Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 2m

#Browns blockbuster announcement: Ray Farmer promoted to GM, Joe Banner to step down as CEO, GM Michael Lombardi to leave team.

Anyone think their New HC maybe having second thoughts?

WTH, Cleveland? If this was in the plans all along. Why not have him involved with the coaching selection, instead of the other two stiff's?

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/browns-announced-front-office-changes-021114

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interesting to see who improves more, Browns or Bills next season.

Browns were 4-12. They only have to win 5 games to "improve" especially given the mess that is there and no QB. Bills need to make the playoffs to have improved. Currently, the media is still obsessed with the fact their new HC is the one guy who made Brandon Weeden look good last year.

From that Peter King article it sounds like Haslam did the right thing. As dysfunctional as the Browns seem I think that it'll work out better for them this year.

I've gone from not being surprised if they make the playoffs to thinking they actually might make the playoffs, and that sucks because I actually have a better feeling about the Browns post season chances than our own Bills chances.

Edited by Kevin

From that Peter King article it sounds like Banner did the right thing. As dysfunctional as the Browns seem I think that it'll work out better for them this year.

I've gone from not being surprised if they make the playoffs to thinking they actually might make the playoffs, and that sucks because I actually have a better feeling about the Browns post season chances than our own Bills chances.

Do you mean Haslam and not Banner? I'm a bit confused.

It might work out better for them but they have to prove that they aren't a complete sh-- show by sticking with the program even when things don't go as hoped. Easier said than done.

For all the people on here who don't like what the Bills are doing, they are right not to follow the Browns' course. The people leaving the Bills are leaving for promotions and generally not to placate fans. Hopefully Marrone proves worthy of that trust.

From that Peter King article it sounds like Banner did the right thing. As dysfunctional as the Browns seem I think that it'll work out better for them this year.

Why do you think this? Serious question.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 54m

Schiano's candidacy created "major rift" between Haslam and Banner, per @SI_PeterKing http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pwa

Edited by YoloinOhio

It might work out better for them but they have to prove that they aren't a complete sh-- show by sticking with the program even when things don't go as hoped. Easier said than done.

For all the people on here who don't like what the Bills are doing, they are right not to follow the Browns' course. The people leaving the Bills are leaving for promotions and generally not to placate fans. Hopefully Marrone proves worthy of that trust.

i assume he meant haslam. and i think what must be remembered is haslam is the same one that created the last round of troubles, so its hard to say that by firing those guys that it should be fixed now (not directed at you). the thing that should worry any browns fan is reading that article and hitting the quote from haslam about how he feels most of his business mistakes are caused by not acting fast enough. i think what he will learn in the nfl (if browns fans are to have any hope) is that you have to have some patience too. just because a player or coach isnt working quite right RIGHT NOW, doesnt mean its not a reasonable long term plan to stick with.

Why do you think this? Serious question.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 54m

Schiano's candidacy created "major rift" between Haslam and Banner, per @SI_PeterKing http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pwa

I for some reason appreciate that Schiano screws things up wherever he goes, even if he doesn't really go there.

i assume he meant haslam. and i think what must be remembered is haslam is the same one that created the last round of troubles, so its hard to say that by firing those guys that it should be fixed now (not directed at you). the thing that should worry any browns fan is reading that article and hitting the quote from haslam about how he feels most of his business mistakes are caused by not acting fast enough. i think what he will learn in the nfl (if browns fans are to have any hope) is that you have to have some patience too. just because a player or coach isnt working quite right RIGHT NOW, doesnt mean its not a reasonable long term plan to stick with.

Right. It's also ironic that he is seeking the advice of a guy that the Browns probably didn't stick with for long enough (Belicheck).

Good story. Let's bet that there are two sides to this story, however.

None of the principals involved is blameless I'm sure. Nevertheless, it's a flaming pile that ultimately points back to Haslam. The long suffering Cleveland fans certainly deserve much better. Good luck Pettine!

I meant Haslam and fixed it. Thank you for pointing that out. I kind of look at it another way. Haslam basically admitted he made a mistake by hiring Banner and Lombardi, and he fixed it when he realized it was a mistake. In reality it was the perfect time to make the change (if there is ever a perfect time).

I meant Haslam and fixed it. Thank you for pointing that out. I kind of look at it another way. Haslam basically admitted he made a mistake by hiring Banner and Lombardi, and he fixed it when he realized it was a mistake. In reality it was the perfect time to make the change (if there is ever a perfect time).

well, im not sure right after hiring your second head coach with that group within a year ever qualifies as the perfect time. if he was going to clear house it should have been from the start of the offseason, not now. then he could find his GM and work with him to find their coach. thats what a reasonable man thats done making mistakes would have done.