Per Bills text Rob Moore hired as WR coach

Beerball

Of course I'll just have to wait to see. I understand he was a good player. But his resume is unimpressive. 4 years coaching WRs at Syracuse. Aside from High School coaching, that's it. I'm skeptical, but hopefully it works out.

The thing that will help him succeed more than anything though is more talent at the WR position.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cuse.com/coac...6&path=football

BTW I am sure this deal was verbally made awhile ago. College asst coaches moving to other programs or to the NFL usually wait until after National Letter of Intent Day to make it official, which was yesterday.

probably 100% true. signing day is a big deal, and given his relationship with the school it only makes sense that they would extend that courtesy. especially since there was no real urgency to fill the position on our end.

No reflection on Rob Moores capabilities, but the continued hiring of Marrone "buddies" is troubling. It is certainly legit to hire people that are qualified, and those in which you already have a relationship. It fosters a hit the ground running situation. bypasses the get to know each other phase. But, our young guys could use some help and I always wonder if the good old boy network is better than best coach available. Lots of old NFL receivers around.....we need a good coach. Anyhow, Marrone's show here, Moore is his man. So be it, Marrone will succeed or fail with the team of coaches he fields. Chan Gailey failed, partially, because of the coaches he picked. (thinking on the D side) Marrone at the same risk here.

I think this is true of every HC, as they all pick coaches they are familiar with.

Of course I'll just have to wait to see. I understand he was a good player. But his resume is unimpressive. 4 years coaching WRs at Syracuse. Aside from High School coaching, that's it. I'm skeptical, but hopefully it works out.

The thing that will help him succeed more than anything though is more talent at the WR position.

Although I get your larger point, that's not "entirely" accurate. He did coach WRs at Phoenix Junior College but more to the point, he worked as a consultant at Protect Management and Athlete's Performance, "training athletes for the NFL Draft where he oversaw future draft picks including Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, Vernon Davis, Golden Tate, and Arrelious Benn" per Chris Brown on the Buffalo BILLS App.....not saying anything about the question of his ability to improve the WRs on this team, just that it wasn't limited to *just* 4 years as Syracuse's WR's coach.

The Bills essentially have two WR coaches on staff, one inexperienced and one very experienced.

Yep, that is the point I made earlier in the thread. I don't think you can even look at the Moore hire on its own. I think we need to look at is a Hostler and Moore package deal. Hostler likely got the fancy title to pay him more, get him to come here vs maybe a place like Cleveland who really needs/needed experienced offensive coaches, and because he'll probably be utlilized in a broader capacity alongside Hackett. But I am sure the WRs will see a lot of Hostler.

Not advocating one way or the other for Moore, but do you know who else is available that would be better? Serious question, as I haven't researched it. Also, they hired the WR coach from Baltimore. They basically have a Sr. WR coach and Jr. WR coach. To me, that means they know enough about Moore from coaching with him to think he is a good WR coach who knows the system they are running (I know some people just want to say Marrone is hiring his "buddies" but in NFL terms it means they are hiring people who know the system), but they are giving him an established NFL WR coach as well to coach under (Hostler). Where's the downside?

This is the biggest reason this doesn't worry me as much. John Murphy had the Ravens play-by-play announcer on his show (Link below) and they talked about Hostler. Sandusky (Not that Sandusky, the Ravens play-by-play announcer) said that Hostler had 2 great qualities, evaluating talent and teaching technique. Sandusky said they went to Torrey Smith's first practice and they immediately thought he could bust because he was fast but ran poor routes and didn't have great ball skills. Smith may not be one of the best receivers in the league, but he's very good thanks in part to Hostler.

I don't believe Hostler's role is specifically with the WR's, but you have to imagine that's one part he'll keep a close eye on. Considering the recent hires Marrone has made outside of the organization, I'm not overly concerned with him hiring someone he's worked with in the past, even if Moore doesn't have NFL experience.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Sandusky_Hostler_is_a_great_teacher_of_technique/bb5bec00-d049-4042-8218-4e50bcef3764

Edited by elroy16

No reflection on Rob Moores capabilities, but the continued hiring of Marrone "buddies" is troubling. It is certainly legit to hire people that are qualified, and those in which you already have a relationship. It fosters a hit the ground running situation. bypasses the get to know each other phase. But, our young guys could use some help and I always wonder if the good old boy network is better than best coach available. Lots of old NFL receivers around.....we need a good coach. Anyhow, Marrone's show here, Moore is his man. So be it, Marrone will succeed or fail with the team of coaches he fields. Chan Gailey failed, partially, because of the coaches he picked. (thinking on the D side) Marrone at the same risk here.

Why is it troubling? Most coaches do the exact same thing. See Mike Pettine’s staff in Cleveland or Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee. No one is hiring anyone, friend or no, thinking they aren’t getting a good coach. Sometimes the results don’t follow, but that could be the case if a coach hired a crew of strangers. Such is life...

Edited by purple haze

It's late in the hiring game. Moore's probably the best they could do

I disagree that they are hiring him "late" for any other reason that he didn't want to officially leave before National Letter of Intent Day at 'Cuse (yesterday). BTW, other teams still making hires at position coach as well.

I think one of the things they're looking for is a WR coach who teaches the WRs how to act like grown men off of the field. Perhaps Moore can do a better job of that than Hilliard, who failed with Stevie (somewhat) and Da'Rick.

Stevie, a veteran, was a clown well before he met Hilliard. That wasn't his job--that's the HC's job, setting the tone.

Da'Rick was cut by Marrone in August, thus Ike didn't have much of a chance to do anything with Rogers. Marrone said "we have better players right now" at WR--which included at the time such ball catching stars as Easley, Brad Smith, Hogan, and Brandon Kaufman (who, as a group, had a total of 12 catches last year).

Hilliard's firing had nothing to do with Da'Rick, I would say. Did Marrone fire his d-line coach for Dareus (another veteran) being late several times?

But hey, rescuing another low level coach from Syracuse will guarantee another guy on the staff with no "philosophical differences" with the HC.

im pretty sure i still have a few of his rookie cards packed away in my collection....i remember him mainly due to the fact I was just starting to collect cards arround 89-90 and thought wow someone from syracuse got drafted into the nfl...lol..at that time i wasnt really "knowledgeable" about syracuse or the draft...just knew syracuse was close to me..lol

they listed some good wr's he had some dealings with..wonder how many wr's he tried helping that didnt make it

BTW I am sure this deal was verbally made awhile ago. College asst coaches moving to other programs or to the NFL usually wait until after National Letter of Intent Day to make it official, which was yesterday.

I never understood that. So a kid signs a letter of intent with a college then the next day the coaches he would have been working with are gone? I'd be pretty pissed, particularly if the deal was made ahead of time. Bait and switch.

Stevie, a veteran, was a clown well before he met Hilliard. That wasn't his job--that's the HC's job, setting the tone.

Da'Rick was cut by Marrone in August, thus Ike didn't have much of a chance to do anything with Rogers. Marrone said "we have better players right now" at WR--which included at the time such ball catching stars as Easley, Brad Smith, Hogan, and Brandon Kaufman (who, as a group, had a total of 12 catches last year).

Hilliard's firing had nothing to do with Da'Rick, I would say. Did Marrone fire his d-line coach for Dareus (another veteran) being late several times?

But hey, rescuing another low level coach from Syracuse will guarantee another guy on the staff with no "philosophical differences" with the HC.

You want an assistant coach who has philosophical differences with the HC? Regardless of what you think of Rob Moore being hired, I don't think that makes sense in any case. You want everyone on the same page.

I think one of the things they're looking for is a WR coach who teaches the WRs how to act like grown men off of the field. Perhaps Moore can do a better job of that than Hilliard, who failed with Stevie (somewhat) and Da'Rick.

I doubt they’re looking for that at all. Marrone/Hackett are looking for a coach to implement their offensive system amongst the WR group while, at the same time, helping the WR’s get better performance individually. Coaches aren’t baby sitters in the NFL.

And as far as off the field I’m still waiting on someone to tell me what exactly Stevie Johnson has done? He’s a family guy; not in the middle of anything crazy that I’ve heard about. Was he arrested or accused of something criminal?