1. 1. Round 1

• Watkins
    • Dennard
    • Robinson
    • Mosley
    • Clinton-Dix
    • Ebron
    • Evans

They need to add to the repertoire of what the offense can do. It's about being able to counter what the defense is trying to take away.

I am not advocating taking Benjamin with the 9th pick (and I don't see that anyone else did in this thread).

More people that prefer Evans to Watkins. I get your point though. What I am trying to say is that if you have someone with the elite skills of Watkins it effects the defense in a variety of ways. They can try to take away the quick slants but if they are worried about the middle of the field who is helping on Goodwin over the top?

The point is that it is tough to defend an elite skill player. I think that Benjamin could develop into a nasty red zone target (not an Evans fan) but I don't think that his production will be greater than that of Watkins. IMO, you should always take the best player and use skills that you lack as a tiebreaker. Again, it really doesn't matter because Watkins almost definitely will be gone.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More people that prefer Evans to Watkins. I get your point though. What I am trying to say is that if you have someone with the elite skills of Watkins it effects the defense in a variety of ways. They can try to take away the quick slants but if they are worried about the middle of the field who is helping on Goodwin over the top?

The point is that it is tough to defend an elite skill player. I think that Benjamin could develop into a nasty red zone target (not an Evans fan) but I don't think that his production will be greater than that of Watkins. IMO, you should always take the best player and use skills that you lack as a tiebreaker. Again, it really doesn't matter because Watkins almost definitely will be gone.

I don't think much of Evans either.

I'm a bit torn, because there doesn't seem to be a great fit for them at 9.

I agree with you. I don't think that Mack or Watkins will be there and I am not too enthused about the next guys at those positions. Ebron is interesting but I'd like him at 15 a lot more than 9. A RT or G at 9 doesn't make much sense to me either. Depending on how the board falls trading back may be the way option to get value.

Khalil Mack or trade pick!

I know this is the popular choice, but it isn't likely, IMHO. Alonso was drafted to play WILB--a position that (excuse me Bradham) is yet unfilled. Alonso did so well early that he played a position he wasn't even drafted to fill--and may make DROY.

Again, it really doesn't matter because Watkins almost definitely will be gone.

I could see this happening:

1 Houston Teddy Bridgewater QB
2 St Louis Jake Matthews LOT
3 Jacksonville Johnny Manziel QB
4 Cleveland Derek Carr QB
5 Oakland Jadeveon Clowney DE43
6 Atlanta Anthony Barr OLB43
7 Tampa Bay Khalil Mack OLB43
8 Minnesota Blake Bortles QB
9 Buffalo Sammy Watkins WRF

And if somebody craves a CB, we'd have the choice of Watkins, Bortles, Mosley, Greg Robinson, or trade down for Ebron etc.

I know this is the popular choice, but it isn't likely, IMHO. Alonso was drafted to play WILB--a position that (excuse me Bradham) is yet unfilled. Alonso did so well early that he played a position he wasn't even drafted to fill--and may make DROY.

And if somebody craves a CB, we'd have the choice of Watkins, Bortles, Mosley, Greg Robinson, or trade down for Ebron etc.

Well played Astro. I think that between St. Louis, Oakland, Tampa and maybe even Cleveland (b/c they have 2 1sts) Watkins most likely will be gone. You do present a scenario that is plausible. I think that Barr or Mack are more likely to fall (and that % is small). I only think that there will be 3 QBs in the top 10 though. If that changes, someone will slip.

It's very early in the draft season. I could definitely see the very tall and gifted Kelvin Benjamin jumping the tall and lumbering Mike Evans on the supposed "draft boards" and eventually becoming a consideration at #9. If he tears it up at the combine then he may even be picked before the Bills at #9. WRs with his size and potential talent are so rare. You've got Green and Megatron, that's about it.

Right now, I would take Benjamin over Evans (not sure about the #9 spot yet) based on what I've seen on video. Evans looks like a TE playing WR while Benjamin looks like a true WR. I've heard that Benjamin hasn't been playing football for that long of a time, so that makes me think he still has huge upside above what he's shown at FSU.

I picked Watkins in the poll btw. If he's there pick him, he's ready to go from day one.

Edited by 1billsfan

I watched Robert Woods highlights, and he made so many great catches with tight coverage, fighting for the ball, and possession type plays. Watkins had almost none of those.

Granted, he made lots of big plays, but watching play-to-play game footage, he didn't deal with tight coverage well, and he WILL have tight coverage in the NFL.

I think Woods will be a better NFL receiver.

Benjamin worries me: he leaves his feet far too often while tracking the ball, not leaping for the ball at it's high point, but rather take a short hop early which will hurt his ability to battle for contested balls against NFL corners. The reason he does this is because he appears to be a devout "body catcher" who is more comfortable drawing the ball into his midsection than plucking it out of the air. At the next level this will lead to him playing much smaller than he is, and much more difficult to "throw open".

Benjamin worries me: he leaves his feet far too often while tracking the ball, not leaping for the ball at it's high point, but rather take a short hop early which will hurt his ability to battle for contested balls against NFL corners. The reason he does this is because he appears to be a devout "body catcher" who is more comfortable drawing the ball into his midsection than plucking it out of the air. At the next level this will lead to him playing much smaller than he is, and much more difficult to "throw open".

It's too bad, because Benjamin has huge hands (you'll see how huge at the Combine). He's also a stick—will need to add muscle in arms for better push-off, and get some plyometric training to build his leap height—don’t think his vert at Combine will be more than average. Sometimes Benjamin doesn’t jump any higher than the top of his defender’s ankle socks—the 5’10” Mincy out-jumped him in the Nat. championship, if you can find that. He's a smooth runner, though--reminiscent of James Lofton in just that regard. I think he'll still be a second rounder, maybe early third when all is said and done.

I watched Robert Woods highlights, and he made so many great catches with tight coverage, fighting for the ball, and possession type plays. Watkins had almost none of those.

Granted, he made lots of big plays, but watching play-to-play game footage, he didn't deal with tight coverage well, and he WILL have tight coverage in the NFL.

I think Woods will be a better NFL receiver.

The knock on Watkins is the inordinate number of screens he's been schemed. This was part Clemson, and part a way to get him into space. I could see us working more screens into our offense with 3 speedy wideouts and 2 good RBs (or a 1-1 with an unpredictable TE). Too many mismatches for the defense.

Astro how do you feel about the potential of Bills trading down ?

i would have guess if

this happened,

Your Quote "

"

All QB grabbing/jumping up for has been done nearly , lessening someone calling Doug W. for the Nine.

Thoughts ?

I think the chances of a trade-down are pretty good. You can't prevent teams from calling us if they want (in my scenario):

the #1 WR,

the #1 CB,

the #1 TE,

the #1 DT43,

or the #1 FS.

I also think there will be a run on CB in RD2 that will cause teams to value CB higher, earlier.

I think the chances of a trade-down are pretty good. You can't prevent teams from calling us if they want (in my scenario):

the #1 WR,

the #1 CB,

the #1 TE,

the #1 DT43,

or the #1 FS.

I also think there will be a run on CB in RD2 that will cause teams to value CB higher, earlier.

Thanks for that : )

Be interesting to see who the number ones are come time at each of those postions . Tell me a bit more about this cornerback run you are considering please

the #1 WR,

the #1 CB,

the #1 TE,

the #1 DT43,

or the #1 FS.

Astro, what corners do you see in the 1st? Dennard, Gilbert, Ekpre-Olomu (sp)? I feel like there are not as many corners as other years but I haven't paid too close of attention because I didn't think that the Bills needed one (early at least).

The knock on Watkins is the inordinate number of screens he's been schemed. This was part Clemson, and part a way to get him into space. I could see us working more screens into our offense with 3 speedy wideouts and 2 good RBs (or a 1-1 with an unpredictable TE). Too many mismatches for the defense.

I don't want more screens nearly as much as I want guys catching fades, or going up for the ball in the end zone. They have plenty of guys to run good screens with already, one more isn't going to add much.

We've said that before <_<

You got that rifgt. I was at the draft in 09, and when the Bills were on the clock I was one of the group TV viewers could hear chanting O-rak-po... then booing viciously when it was announced the "the Buffalo Bills select Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn State."