• Mosley
    • Clinton-Dix
    • Ebron
    • Evans

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Robinson but could just as easily have gone with Watkins or Mosley. I hesitate with Watkins because I don't know how well he fits what our offense is trying to do. There was a link in another thread that showed he catches more than half his passes behind the LOS on screen passes. I realize he's capable of running routes, but seeing as how we don't run a lot of WR screens I think he may be a poor fit for our offense seeing as how we rarely do that which he does best. Of course, I suppose it's also possible that we don't run a lot of WR screens b/c we don't have a Watkins type player, but I doubt it.

That is correct. If you want the downfield guy, Evans is it. Evans has caught the highest percentage of > 20 yard passes when you compare the top 15 WRs in the 2014 draft. 57% of Watkins' receptions came as screens, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a team that has 2 burners going deep and 2 very good RBs keeping the defense honest.

Our screen game has been abysmal; Pears and Glenn are ranked 38th by PFF in screen blocking, Legursky-Urbik rank 38th-74th, Wood is 32nd among OC's.

That is correct. If you want the downfield guy, Evans is it. Evans has caught the highest percentage of > 20 yard passes when you compare the top 15 WRs in the 2014 draft. 57% of Watkins' receptions came as screens, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a team that has 2 burners going deep and 2 very good RBs keeping the defense honest.

Our screen game has been abysmal; Pears and Glenn are ranked 38th by PFF in screen blocking, Legursky-Urbik rank 38th-74th, Wood is 32nd among OC's.

So here's a good question - would a better RT improve our screen game more than a skill player? I'm curious. It'd be hard to quantify.

I think I'd be happy with Watkins but no question would I love to see improvement on our O-line. Guard is a must in there somewhere.

The amount of people in this thread passing on Watkins simply because he is 6'1 is sad. Do some research. The dude days bigger than his body.

He highpoints the ball very well and will likely show elite leaping ability when testing comes along. He has both short area quickness and deep speed. He's going to be a star.

IMO, he's too talented to pass up, especially as a player that can pick up big chunks of yards and TDs.

However, I could understand why someone would think to pass on him since the Bills have recently drafted Woods, Goodwin, and Graham.

I do agree that it's foolish to simply discount his ability based on his height. He seems to be far and away the most explosive offensive player in the draft (I don't really consider QBs "explosive," but that's another conversation), and having him on the field will open up opportunities for everyone else as well.

I don't think he'll be on the board at #9, and like Kirby said, I'd be tempted to sprint to the podium. The only reason I'd wait is to see if another team makes the Bills an offer that they can't refuse. As seemingly deep as this draft is in positions the Bills "need," they could stand to do well by picking up another pick or two.

Edited by uncle flap

Where's the LB love? I'd consider Mack or Barr if they're there, gotta be able to stop the run. Ideally if we could trade down to get Ebron in the middle of the round, then two picks in the second getting an OT and big WR (maybe Benjamin slides down?) Think we can wait til the 3rd for a LB, if Shayne Skov or Chris Borland are still available, but who knows...

If Watkins is there at nine, I would take him in a heartbeat. At that spot, I think he's the best choice.

Of course, I would love to see the bills trade back to mid-first round and take a TE. That would help with the O-line, and give EJ a nice, big target over the middle who can speed up the field. Chandler is alright, but we could use an upgrade.

You sure don't.

Says who?

You think the Chargers are upset for taking Fluker last year? It's a passing league and more OGs and RTs are being taken higher than before. Protecting the QB is top priority because the rules dictate that even the scrubbiest of QBs can pick teams apart if given time in the pocket.

Um Watkins and I would sprint to the podium.

I am surprised by the large % who want Watkins. Almost 60% of his catches this year were screen passes. I like his speed and YAC ability, but we don't even throw screens to the fast guy from Clemson we already have...

Says who?

You think the Chargers are upset for taking Fluker last year? It's a passing league and more OGs and RTs are being taken higher than before. Protecting the QB is top priority because the rules dictate that even the scrubbiest of QBs can pick teams apart if given time in the pocket.

It was their best pick by far, according to the GM , including Keenan Allen. He has some work to do in pass protection still, but his run blocking allowed their offense to not rely only on Rivers and therefore opening things up.

Where's the LB love? I'd consider Mack or Barr if they're there, gotta be able to stop the run. Ideally if we could trade down to get Ebron in the middle of the round, then two picks in the second getting an OT and big WR (maybe Benjamin slides down?) Think we can wait til the 3rd for a LB, if Shayne Skov or Chris Borland are still available, but who knows...

To be fair, he's new to the position and maybe his problems will be corrected with experience, but Barr has been a liability against the run. He's a talented athlete and a highlight reel guy who destroys slow OTs with his speed rush, but he gets fooled a lot both against the run and on play action, he takes bad angles, and often takes himself out of the play. I suspect he'll notch respectable sack #s in the NFL, but his team will pay for those sacks with big runs allowed.

Edit: I changed my mind (though not my vote). I want Mosley so when he lines up next to Kiko our LBs will be: Alonso Mosley.

Edited by Rob's House

I am surprised by the large % who want Watkins. Almost 60% of his catches this year were screen passes. I like his speed and YAC ability, but we don't even throw screens to the fast guy from Clemson we already have...

It was their best pick by far, according to the GM , including Keenan Allen. He has some work to do in pass protection still, but his run blocking allowed their offense to not rely only on Rivers and therefore opening things up.

Watkins to me is a Percy Harvin that can catch the ball in traffic. He has been consistently productive and explosive for multiple seasons. I think that he is far & away the best skill player in the draft. He can score from anywhere on the field and is really polished compared to someone like Evans or Benjamin. When you pick in the top 10 you take difference makers. I would only select QB, WR, pass rusher, franchise LT (maybe) or an impact defensive player in the top 10. Those are the guys that can turn a franchise around. You can find productive guards, RTs, corners, etc...throughout the draft. You cannot find guys that run sub 4.3 with tons of production after the 1st 10 picks. A guy that scores 10 TDs is much harder to find than a good RT. If the Bills are not taking a QB it's Watkins or Mack or trade down if they are gone.

EDIT: I would be absolutely shocked if Watkins is on the board at 9.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So here's a good question - would a better RT improve our screen game more than a skill player? I'm curious. It'd be hard to quantify.

I think I'd be happy with Watkins but no question would I love to see improvement on our O-line. Guard is a must in there somewhere.

Great question. The Bills are one of the worst teams in screen blocking.

Dean Kindig@TCBILLS_Astro

13m

Watkins' strength=screens, #Bills OTs both rank 38th in screen blocks per PFF, OGs 38th-74th, and Wood 32nd OC. #BillsMafia #DraftTek

For OT's that will be Guards or RT's in the NFL, it's Matthews or Which OGs in the draft have the best screen blocking? Gabe Jackson isn't that fast when he pulls. La'El Collins isn't coming out, so your best bet is Cyril Richardson (who might also compete well at RT) then David Yankey, who we rank very high and others see him as #4 or #5 OG. Best all-round guy might be Zack Martin, who'd be there at RD2 and not at RD3.

To be fair, he's new to the position and maybe his problems will be corrected with experience, but Barr has been a liability against the run. He's a talented athlete and a highlight reel guy who destroys slow OTs with his speed rush, but he gets fooled a lot both against the run and on play action, he takes bad angles, and often takes himself out of the play. I suspect he'll notch respectable sack #s in the NFL, but his team will pay for those sacks with big runs allowed.

I think Hughes had the same problem at times. Best edge-sealing guy at DE might be Trent Murphy and at OLB may be Mosley.

Watkins to me is a Percy Harvin that can catch the ball in traffic. He has been consistently productive and explosive for multiple seasons. I think that he is far & away the best skill player in the draft. He can score from anywhere on the field and is really polished compared to someone like Evans or Benjamin. When you pick in the top 10 you take difference makers. I would only select QB, WR, pass rusher, franchise LT (maybe) or an impact defensive player in the top 10. Those are the guys that can turn a franchise around. You can find productive guards, RTs, corners, etc...throughout the draft. You cannot find guys that run sub 4.3 with tons of production after the 1st 10 picks. A guy that scores 10 TDs is much harder to find than a good RT. If the Bills are not taking a QB it's Watkins or Mack or trade down if they are gone.

I agree, and they are not taking a QB. So if Watkins is gone, is nine to high for Ebron?

I agree, and they are not taking a QB. So if Watkins is gone, is nine to high for Ebron?

That's a bit of a wildcard for me. I go back and forth if it is or isn't. Not to chicken out on the question but I would say that it is too high for a Tyler Eiffert type but not a Vernon Davis type. If his athleticism makes him a problem for opponents than the answer is no. If he is a productive big target that can't stretch the middle of the field than the answer is yes.

I wouldn't be upset with Ebron at 9 I don't think (even though it kind of goes against my original post). I never have a problem with a difference maker.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

First choice would be trade back for an additional second, but failing that, Robinson for me, big improvement to the line from day 1 and fills a significant need.

Target a tall WR or receiving TE, mauler at G, and a run stuffing LB rest of draft.

Trade back please. as mentioned even its just a couple spots we still get a player.

I picked Robinson. But i would like to see him fall and as i said trade down

Also i was tempted to pick Ebron . But i cant pick him at 9 .

simpler put , for me .. Not Dennard and not Mosely not at 9 . Although all these players look to be the real deal .

Lets hope NFL has a run on QBs just before the number nine pick

This list gets me so excited for the draft! No way the Bills can pick a clunker. OL (Greg Robinson) or WR (Sammy Watkins) are my picks, in that order. Sammy Watkins is only listed as 6' 1" and 205 lbs. If he was a little bigger I would be more prone to pick him.

Yes i am unusually stoked by the quality of players avaiable , and that Bills dont HAVE to draft a QB early this year.

next year?

Watkins is a player i would be delighted to have replace Graham . I think he will step into to the NFL easily and quickly.

Watkins or Robinson

Why would you want a CB at 9 when they already have McKelvin, Gilmore, and Robey as top three corners?

I'm sure they will take a CB early in this draft but not at 9 with so many other holes to fill

I would be a little annoyed with a corner this soon

agreed about guard . Gotta get one or two , even.

More so if we pass on the big RT !