Pepper Johnson to Bills Staff as D-Line coach

BRAWNDO

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what his position will be, as well as responsibilities and assignments.

Wow!

silly question. the thread is still young.

Why "wow?" You never have struck me as just a wow type of responder, you have good insights and knowledge/viewpoints. C'mon, give us more.

Schwartz ≥ Pettine

Johnson > O'Neil

jim Hostler > Ike Hillard.

Hmmm . . . Maybe the sky is not falling?

Respect the falling sky! Marrone and his cronies... same old Bills.

LOL - I was looking at Houston's staff on wikipedia the other day because I wanted to see if PJ was on it... I had heard he probably was leaving NE because he was PO'd he hadn't been promoted after all that time and to join his buddies Romeo, Vrabel, O'Brien, etc in Houston. He was actually listed as Houston's ILB Coach and I thought it was strange because I never heard it announced.

Edited by YoloinOhio

what he said.

This is strange. A position coach leaves New England in search of, in his words, a better opportunity. Then he signs on with Buffalo? Am I tripping on acid?

I'm waiting for the Schefter tweets before Iet myself believe it. Time to win this division. He knows how.

Retweeted by Matt Warren

d4806aa809a189d28a9a9ff1da870e03_bigger.jpegPete Roussel@coachingsearch 14m

Per source, former #Patriots assistant Pepper Johnson will join the Buffalo Bills staff.

I love how bandit27 was claiming in the shoutbox a week or two ago that his "sources" said that he was going to the texans and I quote something along the lines it's a done deal, it's just not official yet.

BTW, surprising and an excellent hire by the Bills front office. I'm impressed with this one.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

what he said.

This is strange. A position coach leaves New England in search of, in his words, a better opportunity. Then he signs on with Buffalo? Am I tripping on acid?

OK, but maybe some people are in the line that I am with their thoughts. He wanted to move on from NE who is just evil to their staff. In so many years there has been no successful assistants to come from NE and teams were taking passes on Johnson because of past events.

I do not know if this is a Wow hire for the bad or the good. It's just a hire at this point, at least in my opinion

Wow!

I live in the New England area, about a 30 minute drive from Foxboro. I've always been very impressed with Pepper both as a coach, and as a person. (I have several connections to the Patriot's staff, and have heard nothing but great things about him and that way he approaches the game.) Pepper was passed over for the DC position in NE by Matty Patricia, and it was a very narrow decision.

I said "wow!", because I hadn't heard anything at all about his talks with our organization, and was stunned, in a good way, by this move. The level of accountability he will bring to the position group he coaches will surprise you.

I live in the New England area, about a 30 minute drive from Foxboro. I've always been very impressed with Pepper both as a coach, and as a person. (I have several connections to the Patriot's staff, and have heard nothing but great things about him and that way he approaches the game.) Pepper was passed over for the DC position in NE by Matty Patricia, and it was a very narrow decision.

I said "wow!", because I hadn't heard anything at all about his talks with our organization, and was stunned, in a good way, by this move. The level of accountability he will bring to the position group he coaches will surprise you.

thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

Smart hire. 13 years each of playing and coaching experience; comes with an already in depth knowledge of the division.I'm as surprised by this hire as I am with the Schwartz hire.

But they are both from the "Belichick tree" and Johnson was a Browns player when BB was the HC and Schwartz was breaking into the league

In thinking about it, I'm excited, but also skeptical. Our D line- if it's dominant again- is clearly the best chance he has to parlay a one year stint into a DC job somewhere else. Let's hope he's here a while and we thrive.

All of this time in NE and rising no further then he has draws my skepticism on that. Teams know who is who and who can do what. If he was all that special he'd have got out of there on the first bus out like so many other coordinators did a few years back.

So is Brandon Spikes on the way too?

Brandon had some not so nice things to tweet about buffalo back in September.

@BrandonSpikes55: @nhgator13: @BrandonSpikes55

Buffalo is the plumbers butt of America. I gonna follow u now !!! Lmaoooo dying over here

@BrandonSpikes55: @1CrazyPATSfan: You must be in wack ass Buffalo....RT @BrandonSpikes55: This place looks boring ass F**k !!! Smh Indeed

Edited by FluffHead

Brandon had some not so nice things to tweet about buffalo.

Buffalo is the plumbers butt of America. I gonna follow u now !!! Lmaoooo dying over here

@BrandonSpikes55: "@1CrazyPATSfan: You must be in wack ass Buffalo....RT @BrandonSpikes55: This place looks boring ass F**k !!! Smh" Indeed

So what, means nothing. People dont sign in Buffalo for the night life. Its football and money that matter. opinions can change. Pepper Johnson means a lot to him.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Brandon had some not so nice things to tweet about buffalo.

@BrandonSpikes55: "@1CrazyPATSfan: You must be in wack ass Buffalo....RT @BrandonSpikes55: This place looks boring ass F**k !!! Smh" Indeed

yeah plus the eye gouge

brandon-spikes-eye-gouge-o.gif

So what, means nothing. People dont sign in Buffalo for the night life. Its football and money that matter. opinions can change. Pepper Johnson means a lot to him.

I'm aware. Just saying it would be interesting. Id welcome him here because he is a badass with some attitude that we need

In thinking about it, I'm excited, but also skeptical. Our D line- if it's dominant again- is clearly the best chance he has to parlay a one year stint into a DC job somewhere else. Let's hope he's here a while and we thrive.

....or, one could look at it that Schwartz doing well could see him leave in a year or two for another HC position & we would then have a potentially good DC in PJ to promote.

Anyone heard of the saying ..." A prophet is not honored in his own country"... I think PJ wants to branch out on his own, away from Belichek and all his cronies, to prove his worth!... If he proves he's worthy, and it parlays him into a promotion, then that means the Bills will be successful!... The more experience the Bills get on board this staff, the better. I like what the FO is doing...cudos to Whaley!

Edited by Speedy G

Hopefully this means good things. Still a little concerned that he didn't climb the ladder very far in NE, but NE's track record at the positions he's coached has been strong.

I believe it's been reported he was close to the DC job a time or two. Considering the bills didn't hire him for the DC job, I'm not too worried about that. I don't think he'd stick around so long under belichick if he wasn't a very solid coach. Maybe he's not as good at the X's and O's, but is strong at fundamentals and getting guys to win their 1 on 1 match ups. That's what the bills need more than anything from pepper.

My buddy is a big pats fan. He was complaining about pepper leaving when it first happened. He understands why he left, but is concerned about pepper and other coaches leaving. He sent me a text 5 minutes after I saw the announcement on here. He's not thrilled.