Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I'd like to point out that position coaches are often put in place to relay the message from the HC & OC. Downing will be working directly with EJ; it will be Hackett's technique teaching that EJ will be getting

If only we knew if that was good!

And I'd say none of its quite that cut and dry, but your point isn't wrong either.

Again I'd like to point out that position coaches are often put in place to relay the message from the HC & OC. Downing will be working directly with EJ; it will be Hackett's technique teaching that EJ will be getting

Also I read last night that Downing coached EJ in the Senior Bowl last year (he was MVP of the that game). And as previously mentioned, worked with Thad in Detroit. I'm happy! Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't see a big problem with this. The guy has a resume, and plenty of failed HC's flourish when they go back to their more comfortable coordinator roles.

As far as his enthusiasm and lack of discipline, I think that is a perfect counter to Marrone who I believe is more rigid and structured and remember Marrone was the first coach to punish Dareus for slacking and not showing up to team meetings....

He will do well - interesting to see what defensive players the Bills will target in the draft - DC's always try to put their mark on a team pretty quickly. For Pettine it was taking a chance with Kiko, we should be able to get an idea of what position Schwartz feels needs upgrading pretty quickly.

This again? I can't think of a single down that Hughes was vertical presnap.

Im 100% convinced most of you didnt watch any bills football and just watch highlights. I could list a ton but ill give you an example that you would have seen on the high lights. The long td pass against the saints where hughes gave chase

Edited by kr632

Didn't read full article. Winced at his fumble disagreement with Bellicheat: the guy whose team is consistently in the top 5-10 for FF's...

Im 100% convinced most of you didnt watch any bills football and just watch highlights. I could list a ton but ill give you an example that you would have seen on the high lights. The long td pass against the saints where hughes gave chase

I haven't missed a down in a decade, smarty pants.

And you're 100% sure he didn't come out of his stance to defend on that play? Can you name another? Particularly one after that?

I think having a label on the "base" defense doesn't mean a lot when down and distance a lot of times dictates the set. I will give Marrone and company credit for getting a coach who's strength has been this team's glaring weakness. Here's hoping they bring in a few key players (run stuffing ILB and maybe another beast D lineman) via free agency or the draft and shore up this defense. I am worried about the O though...

Gonna be an interesting off season.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

And you're 100% sure he didn't come out of his stance to defend on that play? Can you name another? Particularly one after that?

Yes, he started in an up position on that play and many others.

Here's even some video evidence... http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Buffalo-Bills-linebacker-Jerry-Hughes-sacks-Matt-Cassel/704cae69-9d4f-44da-a584-f5988bf25579

Didn't read full article. Winced at his fumble disagreement with Bellicheat: the guy whose team is consistently in the top 5-10 for FF's...

I haven't missed a down in a decade, smarty pants.

Watch any of the last couple games we came out in a straight up 3-4 a lot. The mario williams strip sack Hughes was also standing up as a LB... come on man pay attention

Edited by kr632

I don't see a big problem with this. The guy has a resume, and plenty of failed HC's flourish when they go back to their more comfortable coordinator roles.

As far as his enthusiasm and lack of discipline, I think that is a perfect counter to Marrone who I believe is more rigid and structured and remember Marrone was the first coach to punish Dareus for slacking and not showing up to team meetings....

He will do well - interesting to see what defensive players the Bills will target in the draft - DC's always try to put their mark on a team pretty quickly. For Pettine it was taking a chance with Kiko, we should be able to get an idea of what position Schwartz feels needs upgrading pretty quickly.

I just woke up here on the West Coast, turned on my computer to NFL.com and saw this story. My first reaction was that my heart sank. I saw a lot of dirty football coming out of Detroit under his tenure. Of course, this is only as a casual observer of the Lions. As bad as we've been over that past decade, I've always appreciated out team's class. Gailey benched SJ over an end zone celebration. Schwartz allowed some truly reprehensible play on the field. Edited by Rocky Landing

I live in Nashville. Titans defense underperformed while here with the same talent that Greggo had. This guy is toxic. Players hated him. Just watch when the D sucks and the fans complain. Definite downgrade. Crap...

Our "3-4" defense this past year was about 90% 4-3

This is true. The lines between the 34 and the 43 are not what they used to be. When you're in nickel you're in a 4 man front and that happens almost all the time with the way teams throw.

I don't know what anyone would have to complain about regarding this move. I think Doug Marrone has made another really smart choice. Schwartz is aggressive and his defense in Tennessee was really, really good and consistent. I'm also certain that Schwartz will look at every snap of this defense last year and keep some things that the guys did really well when it comes to pressuring the QB. In the end, Marrone has a lot to do with it. Chan Gailey could have gotten off his offensive headset and told Wannstedt to start dialing up some pressure but he clearly didn't. If the HC want's pressure, he'll get it.

So hopefully we can get better against the run, which to me really just entails keeping the long ones from getting out of the gate, and then we'll have a really, really formidable D.

I guess that's a long way of saying I really like the hire.

I just woke up here on the West Coast, turned on my computer to NFL.com and saw this story. My first reaction was that my heart sank. I saw a lot of dirty football coming out of Detroit under his tenure. Of course, this is only as a casual observer of the Lions. As bad as we've been over that past decade, I've always appreciated out team's class. Gailey benched SJ over an end zone celebration. Schwartz allowed some truly reprehensible play on the field.

So...just to clarify...it's ok if we lose, as long as it is with class, but if we have our first winning season that comes with a few Sherman / Schwartz moments, you will be disappointed?