Per Bills text Rob Moore hired as WR coach

Beerball

Well, I would have thought Marrone would have spent more than a few minutes vetting his coaches before he hired them--you know, to find out exactly what their philosophy was and to tell them exactly what his philosophy is.

My guess is that the philosophy may have involved Hilliard telling Marrone that dumping Rogers was a mistake.

How do you vet someone WRT an undrafted FA WR who would be signed 3 months later? But let's pretend that that was the reason Hilliard got canned. Do you agree with him?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would have thought Marrone would have spent more than a few minutes vetting his coaches before he hired them--you know, to find out exactly what their philosophy was and to tell them exactly what his philosophy is.

My guess is that the philosophy may have involved Hilliard telling Marrone that dumping Rogers was a mistake.

Numbers 1,2 and 4 are ridiculous and have nothing to do with a position coach. Look, if Stevie wants to do some Stevie stuff (and the stuff you mention is completely insignificant), it's because he assumes that it's fine with his HC.

As for #3, is the QB and the WRs are struggling to find eachother--it is the job of the Offensive Coordinator to get them to the same spot. That doesn't fall on the WR coach--especially with the quality of QB we were lining up under center last year. It's entirely possible that the QB did not have a firm grasp on where his QBs were. Why didn't Marrone fire his QB coach also?

this is a classic 'all other things being equal' response. using your logic that 'he assumes that it's fine with his HC', in a perfect world i'd assume you're right--all other things being equal. rationally, i'd think members of the team follow the rules set out by the coaching staff, so, since stevie did what stevie did, he's of the mind that it's all good. i don't see that application here at all, especially given sj's actions in the past. it seems to be fairly common knowledge that stevie goes off the rez every now and again, are we to assume he does so with the understanding that the coach is on borard with it all? problem is, all other things are not always equal.

dareus and his apparent lack of respect for meeting times...how can that be explained or rationalized? seems pretty simple to me. meeting starts at 10. you showed up consistently at 10:17. did he assume that was fine with the coach too?

as for the other things posted...i don't know who has inside information and who doesn't. seems to me as likely that marrone let hilliard go because he whiffed on rogers ("Doug, too much work and the kid's a total f-up) as it went some other way. I have no idea other than it just is what it is.

in the end, marrone will succeed, or he will not. i could care less if he hired his brother's girlfriends uncle's cousin to be wr coach if he wins games or not. i find it implausible that marrone--or any coach---would go out of his way to hire someone he knew was likely to fail simply because they play canasta together every other friday night. i think he hired him because he thought he could do the job, though who knows, maybe the guy was his thrid choice and the first two said no.

one more thing--in the end, we all want proven coaches who are the best at what they do. that's natural. at the same time, shanahan boots it in washington, joe gibbs redeux was bad, spagnola and schwartz are two examples of hot hand defensive coordinators that most fans would have welcomed as their 'new head coach'. it's all a giant crap shoot.

i'm with the brave lion.

this is a classic 'all other things being equal' response. using your logic that 'he assumes that it's fine with his HC', in a perfect world i'd assume you're right--all other things being equal. rationally, i'd think members of the team follow the rules set out by the coaching staff, so, since stevie did what stevie did, he's of the mind that it's all good. i don't see that application here at all, especially given sj's actions in the past. it seems to be fairly common knowledge that stevie goes off the rez every now and again, are we to assume he does so with the understanding that the coach is on borard with it all? problem is, all other things are not always equal.

dareus and his apparent lack of respect for meeting times...how can that be explained or rationalized? seems pretty simple to me. meeting starts at 10. you showed up consistently at 10:17. did he assume that was fine with the coach too?

as for the other things posted...i don't know who has inside information and who doesn't. seems to me as likely that marrone let hilliard go because he whiffed on rogers ("Doug, too much work and the kid's a total f-up) as it went some other way. I have no idea other than it just is what it is.

in the end, marrone will succeed, or he will not. i could care less if he hired his brother's girlfriends uncle's cousin to be wr coach if he wins games or not. i find it implausible that marrone--or any coach---would go out of his way to hire someone he knew was likely to fail simply because they play canasta together every other friday night. i think he hired him because he thought he could do the job, though who knows, maybe the guy was his thrid choice and the first two said no.

one more thing--in the end, we all want proven coaches who are the best at what they do. that's natural. at the same time, shanahan boots it in washington, joe gibbs redeux was bad, spagnola and schwartz are two examples of hot hand defensive coordinators that most fans would have welcomed as their 'new head coach'. it's all a giant crap shoot.

i'm with the brave lion.

Good point. Or he just didn't see the development in the WR's he was hoping to see and wanted to bring Rob aboard all along.

Nice combination of coaches on board now.

we now have teachers and young coaches who are getting schooled to receive the baton from the smart old Goats.

Marrone has an in house developmental staff program up and running. Teachers and students and a great supporting cast possibly.

this is looking more and more interesting.And professional grade Does Goodell look at the Bills and knowingly nod ?

Marrone is going to plant his own coaching tree. book it !

i'm with the brave lion.

well said . almost everything.

And it's Pronounced Len-'nerd Skin-'nerd for gosh sakes

I hope so.

Still skeptical of the offense with Hackett and the defense with Pettine gone.

Thats reasonable.

I am optimistic . not thrilled because i feel that Marrone and Whaley are still dialing this in.

Made some nice steps to recover though. At least Bills seemed proactive with Pettine leaving and the O struggling. We damn near got two QB coaches not counting Nathaniel .

I hope so too brother

The local SU fans here in Syracuse aren't impressed:

http://www.syracuse....ml#incart_river

When the Buffalo Bill start impressing the tough-to-impress Bills fans here then you know that Bills are on their way up. Since the Syracuse area fans aren't impressed I don't see the Bills going anywhere.

I read through the comments.. so some of them aren't impressed with his recruiting? They still have sour grapes over Marrone leaving and they think the new guy has a better personality? How does that impact the Bills... also, did you happen to see any of the positive comments about Moore (and Marrone) or are those not valid...

BTW, reader comments under an online article are not always factual and tend to be a cross-section of opinion skewed to the negative (because people who like to complain go out of their way to do so in comments). It sounds like you live there and certainly you have a better feel for what 'Cuse fans think about the situation, but I know what its like to lose a college coach to the NFL.There are always fans who are going to wish him well and understand it is an opportunity to move up. Recruiting is a very grueling part of coaching in college, especially if a guy had a family. They are on the road a ton. Recruiting is a huge part of that job. In the NFL they can just coach and make more money doing it. On the other hand, some fans will take offense to a guy leaving and talk about how they never wanted him anyway and he sucked at this or that. Kind of like when Pettine left here.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just tweeted this:

Rob Moore used H-back Ashton Broyld in interesting ways. Would think he'd do the same with Summers, Gragg, Chandler, Hoskins, Ebron.

As described here http://forgedinbuffa...passing-attack/

the Bills are interested in employing the attack described well in that article, and you can see how any of those guys I listed would help.

Excellent! Thanks for posting the link!

I read through the comments.. so some of them aren't impressed with his recruiting? They still have sour grapes over Marrone leaving and they think the new guy has a better personality? How does that impact the Bills... also, did you happen to see any of the positive comments about Moore (and Marrone) or are those not valid...

BTW, reader comments under an online article are not always factual and tend to be a cross-section of opinion skewed to the negative (because people who like to complain go out of their way to do so in comments). It sounds like you live there and certainly you have a better feel for what 'Cuse fans think about the situation, but I know what its like to lose a college coach to the NFL.There are always fans who are going to wish him well and understand it is an opportunity to move up. Recruiting is a very grueling part of coaching in college, especially if a guy had a family. They are on the road a ton. Recruiting is a huge part of that job. In the NFL they can just coach and make more money doing it. On the other hand, some fans will take offense to a guy leaving and talk about how they never wanted him anyway and he sucked at this or that. Kind of like when Pettine left here.

I work in Syracuse as well. You can rest assured he doesn't have his finger on the pulse of how Syracuse fans feel. Anytime anything in relation to the SU-Marrone connection comes up, you can count on him to be there to bring up false anecdotes.

The hiring of "buddies" is one of the most common practices that exist in the NFL. Most coaching staffs are put together this way. For example, the Belicheck, Reid, Parcell, Walsh, etc "coaching trees" all have their origins in this way. It's the same in college. People hire their "buddies" because they're comfortable working with them, or because they feel they have proven themselves. Networking is how coaching staffs come together. Whether it works in this case will depend on the performance of the wide receivers in the coming year.

No reflection on Rob Moores capabilities, but the continued hiring of Marrone "buddies" is troubling. It is certainly legit to hire people that are qualified, and those in which you already have a relationship. It fosters a hit the ground running situation. bypasses the get to know each other phase. But, our young guys could use some help and I always wonder if the good old boy network is better than best coach available. Lots of old NFL receivers around.....we need a good coach. Anyhow, Marrone's show here, Moore is his man. So be it, Marrone will succeed or fail with the team of coaches he fields. Chan Gailey failed, partially, because of the coaches he picked. (thinking on the D side) Marrone at the same risk here.

we now have teachers and young coaches who are getting schooled to receive the baton from the smart old Goats.

Marrone has an in house developmental staff program up and running. Teachers and students and a great supporting cast possibly.

this is looking more and more interesting.And professional grade Does Goodell look at the Bills and knowingly nod ?

I was overwhelmed by the fonts, honestly. I should have grabbed the lp from the basement.

Besides, since I'm old enough to have the album, I should get a pass on any typos. Here's hoping marrone's on the right track. I'm running out of time.

I

I was overwhelmed by the fonts, honestly. I should have grabbed the lp from the basement.

Besides, since I'm old enough to have the album, I should get a pass on any typos. Here's hoping marrone's on the right track. I'm running out of time.

I

LOL

Yes , i had to go look at the LP .Their best effort i thought .

I am that olde too. And hell yes we get a pass !!

Edited by 3rdand12

How do you vet someone WRT an undrafted FA WR who would be signed 3 months later? But let's pretend that that was the reason Hilliard got canned. Do you agree with him?

You claim he didn't fire Hilliard over Rogers. Ok, then--if it was over differences in "philosophy", why did he hire Ike in the first place? MArrone had to know everything he needed to know about Hilliard's philosophy before he offerd him the job. Wouldn;t that make sense as part of the vetting/interview process?

Do I agree with whom?--about what? Cutting Rogers after hardly giving him any snaps in preseason--probably a mistake.

i'm with the brave lion.

Even bland Chan called Stevie out on his antics. The stuff Big Cat was citing as Stevie stuff was nonsense, but even so, Marrone has never said anything publically against SJ.

In contrast, no--obviously Dareus knows that his antics were not "OK" with Marrone, as Doug publicly punished him twice.

There is no reason for me to believe that: 1): Hillard recommended the cutting of Rogers and 2): that Marrone fired Ike for recommending cutting Rogers. Impossible to believe. Ike didn't decide who got the snaps in preseason games. I'm sure he felt they still had no idea what they had yet in Rogers--he was gone too quick. Evidence now suggests he was worth keeping over Brandon Kaufman, Roberson or Hogan.

You claim he didn't fire Hilliard over Rogers. Ok, then--if it was over differences in "philosophy", why did he hire Ike in the first place? MArrone had to know everything he needed to know about Hilliard's philosophy before he offerd him the job. Wouldn;t that make sense as part of the vetting/interview process?

I don't know why Marrone fired Hilliard. It could have been over what "leh-nerd skin-erd" said, i.e. that Hilliard told Marrone that Rogers was a bum and should be cut. Conversely maybe Hilliard was pissed that Marrone cut Rogers, felt unappreciated, and let Marrone know after Rogers had that one good game. But I just don't see how you "vet" someone months in advance over a specific player that you don't know you'll be getting, much less how he'll perform in your offense, much much less behave.

Do I agree with whom?--about what? Cutting Rogers after hardly giving him any snaps in preseason--probably a mistake.

Do you agree...with Hilliard? You didn't seem to think much of Rogers until now.

People get divorced every day. If it was over differences in "philosophy" why did they get married in the first place? The wife had to know everything she needed to know about the husband's philosophy before she agreed to marry him.

Missing on a WR coach isn't such a big deal especially since Ralph doesn't have to pay him alimony.

I don't know why Marrone fired Hilliard. It could have been over what "leh-nerd skin-erd" said, i.e. that Hilliard told Marrone that Rogers was a bum and should be cut. Conversely maybe Hilliard was pissed that Marrone cut Rogers, felt unappreciated, and let Marrone know after Rogers had that one good game. But I just don't see how you "vet" someone months in advance over a specific player that you don't know you'll be getting, much less how he'll perform in your offense, much much less behave.

Do you agree...with Hilliard? You didn't seem to think much of Rogers until now.

In the bolded part--I don't know why you keep asking that same question. I just answered. Take Rogers out of the question. Reread my answer above.

People get divorced every day. If it was over differences in "philosophy" why did they get married in the first place? The wife had to know everything she needed to know about the husband's philosophy before she agreed to marry him.

Missing on a WR coach isn't such a big deal especially since Ralph doesn't have to pay him alimony.

In this country, you will typically be marrying a single spouse, not assembling a staff of them to each perform a specific spousely duty (yet!).

Also, not many marriages last less than a year.

I'm a semi-professional soccer coach here in England. I've appointed guys that are very well regarded coaches who have interviewed well and who I've thought fitted what we were looking for "philiosophically" and then you work with them and over a period of time you think "nah... this isn't working out." It happens. Sometimes things just don't fit together as nicely as you had hoped. I suspect that is what happened with Hilliard. I don't think it had anything at all to do with any disagreement over D'Rick Rodgers. It's life sometimes it happens. The thing is people are not robots. So even when everything looks right on paper and seems to match up there are times when the reality is different and you don't know that until you are in the middle of the season. The speed with which the change was made at the end of the campaign suggests to me that they had probably both ome to the conculsion some time earlier that it would be best to go their separate ways.

Even bland Chan called Stevie out on his antics. The stuff Big Cat was citing as Stevie stuff was nonsense, but even so, Marrone has never said anything publically against SJ.

In contrast, no--obviously Dareus knows that his antics were not "OK" with Marrone, as Doug publicly punished him twice.

There is no reason for me to believe that: 1): Hillard recommended the cutting of Rogers and 2): that Marrone fired Ike for recommending cutting Rogers. Impossible to believe. Ike didn't decide who got the snaps in preseason games. I'm sure he felt they still had no idea what they had yet in Rogers--he was gone too quick. Evidence now suggests he was worth keeping over Brandon Kaufman, Roberson or Hogan.

Nonsense? Really?

It's official, there are two types of Bills fans when it comes to SJ: those who dare mention the childish antics we all bear witness to, and those who completely dismiss them out of hand, flaming the rest of us as uptight heretics with some kind of latent racist axe to grind.

Tell me then: how come every other player just put a suit on? Why was it Stevie who had to put on the stupid looking beanie when he talked to the press? And how is this not consistent with everything else fans like me have noticed/grown tired of?

In the bolded part--I don't know why you keep asking that same question. I just answered. Take Rogers out of the question. Reread my answer above.

"Differences in philosophy" is a euphemism for many things that would lead to fire someone. Not unlike "irreconcilable differences" is as an excuse to divorce.

I work in Syracuse as well. You can rest assured he doesn't have his finger on the pulse of how Syracuse fans feel. Anytime anything in relation to the SU-Marrone connection comes up, you can count on him to be there to bring up false anecdotes.

OK - thanks for the background. I wasn't here when Marrone was hired, so I am sure I missed a lot of drama.