Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tressel would have been a very good hire.

But why didnt Cleveland dump Lombardi and Banner soon after they dumped Chud. ? I mean that would have made the HC job more juicy for canidates?

My question, exactly. Should have cleaned house all at the same time. Haslam has reportedly not been happy with either of them for some time.

No winning seasons in nine years and no playoff appearances in 14 years.

Everyone knows about the Bills playoff drought. My understanding of a "grease fire" is massive organizational dysfunction - like the Redskins and Browns. But that's just my opinion. Edited by YoloinOhio

According to PFT, Farmer was not at Pettine's interview. Interesting.

http://profootballta...hing-interview/

That would SHOCK me. When I first read the announcement, I thought it was a Nix/Whaley deal, not that Lombardi/Banner knew they'd get canned, but that Farmer was involved and endorsed the hire. If Farmer didn't agree with Pettine hire, Pettine might have a very short tenure as Browns HC and already be on the proverbial hot seat and Browns might already be eyeing Quinn after the Hawk remarkable SB effort

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

That would SHOCK me. When I first read the announcement, I thought it was a Nix/Whaley deal, not that Lombardi/Banner knew they'd get canned, but that Farmer was involved and endorsed the hire. If Farmer didn't agree with Pettine hire, Pettine might have a very short tenure as Browns HC and already be on the proverbial hot seat and Browns might already be eyeing Quinn after the Hawk remarkable SB effort

He wasn't in the interviews, but that doesn't mean he doesn't agree with the hiring. It just means that they didn't care whether he agreed or not.

Why is Joe Banner staying until May? To help with the draft? I don't think Ray Farmer wants him anywhere near his draft.

He wasn't in the interviews, but that doesn't mean he doesn't agree with the hiring. It just means that they didn't care whether he agreed or not.

Why is Joe Banner staying until May? To help with the draft? I don't think Ray Farmer wants him anywhere near his draft.

Could be more administrative, providing input and advice -- Farmer would make final decisions, just like Whaley did in 2013 Bills draft

Everyone knows about the Bills playoff drought. My understanding of a "grease fire" is massive organizational dysfunction - like the Redskins and Browns. But that's just my opinion.

i think it takes some pretty solid dysfunction to be where we are currently.

i think it takes some pretty solid dysfunction to be where we are currently.

The Browns interviewed a coach who was one year removed from being the HC at Utah St. HE turned THEM down. The owner could be facing federal criminal charges for his business. He is either corrupt for knowing about it and letting happen, or completely inept for not knowing.

Do you think the Bills are currently a dysfunctional organization? I was talking about the present day, not previous regimes. I'm not arguing, but from where I sit in Browns country I don't see a grease fire at OBD.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Browns interviewed a coach who was one year removed from being the HC at Utah St. HE turned THEM down. The owner could be facing federal criminal charges for his business. He is either corrupt for knowing about it and letting happen, or completely inept for not knowing.

Do you think the Bills are currently a dysfunctional organization? I was talking about the present day, not previous regimes. I'm not arguing, but from where I sit in Browns country I don't see a grease fire at OBD.

+1, I've been very critical of the Bills FO and by association the owner --- but this groups takes the cake ! It's easy to joke about our owner being asleep at the wheel (literally for a 94 year old), but Browns fans have to be ready to jump. Maybe in the end, it will all work out -- I think Pettine will be a good HC and Farmer can't be any worse than Lombardi/Banner --- but, what a path to get there

Do you think the Bills are currently a dysfunctional organization? I was talking about the present day.

theyve certainly got us beat by a mile.

but compared to about 20 other organizations, i think we probably qualify as fairly dysfunctional though. if instead of a optimistic fan you go through the glasses of an outsider we have a 95 year old owner with no succession plan, our coach was .500 in the big east, our GM was assistant to and handgroomed by our last failed gm, we are trotting out our 5th defensive scheme in 5 years, we reached for a project qb and Russ has been some variation of ships captain for a pretty good chunk of the 14 year run (along with constants like overdorf and littman). i think at this point we still have something to prove before claiming to be well functioning. though as a fan, im hopeful.

given whaley, brandon, littman, overdorf are all holdovers from the last regime, and the last 3 are have been in positions of power the entire time.... im not sure how far we can fully separate this regime from past.

Edited by NoSaint

Everyone knows about the Bills playoff drought. My understanding of a "grease fire" is massive organizational dysfunction - like the Redskins and Browns. But that's just my opinion.

3rd HC in 5 years. 4th DC in 4 years. Sophomore HC with nearly entirely new staff second year in a row....

theyve certainly got us beat by a mile.

but compared to about 20 other organizations, i think we probably qualify as fairly dysfunctional though. if instead of a optimistic fan you go through the glasses of an outsider we have a 95 year old owner with no succession plan, our coach was .500 in the big east, our GM was assistant to and handgroomed by our last failed gm, we are trotting out our 5th defensive scheme in 5 years, we reached for a project qb and Russ has been some variation of ships captain for a pretty good chunk of the 14 year run (along with constants like overdorf and littman). i think at this point we still have something to prove before claiming to be well functioning. though as a fan, im hopeful.

That's a good assessment of why the Bills have not been back to the playoffs... I look at "grease fires" and the like as teams like the Redskins who were all plotting against each other internally and the seemingly weekly Browns fiascos.

3rd HC in 5 years. 4th DC in 4 years. Sophomore HC with nearly entirely new staff second year in a row....

Again, not my definition of a grease fire. Lack of continuity, sure. I am not trying to argue anything... I personally just don't see the Bills as a grease fire based on their coaching staff.

Yea, tell that to Brian Sipe. Sam Rutigliano, and Marty Schottheimer.

Are these the functional Browns? Edited by YoloinOhio

That's a good assessment of why the Bills have not been back to the playoffs... I look at "grease fires" and the like as teams like the Redskins who were all plotting against each other internally and the seemingly weekly Browns fiascos.

i suppose by that definition of grease fire..... is that one official?

even so, i think we could let the question of "what the hell has happened in our front office the last decade and a half?" sit open ended still, as im not sure that we have any answer or assurance its been corrected. if some of the behind the scenes guys are causing the issues, its very possible we are no better off, its simply better concealed.