NFL.com Mock Matt Smith

Agreed this team isn't good enough to use a top 10 pick on a right tackle.

Disagree. One of the main reasons the team is not good enough is because we don't have a quality RT. Fix the O-line and all of those "secondary players" like TEs and WRs that we have will look a lot better. Trying to fix the O-line with late round picks and free agents will result in the delayed development of E.J. and the same 6-10 record that we had this year. Get Greg Robinson in the first and a second rd. LG. Establish a compelling run game.

This draft is loaded with WRs. Ebron is not the only one like him in this draft. Good receivers will be there in the third and beyond. One of the main reasons why QBs develop is that they have time to throw and receivers have time to run their routes. Reduce that safe time in the pocket and QBs will run and receivers will be frustrated. It's that simple.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about Ebron at 9 guys. Is Ebron that much better than Amaro and/or ASJ? I dunno. I mean I like him, but I'm not sure I like him that much. In other words, I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with any of the top 3 TE's. We can technically trade down and still land 1 of the top 3 TE's.

Also, other than Vernon Davis, has a TE ever been drafted in the top 10? Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Kellen Winslow II

I'm not sure about Ebron at 9 guys. Is Ebron that much better than Amaro and/or ASJ? I dunno. I mean I like him, but I'm not sure I like him that much. In other words, I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with any of the top 3 TE's. We can technically trade down and still land 1 of the top 3 TE's.

Also, other than Vernon Davis, has a TE ever been drafted in the top 10? Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Not sure, but I think that is because until recently that role has not been utilized the way it is now in the NFL.

From what I have read about these three, there are some rather significant off the field issues with Amaro and ASJ. Not that a team won't be wlling to take a chance, but the 2st rd might not be where that chance is taken. We shall see what shakes out from the psychological testing and background checks on those two.

Not sure, but I think that is because until recently that role has not been utilized the way it is now in the NFL.

From what I have read about these three, there are some rather significant off the field issues with Amaro and ASJ. Not that a team won't be wlling to take a chance, but the 2st rd might not be where that chance is taken. We shall see what shakes out from the psychological testing and background checks on those two.

Yeah, I dunno. I know ASJ had a DUI which is obviously bad but I personally look past isolated incidents like that. it would be different if the guy kept screwing up off the field.

I agree with the way the TE position is utilized nowadays in the NFL, causing TE's to be drafted higher. However, I'm not sure how much value Hackett's system puts into TE's.

Perfect. Take Amaro in the second. Also, there is that crazy guy from Oregon that could be taken in a late round or UDFA.

Did you realize that in 8 of the last 9 years the Bills have been between 8-12 in draft position ??!! --- that is amazing mediocrity, consistently bad, but not real bad -- depressing, but amazing --- and through it all we promote Russ Brandon ---- sorry, wrong thread, but it is so frustrating as a fan to watch how poorly this team has performed and how all of us get so wrapped up into the potential that awaits us in the draft, FA etc -- only to sit here year after year drafting between 8-12 ---- it's a slow painful existence as a fan ---- sorry --- we can now return to our regularly schedule thread ---- I'm not sold on Robinson, he only played at that level for a year --- but he was awesome last year -- my preference at 9 is Ebron, Mosley, Barr or a trade down ---- unless by a miracle Matthews falls --

I need to see how Ebron weighs in and works out at the combine before I'm comfortable with him at 9. What I've seen from game play is that he's athletic and has excellent hands; what I want to see is if he's really 6'3" and 245 lbs or if his measurables are fudged--and if he does measure up, I want to see the same athleticism & explosion in person at that weight.

If I see that, I'll get more comfortable with him at 9...otherwise I'm in the Mosley camp, since this team needs a thumper-style LB badly and they're in short supply in both the draft and FA.

How is the role of the TE different now than in the past? If you think it is, go back and watch film of the Baltimore Colts Hall Of Fame TE John Mackey.

The criticism I've heard of Ebron involves his reliance on his athleticism too much. He doesn't attend to details of the game. Also, if you watched him in the bowl game, he used a lot of energy trying to leap over tacklers to show his stuff to the world. As a result, he was injured. This guys looks immature.

How is the role of the TE different now than in the past? If you think it is, go back and watch film of the Baltimore Colts Hall Of Fame TE John Mackey.

The criticism I've heard of Ebron involves his reliance on his athleticism too much. He doesn't attend to details of the game. Also, if you watched him in the bowl game, he used a lot of energy trying to leap over tacklers to show his stuff to the world. As a result, he was injured. This guys looks immature.

I didn't see his bowl game. Haven't heard anything about immaturity, although some of the things you mention are fairly typical of college WRS and TEs who overmatch their opponent. What I mean about the TE position is that many teams are now seeing what matchup problem the TE/WR hybrid is like Jimmy Graham and Gronk and trying to find a guy like this (vs a Chandler-type). From what I understand, he is of that mold.

I agree with the way the TE position is utilized nowadays in the NFL, causing TE's to be drafted higher. However, I'm not sure how much value Hackett's system puts into TE's.

Chandler led the team in receptions, so I would guess Hackett would use an athletic, big TE pretty well if he had one.

John Mackey had the build of a RB in today's NFL, that's the difference. Gronkowski, Graham, Davis, Cameron, Gates etc. are all taller, bigger, and yet just as fast. They're a complete matchup nightmare.

In 2011, 5 of the 15 players in the NFL with the most receptions were TE's. That never happened before in the history of the NFL. In 2012, that figure was 3 TE's, and this year that figure was back down to only 1. However, a large part of the decline has been a result of Gronkowski being constantly injured, Hernandez getting arrested and Tony Gonzalez aging.

Mackey was ahead of the curve in his day, but the evolution of the TE position in the passing game is certainly becoming more prominent in the NFL.

This year there are a very good crop of TE's coming out of college and rest assured that they will be playing an important role in offenses around the league.

Chandler led the team in receptions, so I would guess Hackett would use an athletic, big TE pretty well if he had one.

I dunno. Reason I brought it up was b/c I don't remember Hackett using a TE much at all at Syracuse. Chandler led our team with receptions but our WR corps blew chunks this season.

Agreed this team isn't good enough to use a top 10 pick on a right tackle.

Any team that uses a top 10 pick on a RT, one of the least important positions on the field when you are able to get a difference maker at that pick should fire their entire GM and scouting staff immediately...

No RT in the history if the NFL was a difference maker, and top 10 picks should be difference makers

Any team that uses a top 10 pick on a RT, one of the least important positions on the field when you are able to get a difference maker at that pick should fire their entire GM and scouting staff immediately...

No RT in the history if the NFL was a difference maker, and top 10 picks should be difference makers

kinda agree with this to a certain extent. I'd go with a CB before I went with a RT.

Edited by bobobonators