard that year too, and Eric Steinbach was sitting there.

The Bills litany of stupid, mindless draft picks is virtually endless. All we can do is hope.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, and they both sucked. Dockery took the cash and was not even trying. Walker was just awful. I think that many fans are clouded about just how much damage Levy/Jauron did to this franchise. Here we are, so many years later and Peters is still a fantastic player. What are Dockery and Walker doing these days?

Trading Peters was absolute idiocy.

and they traded away Lynch for a 4th. Good thing the Bills turned that player they drafted in the 1st round into a 4th that really helped them...

At least they got something for that first round pick, as they got nothing for Levitre who was a 2nd rounder. The Bills finally find,and develop a top player for that O line, and then let him leave. On top of that, in their ineptitude, they try and replace him with a utter garbage players.

I have no idea why this FO can properly judge top (free agent & draft), defensive talent, like last years acquisitions in Lawson, Branch, Hughes, Kiko.

Then fail so miserably with O line talent, and with a corps of rookie QB's on the roster no less.

Edited by FeartheLosing