Bridgewater: Not first rounder to several teams

I've never understood this concept. Does anybody actually think that an NFL team, after a gazillion hours of intensive research, analysis and work are going to see an offhanded comment in the media made by a different team......and then in any way adjust their plans?

I think this is more about the media covering it's own ass, than it is about the actual teams doing anything.

However if one team wants to find out what another is thinking, the media is the only place to look. It's not like teams are going to tell each other. So, it's likely that a team will listen to certain media people, to at least get a report of what some other team ahead of them is going to do, and then see if it makes sense.

But, this is exploitable.

There's little doubt the Bills have absolutely scorched the media for the last 3 drafts. In fact, I don't know how you do a better job disinforming them. Getting Gilmore and Glenn, in the same draft, is expert skill. And the only way that happens? The media sells the lie.

Lying about EJ, having the media lap it up, and then, how fast they turned around and excoriated the Bills for taking him, tells you all you need to know: the media doesn't really do it's own work. Anyone think Todd McShay = the Bills, or any other team's, Scouting Department? :lol: No. The media mostly lives off what they get from the teams.

People can argue about EJ's play, what they can't argue about? The Bills got exactly what they wanted out of the draft, as they saw it, and the used the media to do it. Again.

Who knows what Whaley's going to be like? I doubt Buddy's bald-faced lie approach hasn't rubbed off a little.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya think? Glenn was a steal, but Gilmore was a top 10 pick! Just throwing it out there my friend. :)

Which begs the question: When was the last time the Bills found an excellent, i.e. Pro Bowl caliber player after round 2? It's probably Kyle Williams all the way back in 2006. Or perhaps Stevie Johnson in 2008. No wonder the team can't build a deeper team.

Drafting well in rounds 1 and 2 are what any team should be able to do. Finding talent after that point is what outstanding personnel departments are doing.

I've never understood this concept. Does anybody actually think that an NFL team, after a gazillion hours of intensive research, analysis and work are going to see an offhanded comment in the media made by a different team......and then in any way adjust their plans?

i absolutely believe that teams use the media (including all those silly mock drafts). In order to draft intelligently, it helps to know how other teams might value players in the draft. The Bills obviously thought, probably partly based on media reports, that they would be able to drop back and still get EJ. Similarly, the Rams became convinced that they had to trade up to get Austin, who had been considered a marginal first rounder a month before the draft, but according to draftniks was "on the rise". Media play a huge role in how teams draft, especially in the early rounds. Edited by mannc

Don't get me wrong. I give him respect for making a lot of money off this. But his resume is a joke. With today's technology and the amount of games on tv, he's not more qualified than some posters here.

I'd love to see some team hire Kiper and see how he performs when he is held accountable. That would be very interesting.

Kiper isn't perfect but neither are the Bills.

I noticed the other day that Cam Thomas is the starting NG for the Chargers. I remember when we drafted Troup, Kiper went off - saying how it was such a bad pick and he had Troup in the 7th round or something. He specifically stated that Troup was a bad value, and if they wanted to 'reach' for a NG, then they should have taken Cam Thomas because he was the best NG available. Seems like Kiper was right about that.

Kiper however is only one guy and the Bills have an entire team of scouts.

The worst is Todd McShay. If there is a QB Todd McShay likes, then just stay away. Woof.

Why do you keep saying Bortles played a crap schedule? He played a tougher schedule then Manuel did his senior year. He went toe to toe with the #4 team in the country before losing(South Carolina), he beat the #9 team in the country at their own place(Louisville) & beat the #5 team in the country in the Fiesta Bowl in Baylor. The combination of those 3 games were tougher then any 3 games Manuel played in his last year @ FSU.

EJ played the #6 team at the time (Florida), the #10 (Clemson), & #16 (Northern Illinois). And too to bottom, the ACC is a much stronger conference than the American.

:lol:

He's just mad that Bortles is better than ej.

If any other besides you were saying this, it might mean something. But your qb track record is beyond awful. So the fact that you don't like EJ makes me like him more.

Ya think? Glenn was a steal, but Gilmore was a top 10 pick! Just throwing it out there my friend. :)

I believe you were someone who gave up McKelvin. Might be wise to use some patience with Gilmore before you dismiss him.

Kiper isn't perfect but neither are the Bills.

I noticed the other day that Cam Thomas is the starting NG for the Chargers. I remember when we drafted Troup, Kiper went off - saying how it was such a bad pick and he had Troup in the 7th round or something. He specifically stated that Troup was a bad value, and if they wanted to 'reach' for a NG, then they should have taken Cam Thomas because he was the best NG available. Seems like Kiper was right about that.

Kiper however is only one guy and the Bills have an entire team of scouts.

The worst is Todd McShay. If there is a QB Todd McShay likes, then just stay away. Woof.

Agreed it's a bit of a crapshoot. If the Bills had a Brady or Manning, they would be thought of as a good drafting team. There's plenty of talent on the roster but without that franchise qb, it's hard to win. The great Bill Polian built a 2-14 team without Peyton. The Bills managed to win 6-7 games with Losman, Edwards, & Fitz.

And I'm not hating on Kiper. I'm super jealous he gets paid for this even though he had basically no football resume. I just hate how some fans take his opinion as gospel.

Bridgewater isn't imposing physically but he just has a god-given ability to make top notch, accurate throws from the pocket or the run which makes him a bastard to defend.

It would be inexcusable for the Bills to pass on him at 9 if he somehow slid.

Oh definitely, and he won't

Do you think that either was worth a top 10 draft selection for the Buffalo Bills?

With how McKelvin played this year, he was. He was almost a shutdown corner. And I can't say I was thrilled with the Gilmore pick, but a lot of people around the league love his ability.

But let's be honest Bill: if the pick isn't a linemen or someone from Alabama, you're going to hate it. ;)

With how McKelvin played this year, he was. He was almost a shutdown corner. And I can't say I was thrilled with the Gilmore pick, but a lot of people around the league love his ability.

But let's be honest Bill: if the pick isn't a linemen or someone from Alabama, you're going to hate it. ;)

Yeah, I like big guys and Crimson Tide players no doubt. But today quarterbacks get you to the playoffs.

That Yahoo article is pretty much how I see it (although not everyone had Cam Newton as a slam dunk not to miss prospect either back in 2011). I think those 4 guys who are seen as likely going in the top 10 are not that much better than the group expected to go in the 2nd and 3rd round and I'm pretty certain that by draft time at least 1, maybe even 2 will have slipped from the top 10 altogether.

I thought this was an interesting piece I found yesterday about the 2014 QB class.

http://sports.yahoo....00978--nfl.html

According to one GM:

[/size]

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It looks like some pretty talented QBs might fall back into the second and third rounds. Would love to see the Bills grab someone like Taj Boyd in the third, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Holy cow!!

Our plane almost escaped the earth's orbit on my recent flight to Atlanta (I mean, compared to when we were taxiing).

Edited by Mr. WEO

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It looks like some pretty talented QBs might fall back into the second and third rounds. Would love to see the Bills grab someone like Taj Boyd in the third, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Scouts at the senior bowl were saying that the way Boyd has practiced he is undraftable.

Holy cow!!

Our plane almost escaped the earth's orbit on my recent flight to Atlanta (I mean, compared to when we were taxiing).

I know your gimmick is to crap on anything Bills related, but it's true. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/20/2013-pff-all-afc-east-team/

"Playing a career-high 947 snaps, McKelvin made the most of them as his +8.7 coverage grade ranked seventh among cornerbacks. He knocked away 13 passes to tie for sixth in the league while allowing only 1.09 Yards Per Cover Snap to tie for 27th at the position."

I know your gimmick is to crap on anything Bills related, but it's true. https://www.profootb...-afc-east-team/

"Playing a career-high 947 snaps, McKelvin made the most of them as his +8.7 coverage grade ranked seventh among cornerbacks. He knocked away 13 passes to tie for sixth in the league while allowing only 1.09 Yards Per Cover Snap to tie for 27th at the position."

No, I just crap on silly posts sometimes. The hyperbole here gets thick. "Almost a shutdown corner" really has no meaning. I will grant that he had a career year though, which is nice because he was drafted to have this level of performance some years ago.