QB turmoil possible in Buffalo

BeastMode54

I think Bills fans everywhere would feel better about Manuel if he were able to actually beat someone who wasn't a journeyman. I'll say it again, we're committing to an unknown commodity, one who hasn't been really tested. Tom Brady outshined Drew Bledsoe. Russell Wilson beat Whatshisface. Even RGIII had competition with Cousins, who were drafted together. So on and so forth. Unless you're Andrew Luck, which Manuel is not, a smart team will let two guys duke it out.

The Bills will most likely add a veteran backup. But he'll go in knowing he'll be the backup and get fewer reps.

Totally agree. Franchise QBs aren't usually afraid of competition. While I'm not writing Manuel off by any stretch I'm also not a fan of putting all of my eggs into that basket just yet.

Why does anyone think that EJ is afraid of competition?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he has to stay healthy this year, if the knees become a nagging issue we are at square one again!

I hope EJ has a chip on his shoulder being the first QB off theboars in 2013 and really hones his craft this off season. I also think some vet will have to be brought in at the position too. If we go into this year with the same roster of QB's - Kolb it could also be Marrone having to coach for his NFL life

They have commited to him for this year. They have not mentioned anything about the year after, nor should they, as they won't need to decide that until the end of this year.

You know what happened once?

The Bills committed to JP Losman.

Then the Bills committed to Trent Edwards.

Then the Bills committed to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Then the Bills committed to EJ Manuel.

What have these commitments gotten the team? Yet, you want to wait through another commitment, after all, it is only one year. One year tacked on each previous year until you have the Bills recent history.

But, we should be patient. Can't bring in competition for EJ because it may stunt his growth. Meanwhile, bring in competition at every other position on the field.

Four years ago, I committed to someone I wasn't 100 percent on. Two years ago, I thought I already gave her two years why not a little more. As of January, I'm single. But at least I committed.

Well, Bills fans should be committed anyway, so maybe it's kosher to commit for the sake of committing.

You know what happened once?

The Bills committed to JP Losman.

Then the Bills committed to Trent Edwards.

Then the Bills committed to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Then the Bills committed to EJ Manuel.

What have these commitments gotten the team? Yet, you want to wait through another commitment, after all, it is only one year. One year tacked on each previous year until you have the Bills recent history.

But, we should be patient. Can't bring in competition for EJ because it may stunt his growth. Meanwhile, bring in competition at every other position on the field.

ding ding ding....

He's got some game and looks the part, but is sloth slow to react, injury-prone, and doesn't seem to read the field well.

Bravo, this sums up EJ about as well as you possibly could in one simple sentence.

I greatly respect the opinion of Louis Riddick, a blogger who (unlike a James Walker or a Tim Graham) has actually played DB in the NFL, and knows what he is looking at when he watches film. And I completely agree with his take.

The Bills said what had to be said about EJ going into the offseason, but I do not think Marrone will risk his employment status by staying married to him if EJ doesn’t produce enough. If EJ plays a few games early on in 2014 that are reminiscent of what he did in the Meadowlands, Pittsburgh, or Tampa, I would not be surprised to see him pulled/benched.

And that is why I want Whaley and Co. to bring in another guy now (Schaub? Cassel? Cousins? 2nd/3rd round pick?) – whomever they decide could potentially take over the club if EJ is simply more of the same. I do like Thad, he is our 3rd at worst, but I do not want to be in that “play out the schedule” mode again.

We can win a lot of games in 2014 with our defense & some efficient Dalton-esque quarterback play.

The Bills will most likely add a veteran backup. But he'll go in knowing he'll be the backup and get fewer reps.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills added a developmental QB as well as a veteran backup. Hopefully the vet has some upside as well.

I'm not indicating that Manuel is afraid of competition. I don't have reason to believe that, but the "competition will stunt his growth" and the "you have to commit to him" arguements that keep popping up seem to indicate some do think that way. He might not like it, but it shouldn't hold him back from developing. Nor should it be something that a franchise QB can't handle.

The idea that EJ doesn't have to compete for his job is asinine. If anything, he has to compete harder to keep hold of #1 status on the depth chart.

The idea that the Bills wouldn't draft a better QB is also asinine. If there is one available at 9, they would take him. The problem is people think that a BETTER QB is gonna be available at 9. Just who that is going to be, I'd like to know. Separate all the hype from what scouts really know, and that QB won't be there at 9.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills said what had to be said about EJ going into the offseason, but I do not think Marrone will risk his employment status by staying married to him if EJ doesn’t produce enough.

And that is why I want Whaley and Co. to bring in another guy now (Schaub? Cassel? Cousins? 2nd/3rd round pick?) – whomever they decide could potentially take over the club if EJ is simply more of the same. I do like Thad, he is our 3rd at worst, but I do not want to be in that “play out the schedule” mode again.

Marrone may have no choice when it's all said and done. The decision to take EJ was apparently a group one, and while I'm not saying Brandon made the pick, he as team president had to sign off on it as most teams have ownership involved when money is being spent on a player and/or drafted highly.

If the Bills were somehow to move away from EJ, it reflects poorly on not only Marrone, but casts doubt on the decision making of the GM and president.

What does "commit to" in this discussion mean? All of the above guys had like 2-3 years max to prove they could get it done. Are we now expecting a QB to come into this **** show and perform like a hall of famer in his rookie year?

Apparently the Bills should draft a QB in the 1st round every year until a rookie looks great.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills added a developmental QB as well as a veteran backup. Hopefully the vet has some upside as well.

I'm not indicating that Manuel is afraid of competition. I don't have reason to believe that, but the "competition will stunt his growth" and the "you have to commit to him" arguements that keep popping up seem to indicate some do think that way. He might not like it, but it shouldn't hold him back from developing. Nor should it be something that a franchise QB can't handle.

Taking reps away from him, in a truly open competition, will stunt his growth. What any young QB needs is reps and experience. And again, I don't think that any QB available to the Bills with the 9th pick will be worth much, considering anywhere from 1-3 (out of 5) QB starved teams passed over him, or he's the 6th best prospect.

Apparently the Bills should draft a QB in the 1st round every year until a rookie looks great.

Taking reps away from him, in a truly open competition, will stunt his growth. What any young QB needs is reps and experience. And again, I don't think that any QB available to the Bills with the 9th pick will be worth much, considering anywhere from 1-3 (out of 5) QB starved teams passed over him, or he's the 6th best prospect.

Fair enough, but the excuses are over, Manuel needs to show plenty of improvement from last year. Contrary to what some posters believe the time of 4 or 5 year rebuild projects are over in the NFL. The Bills roster is ready to win now. There is a enough talent on this roster with a few tweaks where we could contend for the Divsion and make a playoff run this year. Not in 2016 or 2017, this year. Fair or not a ton depends on Manuel. We don't need a game manager, we need a QB that is going to go out there, put the team on their back & win a game once in awhile.(I know crazy expectations of your QB position). That is what a franchise QB does. I have my doubts that EJ will ever be a franchise QB.

(Schaub? Cassel? Cousins?)

Cousins did not look good in the few games he had at the end of last season. He has fewer starts in the NFL than EJ. I don't think he fits the bill in Buffalo at all to be honest.

We can win a lot of games in 2014 with our defense & some efficient Dalton-esque quarterback play.

Dalton and efficient in the same sentence? Give EJ AJ Green to throw to I think he would look "efficient". I'm sorry I'm not a fan. Not at all.

We don't need a game manager, we need a QB that is going to go out there, put the team on their back & win a game once in awhile.(I know crazy expectations of your QB position). That is what a franchise QB does. I have my doubts that EJ will ever be a franchise QB.

He did that a couple of times in his rookie year. Carolina being one and Atlanta being the other. He couldn't have thrown the pass to Stevie any better or the one to Chandler come to that (even though Chandler wasn't really in field goal range when he fumbled anyway). I think having the clutch gene is an area I'm not that concerned with EJ. It's more he seems to be a really slow starter. There was more than a couple of average or poor 1st quarters.

Edited by GunnerBill

Fair enough, but the excuses are over, Manuel needs to show plenty of improvement from last year. Contrary to what some posters believe the time of 4 or 5 year rebuild projects are over in the NFL. The Bills roster is ready to win now. There is a enough talent on this roster with a few tweaks where we could contend for the Divsion and make a playoff run this year. Not in 2016 or 2017, this year. Fair or not a ton depends on Manuel. We don't need a game manager, we need a QB that is going to go out there, put the team on their back & win a game once in awhile.(I know crazy expectations of your QB position). That is what a franchise QB does. I have my doubts that EJ will ever be a franchise QB.

I've been saying all along that EJ gets this year to show his stuff. If he falters, QB needs to be the first pick in 2015. But the offense needs more as well.

The idea that EJ doesn't have to compete for his job is asinine. If anything, he has to compete harder to keep hold of #1 status on the depth chart.

The idea that the Bills wouldn't draft a better QB is also asinine. If there is one available at 9, they would take him. The problem is people think that a BETTER QB is gonna be available at 9. Just who that is going to be, I'd like to know. Separate all the hype from what scouts really know, and that QB won't be there at 9.

GO BILLS!!!

Go back a couple months and look at the comments. I could name several who railed against the thought of bringing in competition.