Stevie Johnson should be dealt addition by subtraction

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills cut him, then we are essentially confirming that the FO has no interest in winning. If we trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick, we're just stupid. He's extremely productive for us. We need to add another good to great WR to complement him.

If the Bills cut him, then we are essentially confirming that the FO has no interest in winning. If we trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick, we're just stupid. He's extremely productive for us. We need to add another good to great WR to complement him.

Still, he was moved to the slot last year, which may not have really been the best idea, but could also be opening ammo in a contract re-negotiation.

I wouldn't think the Bills would get rid of one of their best players, but then again it is seemingly more important that Greggo Marrone is surrounded by yes men.

This is what worries me. Watch the Colts pair him with Rodgers. They both get 1000 yard 6+ TD seasons. ouch.

If his contract goes with him and clears our books then trade him to Cleveland for their 4th rd pick.

I'd want a 3rd, but I have to think you are correct that Cleveland would be interested in him. The problem is I don't see a replacement for him on the roster. If it frees up money to keep Byrd then that's another story. We can get 2 WR's in the draft as it appears to be deep there.

This is what worries me. Watch the Colts pair him with Rodgers. They both get 1000 yard 6+ TD seasons. ouch.

:lol: Good one.

If you're not joking, you do realize there are at least four receivers ahead of Rogers on their roster. That includes their own version of Chris Hogan in Griff Whalen.

Not any bonuses he received. They would have been spread over the life of the contract, but if he is traded the bills have to take a cap hit all at once.

Right, my mistake. :oops:

So it seems they'd save $15-18 million in real money but still have approximately $17 mil in dead money over the next three years?

I always laugh when fans say they will no longer be a fan if this or that happens. You will still be a fan or you were never a fan. That is the way it works.

Forgive my hyperbolic filled statement. I was simply annoyed by the knee jerk reaction of some people on this board, and I suppose that was hypocritical to the message I was trying to get across. I will always be a fan of this franchise

My point is that releasing a player like Stevie Johnson will epitomize the depths to which this franchise has fallen in asinine decision making that has left it in shambles over the past century. We as fans are so concerned over the monetary aspects of decisions, but at some point, the franchise must keep some assets that are valuable or it will never be successful, period.

Moreover, players like Stevie who galvanize the "fire" within this team are even more important to success. Stevie's antics, in moderation, are acceptable.

We all saw pure passion from Richard Sherman during that now famous post game interval with Erin Andrews. Every team needs individuals to imbue a sense of urgency and motivation into a locker room in order create a winning culture. Stevie is one of those players. He is a leader of this team. Players look up to him, and to get rid of him without a surefire replacement when we have the cap room is stupid.

I will consider the argument that his performance is the reason for this discussion taking place. But giving the revolving nature of our offense this year and Stevie's personal problems, I still think he is one of the best receivers in the league, and for that reason, I will be infuriated if the Bills cut ties with him. But still a fan, nonetheless.

I enjoy the endless endless threads that the Bills don't keep their own talent that is immediately followed by the "we need to get rid of this guy" threads.

Has the "we don't keep our talent" argument been relevant since 2010? Is Lynch the last guy we can point to that burned us in this regard? Is it even a valid point anymore?

I'm not invalidating it out of pocket, I'm sincerely wondering who we can point to since 2010 to whom this applies.

Has the "we don't keep our talent" argument been relevant since 2010? Is Lynch the last guy we can point to that burned us in this regard? Is it even a valid point anymore?

I'm not invalidating it out of pocket, I'm sincerely wondering who we can point to since 2010 to whom this applies.

Yes re-signing Chris Kelsay to that huge extension proves the Bills know what they are doing.

No, it's not relevant in the least.

That doesn't stop people from characterizing the organization that way though...despite the fact that they re-sign the overwhelming majority of players.

Yes re-signing Chris Kelsay to that huge extension proves the Bills know what they are doing.

It was also the opposite of letting guys go who shouldn't have been let go...which was, you know, what we were talking about. :doh:

Questionable releases:

1. Lynch (during the 2010 season)
  2. Whitner (after the 2010 season)
  3. Poz (after the 2010 season)

Seriously, can someone name another? Not to mention, does anyone really see ALL THREE of those cuts as irrefutably bad for the organization?

No, it's not relevant in the least.

That doesn't stop people from characterizing the organization that way though...despite the fact that they re-sign the overwhelming majority of players.

Now, flame me all you like, and accuse me of having personal motives if you must, but how then are so many Bills (like they were when we cut Lee Evans) cocked-sure that cutting SJ13 would be a mistake?

Still not seeing how getting rid of SJ and/or Byrd helps this team for 2014. It's playoffs or bust and right now they don't, as you point out, have a better option. Marrone has some talented players that he needs to work with, not get rid of because they aren't exactly his type of player.

Nix talked late in 2012/early 2013 about moving SJ to the slot, which was a bad decision. SJ may not be the #1 people crave, but he's better on the outside despite not having great speed.

It would also help if Manuel could attempt and complete the throws Fitzpatrick did. That's not a statement on either, but I don't think EJ got the ball to receivers who were open downfield. The All-22 seemed to indicate EJ remained gun-shy and it affected SJ's numbers.

This might be your most reasonable post ever. Congrats. I agree with everything you said here. :)

Getting rid of talented players who aren't in legal trouble or problems in the lockerroom is just dumb.

I also love guys like Tim Graham. He wants us to spend a 1st on another qb (thus not getting another valuable player at another position) and then he advocates getting rid of our best wr. Genius.

It was also the opposite of letting guys go who shouldn't have been let go...which was, you know, what we were talking about. :doh:

Questionable releases:

1. Lynch (during the 2010 season)

2. Whitner (after the 2010 season)

3. Poz (after the 2010 season)

Seriously, can someone name another? Not to mention, does anyone really see ALL THREE of those cuts as irrefutably bad for the organization?

Now, flame me all you like, and accuse me of having personal motives if you must, but how then are so many Bills (like they were when we cut Lee Evans) cocked-sure that cutting SJ13 would be a mistake?

Probably because they've seen Stevie be very productive with questionable QB play, and believe that he can be a key contributor to a very good offense if the QB play can get straightened out.

Does that mean the folks that think that way are correct? No, not necessarily. For my part, I believe there's more evidence to show that cutting him would be a mistake than there is to show that it would be a benefit.

Probably because they've seen Stevie be very productive with questionable QB play, and believe that he can be a key contributor to a very good offense if the QB play can get straightened out.

Does that mean the folks that think that way are correct? No, not necessarily. For my part, I believe there's more evidence to show that cutting him would be a mistake than there is to show that it would be a benefit.

Uuuuh...Lee Evans also broke franchise records...with JP !@#$ing Losman chucking it deep.

Why can't cutting him be neutral? Why does there have to be a benefit? Can't it just be "not bad?" This isn't wishful thinking here: what if they just don't like the guy? May be the FO sees it as a net zero.

Again, I don't think they should cut him. But I wouldn't be shocked/dismayed if they did.

Uuuuh...Lee Evans also broke franchise records...with JP !@#$ing Losman chucking it deep.

Why can't cutting him be neutral? Why does there have to be a benefit? Can't it just be "not bad?" This isn't wishful thinking here: what if they just don't like the guy? May be the FO sees it as a net zero.

Again, I don't think they should cut him. But I wouldn't be shocked/dismayed if they did.

I was one of the biggest Evans fans around. SJ is a much more well rounded wr. How are we making this team better by getting rid of our best & most veteran wr? Especially because I know first hand that he is beloved by his Wrs.

Listen. Please don't get facts or rational opinions get in the way of a Bills fans right to run players out of town, it's both disrespectful to Andy Levitre and it affects people's confidence levels.

Bills fans run players out of town? Wow, that's powerful.