NFL.com Mock Matt Smith

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont tell me that some negative opinions have been tossed out there without researching ( watching ) these players !

Oh deario .

Ebron is good enough to be discussed as a pick at nine. So is Robinson.

Yes it isn't the most efficient use of the pick. But both have very strong value , immediate impact and are potential BPA and postion of need .

As much as I want that Run defense strong 3 down LB with Kiko Lawson and Hughes M Willams , and boy i do !

The weakast link is the O line for me. They just did not cut it and hurt the team on many levels.

I will be nice and say as a whole they were " limited " .

Bills need to prioritize that. No matter how they acquire them or WHEN the get picked .

Bills please solve that problem. Much of the game will fall into place with those key pieces .

I have said i will be happy with almost all of those on the list .

I'm another strong supporter of gaining a pick or two again .

Edited by 3rdand12

dont tell me that some negative opinions have been tossed out there without researching ( watching ) these players !

Oh deario .

Ebron is good enough to be discussed as a pick at nine. So is Robinson.

Yes it isn't the most efficient use of the pick. But both have very strong value , immediate impact and are potential BPA and postion of need .

As much as I want that Run defense strong 3 down LB with Kiko Lawson and Hughes M Willams , and boy i do !

The weakast link is the O line for me. They just did not cut it and hurt the team on many levels.

I will be nice and say as a whole they were " limited " .

Bills need to prioritize that. No matter how they acquire them or WHEN the get picked .

Bills please solve that problem. Much of the game will fall into place with those key pieces .

I have said i will be happy with almost all of those on the list .

I'm another strong supporter of gaining a pick or two again .

This

CollegeFootball 24/7@NFL_CFB34m

.@CFD22 talks Jimmy Garoppolo's rising draft stock, and why #NotreDame's Zack Martin could be draft's best OT. http://on.nfl.com/LCU4K6

Edited by YoloinOhio

If you look around the league at some of the best tight ends over the last 30 yearsand current es lie Gronk (rd. 2), Gates, Jimmy Graham (3rd) , Jason Witten (3rd) , Julius Thomas (4Th) theres a vast majority that were not 1st round picks much less top 10's.es, Tony Gonzales was picked by the Chiefs in the first round at 13 but he never won a super bowl. Vernon Davis was another first roundera who hs not won a SB. Do you really want to spend a top 10 pick on a situational receiver who MIGHT be able to block or would you rather get the best impact linebacker (Mack?), a homerun wr or an offensive tackle you can plug in for the next 10 years? I just don't get the draft a TE in the top 10 crowd. .I think the Bills can do better at number 9.

If you look around the league at some of the best tight ends over the last 30 yearsand current es lie Gronk (rd. 2), Gates, Jimmy Graham (3rd) , Jason Witten (3rd) , Julius Thomas (4Th) theres a vast majority that were not 1st round picks much less top 10's.es, Tony Gonzales was picked by the Chiefs in the first round at 13 but he never won a super bowl. Vernon Davis was another first roundera who hs not won a SB. Do you really want to spend a top 10 pick on a situational receiver who MIGHT be able to block or would you rather get the best impact linebacker (Mack?), a homerun wr or an offensive tackle you can plug in for the next 10 years? I just don't get the draft a TE in the top 10 crowd. .I think the Bills can do better at number 9.

Please consider that the college game affects the pro game and vice versa in it's way. well you probably know that but reconsider it here.

The tight ends are not what they were even ten years ago.

These position players are being used as mismatches more than a balanced skill set. The speed and athletics .

The game has changed enough that the TE is approaching the value if not exceeded in some cases , the WR postion in impact .

A talented pass catching TE should be a high priority, but I am not totally sold on Ebron at this point, especially not at #9.

I tend to think a great WR prospect like Sammy Watkins or even Marquise Lee would help as much or more.

Still, I'd be very intrigued by the top OT candidates...

LB would be high on my list, but I don't know if there is really a great one worth picking that high. For those calling CJ Mosley a "thumper" run defender, he is listed as being smaller than Kiko...

Bills need another truly solid draft and EJ to develop. Again I would trade down and take Ebron if possible or stay put and take an OT. I would not take a first round WR. This team needs to address the OL, TE, and LB before WR early in the draft.

Of course all of this depends on what they do in free agency....

From the highlight reel anyway, Ebron looks like just what the doctor ordered. I did see him drop a pass in his bowl game though. How much would it help EJ to have a big target that can catch footballs in a crowd and go way up in the air to catch them? I don't know how much he blocked at UNC. From what I saw he looked more like a big WR kindof like how Jason Witten and Graham and Tony Gonzalez are used. We could play him that way too. Leave Lee or somebody in to block and spread Ebron out.

Edited by reddogblitz

A talented pass catching TE should be a high priority, but I am not totally sold on Ebron at this point, especially not at #9.

I tend to think a great WR prospect like Sammy Watkins or even Marquise Lee would help as much or more.

Still, I'd be very intrigued by the top OT candidates...

LB would be high on my list, but I don't know if there is really a great one worth picking that high. For those calling CJ Mosley a "thumper" run defender, he is listed as being smaller than Kiko...

I agree with your concern regarding Mosley. I love his instincts. He's certainly able to stop the run and defend against the pass but he is listed at 232 lbs which is smallish for an inside LB. He hits hard but has suffered a dislocated elbow and dislocated hip while at Bama and lost playing time. I think his smallish size could have factored into those injuries. Can he gain weight and retain his athletic ability? How will he hold up playing against bigger and better players. These questions make him a questionable top 10 pick in my mind.

Yeah! Future HOFer and another star TE have never "won a SB"--busts!!

Yet look at all of those top ten drafted Tackles who have won a SB. Why there's........hmmmmm

Ok, how about all of those top 10 drafted tackles who have played in a SB......hmmm.

How many top 10 drafted tackles over the past 10 years have even played in a playoff game?

Anyway, the Bills O-line isn;t nearly as awful as many here are playing it as. PFF has it ranked just in the top 15---ahead of NE and only 2 spots behind SD. They are 11th in pass blocking and only 25th in run blocking (yet we had a top 5 running game).

Given the high production of our running game, the perception of a poor o-line likely comes from the beating the QBs took. This is mainly because they held the ball too long looking for receivers. Per PFF, the Bills pass blocking was far better than the patriots, yet many here say Brady gets "all the time in the world to throw". that doesn;t seem to be the reason. Our QB's don't know the offense well.

Yeah! Future HOFer and another star TE have never "won a SB"--busts!!

Yet look at all of those top ten drafted Tackles who have won a SB. Why there's........hmmmmm

Ok, how about all of those top 10 drafted tackles who have played in a SB......hmmm.

How many top 10 drafted tackles over the past 10 years have even played in a playoff game?

Anyway, the Bills O-line isn;t nearly as awful as many here are playing it as. PFF has it ranked just in the top 15---ahead of NE and only 2 spots behind SD. They are 11th in pass blocking and only 25th in run blocking (yet we had a top 5 running game).

Given the high production of our running game, the perception of a poor o-line likely comes from the beating the QBs took. This is mainly because they held the ball too long looking for receivers. Per PFF, the Bills pass blocking was far better than the patriots, yet many here say Brady gets "all the time in the world to throw". that doesn;t seem to be the reason. Our QB's don't know the offense well.

This is one of the least informative posts I've seen. Instead of Humms, how about some answers. Did you even research those questions?

So, you're ready to settle for mediocrity? Is 11th in pass blocking, 25th in run blocking good enough for you?

Regarding being better than the Patriots; the Patriots had a lot of difficulty at the center position this year (Ryan Wendell). Witness the beating he took facing Terrance Knighton. Want to bet Belichick has drafting a center high on his priority list. Yet you don't think replacing our poor performing RT and LG with players that will give us one of the top O-lines is important? You think drafting a TE when Buffalo already has a good one is the way to go?

I agree with your concern regarding Mosley. I love his instincts. He's certainly able to stop the run and defend against the pass but he is listed at 232 lbs which is smallish for an inside LB. He hits hard but has suffered a dislocated elbow and dislocated hip while at Bama and lost playing time. I think his smallish size could have factored into those injuries. Can he gain weight and retain his athletic ability? How will he hold up playing against bigger and better players. These questions make him a questionable top 10 pick in my mind.

Also, I'm very skeptical of Alabama rbs and lbs. They play behind great lines so it makes their jobs a lot easier. I love Alabama linemen but you should be careful of the rbs and lbs. Not all are the same, but it's something to be careful of.

This is one of the least informative posts I've seen. Instead of Humms, how about some answers. Did you even research those questions?

So, you're ready to settle for mediocrity? Is 11th in pass blocking, 25th in run blocking good enough for you?

Regarding being better than the Patriots; the Patriots had a lot of difficulty at the center position this year (Ryan Wendell). Witness the beating he took facing Terrance Knighton. Want to bet Belichick has drafting a center high on his priority list. Yet you don't think replacing our poor performing RT and LG with players that will give us one of the top O-lines is important? You think drafting a TE when Buffalo already has a good one is the way to go?

There are several ways to skin a cat (what an awful saying by the way). Denver lost maybe the best LT and their C and haven't messed a beat. Seattle's oline has been far from dominant. In high school, small school used the spread to neutralize the importance of having a big oline. When you spread the field with receivers, it's much harder to get pressure because you have to cover receivers. That's the type of league the NFL is now. With the spread and a lot of quick throws, the days of dominanting olines is sort of in the past. You want athletic tackles, smart centers, and versatile Gs. Sinking a ton of money into an oline is mismanaging the cap.

Is Pears great? No but he certainly is servicable and is definitely not a position I feel we need to upgrade with a top 10 pick, especially a RT.

Also, I'm very skeptical of Alabama rbs and lbs. They play behind great lines so it makes their jobs a lot easier.

So.. put 'em behind a great line?

Eddie Lacy looked dynamite this year. I don't think you can paint with a broad brush. No more than you could say Kyle Boller was indicative of Aaron Rodgers' future success.