CBS will air eight Thursday Night Football games in 2014

papazoid

Thursday Night Football will air on CBS for eight weeks early in the 2014 regular season, the NFL announced today. The NFL confirmed that NFL Network will still air eight late-season games exclusively, without the CBS simulcast. And as part of the announcement, the NFL has also confirmed that there will be two late-season Saturday games in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/05/cbs-will-air-eight-thursday-night-football-games-in-2014/

I predict that the NFL's first game of the regular season, "The Kickoff Game", will be:

Seattle @ San Francisco

The NFL likes to have their first game be a big match-up. What better game could they come up with than this?

The disdain between the two teams, reliving the playoff game, reminding us of Richard Sherman's rant, and also the christening of the 49'ers new stadium.

Need I say more?

I predict that the NFL's first game of the regular season, "The Kickoff Game", will be:

Seattle @ San Francisco

The NFL likes to have their first game be a big match-up. What better game could they come up with than this?

The disdain between the two teams, reliving the playoff game, reminding us of Richard Sherman's rant, and also the christening of the 49'ers new stadium.

Need I say more?

The game is slated to be at Seattle. The Ravens were only away this year because of the Orioles game that night. The Mariners are set to be on the road for that night this year. My guess would still be SF as the opponent.

Denver also plays at Seattle this season. It could be them but they were in it in 2013.

Seattle @ San Francisco

Need I say more?

Ya, that's the most anticipated game on the 2014 schedule for sure.

Although everyone is going to watch Week 1 anyway...feels like kind of a waste.

Never liked the NFL on Thursday nights...dilutes the product too much.

Agree completely. I remember a thread on here a while ago, and I think we would be in the minority. A lot of people would love to see football every day.

I love the idea of football being on Sunday afternoons. very pure and focused. In fact, I don't even like MNF, let alone Thursdays and Saturdays.

Never liked the NFL on Thursday nights...dilutes the product too much.

i have reasons i dont particularly like it but i dont get the dilution angle.

Agree completely. I remember a thread on here a while ago, and I think we would be in the minority. A lot of people would love to see football every day.

I love the idea of football being on Sunday afternoons. very pure and focused. In fact, I don't even like MNF, let alone Thursdays and Saturdays.

so rather than not watching the jags texans on thursday, youd prefer to stick to not watching them on Sunday?

so rather than not watching the jags texans on thursday, youd prefer to stick to not watching them on Sunday?

:lol:

I love the Thursday games; if it's the Bills or a good match-up, I'll watch. If it's a crappy game or I'm busy, I don't.

I think because it spreads the games out a lot so that we're inundated with football all week...giving the pundits something to talk about when the baseball playoffs are over. Which...of course...is exactly what the NFL wants.

These games are always difficult to schedule. You'd think right now that something like Denver vs Arizona is supposed to be a good game, but if both teams fall apart and just suck by the time this game is played, what do you do?

Seattle @ San Francisco

Need I say more?

I predict you're wrong for one reason:

The 49ers opens a brand new, state-of-the art stadium and I'd be surprised to see the team open on the road for that very reason.

Thus, I think it's either Denver or Green Bay that makes the Week 1 trip to Seattle.

I predict you're wrong for one reason:

The 49ers opens a brand new, state-of-the art stadium and I'd be surprised to see the team open on the road for that very reason.

Thus, I think it's either Denver or Green Bay that makes the Week 1 trip to Seattle.

Probably why Vader said @ SF

Frankly, a lot of it has to do with losing track of the goings-on in the NFL. When everything is on Sunday, I can watch the Bills' game, flip over to other games, get highlights, and feel like I have a complete picture of the NFL, even of teams like the Jags. This is really unique, and unlike any other sport. In the other sports I follow, I basically follow my team, and that's it-- i.e., rarely see other teams play. For the NFL, it's great to be able to have league-wide knowledge.

Similarly, when I used to watch games at sports bars, there was just a cool feeling of being able to take in all of the action throughout the day.

A game here or there moved to other days of the week probably won't kill me, but I have little time and tend to forget to watch or get up to speed on the Thursday and Saturday games. My sense is that a lot of people like me-- i.e., people who are married, or with kids, or with busy jobs and who can't justify sitting down to watch 3 hours of football on Sunday, then Monday, then Thursday, and then Saturday-- aren't huge fans of spreading the games out.

These games are always difficult to schedule. You'd think right now that something like Denver vs Arizona is supposed to be a good game, but if both teams fall apart and just suck by the time this game is played,what do you do?

watch something else? or go do something not football related. which is especially easy to do when you have access to more than 2 games a week in the sunday early/late time slots.

it gives me a chance to see more good games in a week, thats all (minus my own dislike for the more practical reasons such as the short week for teams)

Love TNF, not a fan of Saturday though.

I like the Thursday night games, but I remember before they had them, there were late season games on Saturdays after college football regular season and before the bowls started. It kind of bridged the gap and added to the holiday season. I liked those late afternoon Saturday games in December.

Football is at it's apex of popularity right now. With the continued pussification of America, Mommy will not let Junior play Dodgeball, little on football. The end is in sight. So, enjoy it while you can.