Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What irks me about this is that Haslam--through his own mismanagment and blunders-- may have lucked into a good GM and good HC.

If in 2-3 years, Haslam-- like Kraft-- is being hailed as a "model" or "genius," I will be beside myself.

That would be a miracle. He has no idea what is going on right now. He has fired 2 GMs, 2 HCs, and 2 CEOs within 13 mos. He owns gas stations. He is under investigation for federal fraud. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah, but did Lombardi hire him? Does Pettine now become the "other guy's guy" before he even wears a whistle?

If what Rapoport twited is true, then yes that's exactly what happened.

to be fair, it was rumored they were stripped of any real power in the search. which made the search even more odd at the time.

Hadn't heard this. If true, who did have the power?

WOW so much for that draft board or being prepared for the draft I hope Pettine has some no dose around cause it looks like he & his staff will be working a lot of extra hours .

Man if any body in the league thought the Bills were a mess this makes them look like a well oiled machine in comparison to the dumpster fire that the Browns look like !!

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

What does #Browns upheaval mean for the future of Mike Pettine? Source says new GM Ray Farmer wasn’t present during head coach interviews

well, if theres one thing i think we can take away from the last year, its that you need haslam on your side, not anyone else. and haslam was the decision maker. but who knows, itd be fitting for him to now step back and give the GM power to switch directions, so he could again step up and change directions shortly thereafter.

The Nix-Whaley thing was a handover planned pretty much from the day Nix brought Whaley in. The extent to which he chose the timing or Russ chose it is open for debate, but Whaley clearly played a key role in the selection of Marrone and in the draft process particularly last year. This looks more of a mess than that I would suggest.

If what Rapoport twited is true, then yes that's exactly what happened.

Hadn't heard this. If true, who did have the power?

word was it was all the owner. which is probably part of why it was so disastrous all around, and additionally why no one could get a good read on it or info.

Yeah, but did Lombardi hire him? Does Pettine now become the "other guy's guy" before he even wears a whistle?

Apparently, Banner is leaving on his own accord. Lombardi fired. Lombardi was never at any press conferences or anything. He was useless anyway. But, Farmer was not present at any of the HC interviews.

Link?

Hmmm.... will try to find one. It was discussed that he took control over the search around the time a bunch of the candidates were dropping out.

Here's a different take

"The biggest winner here is Pettine. The black cloud hanging over his young tenure as coach was a sense that he wouldn't wield any say over his own roster. Instead of dealing with layers of front-office men, Pettine will now work hand-in-hand with Farmer to rebuild a Browns team that hasn't won a playoff game since New Year's Day 1995."

FTW: Anthony Rothman@AnthonyRothman 38s

This will get really awesome when Jimmy hires Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner today. @Browns

Here's a different take

"The biggest winner here is Pettine. The black cloud hanging over his young tenure as coach was a sense that he wouldn't wield any say over his own roster. Instead of dealing with layers of front-office men, Pettine will now work hand-in-hand with Farmer to rebuild a Browns team that hasn't won a playoff game since New Year's Day 1995."

This is exactly what I thought when I heard this.