QB turmoil possible in Buffalo

BeastMode54

Actually, I think that I was the first to bring this up months and months ago in a thread involving Badolbeelz. I think he focused on the competition thing (I didn't), but we both agreed that you need to keep taking QBs until you were sure you actually had one. The jury is out on Manuel, obviously, and while I don't think it's likely he'll be a star, it's not impossible and I'm not as down on him as most. If he doesn't end up being a star, though, the Bills are going nowhere. That's a fact.

While this works in theory Dave, how does it give any QB a chance to develop? This strategy basically gives a QB his rookie season to show that he's worth something and then you're going to move on. You can't actually be sure that you "have one" if the QBs you draft aren't given any time to develop. Not to mention that if you're spending high picks on QBs every year, then you're pissing away resources that could build other parts of your team.

If EJ doesn't make strides this year and start showing real talent on the field, then i have no issue with grabbing another QB in the 2015 draft. But if the Bills are going to waste a high pick on a QB this year, then they better be damn sure that he's a franchise guy. (ala Luck, Peyton, etc) Otherwise, its a waste.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While this works in theory Dave, how does it give any QB a chance to develop? This strategy basically gives a QB his rookie season to show that he's worth something and then you're going to move on. You can't actually be sure that you "have one" if the QBs you draft aren't given any time to develop. Not to mention that if you're spending high picks on QBs every year, then you're pissing away resources that could build other parts of your team.

If EJ doesn't make strides this year and start showing real talent on the field, then i have no issue with grabbing another QB in the 2015 draft. But if the Bills are going to waste a high pick on a QB this year, then they better be damn sure that he's a franchise guy. (ala Luck, Peyton, etc) Otherwise, its a waste.

I don't disagree with this. The one complicating factor is that the Bills don't have a real #2 (i.e., either a solid vet or a younger player with the potential to evolve into a #1, a la Schaub with Atlanta). I don't know who's going to be available in FA, and taking a QB in, say, the 3rd round will create complications in 2015 if Manuel is poor next year. Regardless, I'd like them to take a Navorro Bowman-type LB or an offensive tackle in round 1. If the Clemson receiver is there, he'd be worth taking too. But he won't be there.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't disagree with this. The one complicating factor is that the Bills don't have a real #2 (i.e., either a solid vet or a younger player with the potential to evolve into a #1, a la Schaub with Atlanta). I don't know who's going to be available in FA, and taking a QB in, say, the 3rd round will create complications in 2015 if Manuel is poor next year. Regardless, I'd like them to take a Navorro Bowman-type LB or an offensive tackle in round 1. If the Clemson receiver is there, he'd be worth taking too. But he won't be there.

There is another Clemson WR who is 6'5" and I thought very impressive when I watched him play (granted it was against OSU scrubs) - Martavis Bryant. I would not be sad to see them pick him up in the 4th or later.

Completely agree. And none of them are, from what is reported. Just adding another rookie project and wasting the ability to add a starter. Only one QB can play at a time. Only 1 QB is going to get the starting reps.

I suspect that for 2014 all resources will be determined to have EJ succeed.

And thats exactly as it should be.

Unless he injures his fourth knee. In that case Lewis better be prepared .

And the Bills will be forced , again , to draft QB asap in the first round next year and possibly have him learning under a new staff