QB turmoil possible in Buffalo

BeastMode54

In terms of a veteran back up.... what would people feel about Matt Cassel? I thought he was by far the most impressive of the three guys Minnesota played at the position last season (not saying a great deal I know), he has played in cold weather in Kansas City (where he led them to the play-offs and earned a pro bowl nomination) and he knows the AFC East from his time in New England. I think he is a steady game manager and if EJ goes down or completely blows I think you could pretty safely put Cassel in and trust him to execute your offense without committing a boat load of turnovers.

I also think he will be looking not for the best paid back up gig available, but an opportunity somewhere where he has some chance to play. And I think he would look at the Bills say "ok EJ is going to get the first crack" but looking at his injury record last season and the fact that he hasn't nailed down the starters job yet and think he might get a chance.

For me he would be a good fit. Anyone else?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he gets hurt again. Then what?

Or unless he totally blows, which is also possible.

Then what?

He gets 16 starts only if he is healthy and shows improvement.

IMO the Bills fully intend to be competitive in 2014.

If EJ shows no hope of getting them there they will want to have an alternative rather than the only option being to write off another entire year.

I don't think they stand pat with what they have. I think they will be looking to bring somebody in this year.

If you aren't concerned about our QB situation, you're high on the Kool Aid. We are mostly relying on hope and do not have a solid reliable foundation.

Could not agree more, if the Bills go into camp with manuel as the unquestionable starter they are relying basically on hope that the QB situation will be resolved. This roster has enough talent that they are ready to win now. It depends on how Manuel plays.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so I apoiogize if this has been mentioned, but I read that ESPN blogger Louis Riddick feels that there could be huge turmoil as far as Mauel goes and he may not be close to the future guy, causing concern for the draft. I don't agree, as I think it's too early to give up on a QB who only played half the season. Here is the excerpt from Rotoworld.com and link.

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."

He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division."

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 16 - 4:35 PM

As with all the teams.... the bloggers are just regurgitating the obvious/old "news" in a more startling way to rile up the fan base, get them to paste the link into the message boards, and generate clicks. Mission accomplished for Riddick. I don't begrudge them their clicks, but to read into this as anything other than, yes, EJ will get another year to improve and yes, if he doesn't, it is very likely the Bills will draft a QB relatively high or seek his replacement in another way in 2015. I don't think that is all that shocking to anyone.

The difference between this being written about EJ vs. Geno is that it would be all over the national talk shows if there was any kind of "turmoil" hinted at with the Jets when, in reality, Geno has a much shorter leash considering he had much worse games, was not Rex's choice, and doesn't have the reputation of the high level intangibles.

How many different threads can the same points be rehashed in?

ADD: That was a rhetorical question

lmao

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so I apoiogize if this has been mentioned, but I read that ESPN blogger Louis Riddick feels that there could be huge turmoil as far as Mauel goes and he may not be close to the future guy, causing concern for the draft. I don't agree, as I think it's too early to give up on a QB who only played half the season. Here is the excerpt from Rotoworld.com and link.

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."

He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division."

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 16 - 4:35 PM

So the second year, first round QB who had an injury riddled, pedestrian rookie season and who is on a talented team needs to step up, stay healthy and help his team win. Got it. Thanks for the insight.

Losing teams are committed to unknown commodities. Want to talk about the culture of winning? Manuel is at best a 50-50 bet. He's got some game and looks the part, but is sloth slow to react, injury-prone, and doesn't seem to read the field well.

The Bills would be wise to "commit" to a winner only, and bring in competition during the draft...and let the best guy win the job.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

Losing teams are committed to unknown commodities. Want to talk about the culture of winning? Manuel is at best a 50-50 bet. He's got some game and looks the part, but is sloth slow to react, injury-prone, and doesn't seem to read the field well.

The Bills would be wise to "commit" to a winner only, and bring in competition during the draft...and let the best guy win the job.

They aren't committing to him for 10 years. They are committed to him for 2. If you don't commit to him, he won't develop. He needs the reps. He needs the coaching. He doesn't need to split time with someone for "competition" purposes. He was a project going in and if you disagree with the draft choice, fine. But they knew what they had when they took him, they know what they have now, and they are giving him another year at least because that is what all teams do since 1989 who take a QB in the 1st rd. I am not sure if they need to write it in the sky or what... but they are not drafting a QB to compete with him. Those who are still pining for this are going to be very disappointed on draft day. Edited by YoloinOhio

In terms of a veteran back up.... what would people feel about Matt Cassel? I thought he was by far the most impressive of the three guys Minnesota played at the position last season (not saying a great deal I know), he has played in cold weather in Kansas City (where he led them to the play-offs and earned a pro bowl nomination) and he knows the AFC East from his time in New England. I think he is a steady game manager and if EJ goes down or completely blows I think you could pretty safely put Cassel in and trust him to execute your offense without committing a boat load of turnovers.

I also think he will be looking not for the best paid back up gig available, but an opportunity somewhere where he has some chance to play. And I think he would look at the Bills say "ok EJ is going to get the first crack" but looking at his injury record last season and the fact that he hasn't nailed down the starters job yet and think he might get a chance.

For me he would be a good fit. Anyone else?

I think Matt Cassel would be a good fit also. I would like to see the Bills draft a QB high, but I don't think they will. I think the Bills have a reasonably talented roster. Its up to the coaches and the QB to bring out the talent. Since they were willing to sign Kolb last year I hope they might be willing to sign Cassel this year. If Manuel becomes the franchise QB the Bills hope for then Cassel would be a good backup. If he doesn't I think Cassel (with some tweaks to the roster around him) could take this team to the playoffs.

I think Matt Cassel would be a good fit also. I would like to see the Bills draft a QB high, but I don't think they will. I think the Bills have a reasonably talented roster. Its up to the coaches and the QB to bring out the talent. Since they were willing to sign Kolb last year I hope they might be willing to sign Cassel this year. If Manuel becomes the franchise QB the Bills hope for then Cassel would be a good backup. If he doesn't I think Cassel (with some tweaks to the roster around him) could take this team to the playoffs.

He voided his contract with the Vikes that would have paid him 3.7 mill this year. I think a team will pay him upwards of 4 mill because backup QBs are such a commodity, and I don't think the Bills will do that nor should they for that money. I am not at all against bringing in a vet, but I don't see them paying that much for one. Edited by YoloinOhio

They aren't committing to him for 10 years. They are committed to him for 2. If you don't commit to him, he won't develop. He needs the reps. He needs the coaching. He doesn't need to split time with someone for "competition" purposes. He was a project going in and if you disagree with the draft choice, fine. But they knew what they had when they took him, they know what they have now, and they are giving him another year at least because that is what all teams do since 1989 who take a QB in the 1st rd. I am not sure if they need to write it in the sky or what... but they are not drafting a QB to compete with him. Those who are still pining for this are going to be very disappointed on draft day.

He has no legit competition. You let him beat out the competition, one that is drafted high, and then "commit" to the winner for the year. And who says it's only two years? Did the Bills say that? After drafting Manuel, the official word was Kolb was the starter. Manuel beat him out.

He has no legit competition. You let him beat out the competition, one that is drafted high, and then "commit" to the winner for the year. And who says it's only two years? Did the Bills say that? After drafting Manuel, the official word was Kolb was the starter. Manuel beat him out.

They have commited to him for this year. They have not mentioned anything about the year after, nor should they, as they won't need to decide that until the end of this year.

They have commited to him for this year. They have not mentioned anything about the year after, nor should they, as they won't need to decide that until the end of this year.

I think you may be technically wrong. I don't remember the Bills saying anywhere that Manuel was their unchallenged starter next season.

I think Bills fans everywhere would feel better about Manuel if he were able to actually beat someone who wasn't a journeyman. I'll say it again, we're committing to an unknown commodity, one who hasn't been really tested. Tom Brady outshined Drew Bledsoe. Russell Wilson beat Whatshisface. Even RGIII had competition with Cousins, who were drafted together. So on and so forth. Unless you're Andrew Luck, which Manuel is not, a smart team will let two guys duke it out.

Stand corrected. I also remember, however, seeing a quote from Whaley that they would look at all options, including QB, and there actually being a thread here and a similar debate.

I think Bills fans everywhere would feel better about Manuel if he were able to actually beat someone who wasn't a journeyman. I'll say it again, we're committing to an unknown commodity, one who hasn't been really tested. Tom Brady outshined Drew Bledsoe. Russell Wilson beat Whatshisface. Even RGIII had competition with Cousins, who were drafted together. So on and so forth. Unless you're Andrew Luck, which Manuel is not, a smart team will let two guys duke it out.

Totally agree. Franchise QBs aren't usually afraid of competition. While I'm not writing Manuel off by any stretch I'm also not a fan of putting all of my eggs into that basket just yet.

He voided his contract with the Vikes that would have paid him 3.7 mill this year. I think a team will pay him upwards of 4 mill because backup QBs are such a commodity, and I don't think the Bills will do that nor should they for that money. I am not at all against bringing in a vet, but I don't see them paying that much for one.

True but I think that's largely because they've siad Ponder is 100% coming back and they are committed to drafting a guy. I think Cassel wants an opportunity where he at least has a shot at playing. The Vikes have made things pretty clear - they still see him as a 3rd wheel despite him outplaying Ponder and Freeman last year. Whether he consider Buffalo somewhere he might get a shot I'm less sure.

I have gone back and watched a lot of Geno Smith from this past season...I will say, while EJ never looked as bad as Geno at his worst, he never looked as good as Geno at his best. I think it is still very possible that both these guys turn out to be very good, reliable, starters...but both need work.

What game or games did you consider Geno to be at his best?

We've had "turmoil" at the QB position since Flutie last lead us to the playoffs. This pundit has a firm grasp of the obvious and a handle on idiocy, too. Any knucklehead can predict "turmoil" at the QB position for any team looking to start a second year pro, drafted as a project, whose rookie year of development was cut short.

GO BILLS!!!