CBS will air eight Thursday Night Football games in 2014

papazoid

I predict that the NFL's first game of the regular season, "The Kickoff Game", will be:

Seattle @ San Francisco

The NFL likes to have their first game be a big match-up. What better game could they come up with than this?

The disdain between the two teams, reliving the playoff game, reminding us of Richard Sherman's rant, and also the christening of the 49'ers new stadium.

Need I say more?

No way Seattle doesn't open at home.

Not a huge fan of Thursday night games either....but the advantage is, it increases the likelihood (however small) that a Bills game might be broadcast where I am (Texas) on Sunday afternoon.

I do agree, to a degree, that it dilutes the product...but honestly, for me, Thursday nights are just a bad night for football. Been working on Thursday nights for about 10+ years...if there is a game I really want to see, I have to take a night off, or switch a shift with someone. But, there have rarely been "can't miss" games on Thursday nights. I suspect, with CBS getting in on the action, that might change, at least the first half of the season...I am assuming, any Thursday Night Bills game will come in the second half of the season...let's just hope the Bills are still in the hunt when that happens.

Also the NFL confirmed that the Bills will play 8 games this year against one of the two teams that played on said Thursday night. Also noted that once there are no more teams the bills can play following their opponents thursday night game, the bills will play on thursday and the upcoming sunday to ensure parity in the nfl.

Edited by The Wiz

Tell you what man during the season after the monday night game, knowing theres more football to watch on thursday makes the week go by soo much faster

This is how I feel. I LOVE having a game to watch in the middle of the week.

Agree completely. I remember a thread on here a while ago, and I think we would be in the minority. A lot of people would love to see football every day.

I love the idea of football being on Sunday afternoons. very pure and focused. In fact, I don't even like MNF, let alone Thursdays and Saturdays.

Can live without MNF and TNF, and I'll raise you SNF - had my fill once the 4:00 games are through. Do like the idea of Saturday games once college conference championships are through.

Can live without MNF and TNF, and I'll raise you SNF - had my fill once the 4:00 games are through. Do like the idea of Saturday games once college conference championships are through.

I will see you SNF.

I would be very content if all games were played at 1 pm every Sunday. An action-packed 3 hours, and then have some time left in the weekend to wind down.

I will see you SNF.

I would be very content if all games were played at 1 pm every Sunday. An action-packed 3 hours, and then have some time left in the weekend to wind down.

I like the ability to watch several games. I'm committed to watching the Bills whenever they play, but I want the opportunity to see other games too. They try to make the prime time matchups (TNF notwithstanding) interesting or important and I want to be able to watch them.

A game here or there moved to other days of the week probably won't kill me, but I have little time and tend to forget to watch or get up to speed on the Thursday and Saturday games. My sense is that a lot of people like me-- i.e., people who are married, or with kids, or with busy jobs and who can't justify sitting down to watch 3 hours of football on Sunday, then Monday, then Thursday, and then Saturday-- aren't huge fans of spreading the games out.

i guess i still am not buying what you are selling here as you could easily watch your handful of games Sunday at 1 while the bills are on, and in the time you are on here you have easily covered enough minutes to catch up or get highlights of a thursday or sunday night or monday game. i mean this in no way negatively, but it doesnt seem you are hurting too badly for daily time to check on football day to day. you dont have to watch 3 hours during all the additional time slots, and you physically couldnt keep meaningful tabs on 16 games going at the same time.... ive heard the arguments, i just dont agree with them i guess.

I like the ability to watch several games. I'm committed to watching the Bills whenever they play, but I want the opportunity to see other games too. They try to make the prime time matchups (TNF notwithstanding) interesting or important and I want to be able to watch them.

yea, i have my reasons for not loving them, but i do like having the option to see more, and dont feel like it adds any obligation or extra commitment. if i miss thursday and now saturday, i can still catch the highlight in the pregame or half time package

that's not guaranteed.

just this pas t season 2013 opened with the SB champs Baltimore at Denver - Denver got the win

IIRC way back SB champs Dallas opened at Buffalo - Buffalo got the win

IIRC, there was a baseball schedule conflict this past year, but otherwise it's become SOP for the Champs to open at home.

that's not guaranteed.

just this pas t season 2013 opened with the SB champs Baltimore at Denver - Denver got the win

IIRC way back SB champs Dallas opened at Buffalo - Buffalo got the win

The only reason was the orioles schedule. New nfl standards are Super Bowl champ hosts the opening Thursday kickoff. It's a chance for the city to get a little boost and to unveil the team as reigning champion. Been that way about a decade or so now.