Gil Brandt Top 50 Prospects

papazoid

1. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Manziel (6-0, 205 pounds) is a unique athlete who produced 10,000 yards of offense in two seasons with the Aggies. He has great vision at quarterback.

2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Clowney (6-foot-4 1/2, 260 pounds) did not play well this season, but he is an outstanding athlete with speed and has great talent.

3. Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA

Like his father, Barr (6-foot-4, 242 pounds) is a former running back. He had 23.5 sacks over two seasons and can rush and play in space.

4. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Matthews (6-foot-5, 310 pounds) stayed in school for his fourth year and learned the left tackle position. He can play guard or tackle and is a good pass blocker.

5. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

In two seasons, Bridgewater (6-foot-2 1/2, 207 pounds) had 58 TD passes and only 12 interceptions and a completion percentage of nearly 70 percent. His thin upper body is a concern.

6. Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

Bortles (6-foot-3 1/2, 225 pounds) is the flavor of the month right now. He has emerged after receiving only two offers out of high school, including one from Purdue, which recruited him as a tight end. In two years he had 50 TD passes to 16 interceptions.

7. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Watkins (6-0, 207 pounds) is a very strong receiver. He had a great first year in 2011, when he had 82 catches and 12 TDs and averaged 25 yards per kickoff return, then missed three games in an up-and-down sophomore season. He finished his college career with 240 catches in three years.

8. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo

Mack (6-foot-2, 247 pounds) broke Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson's NCAA record for forced fumbles. He was especially impressive against Ohio State in the season opener, posting nine tackles and 2.5 sacks.

9. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

A fifth-year player, Lewan (6-foot-6, 320 pounds) does things very easy and has the strength to play left tackle. His play this season wasn't quite as good as last year.

10. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

A third-year player, Robinson (6-foot-4 1/2, 325 pounds) redshirted in 2011 and has started 24 games the past two years. He played guard in high school in Louisiana.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Manziel (6-0, 205 pounds) is a unique athlete who produced 10,000 yards of offense in two seasons with the Aggies. He has great vision at quarterback.

2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Clowney (6-foot-4 1/2, 260 pounds) did not play well this season, but he is an outstanding athlete with speed and has great talent.

3. Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA

Like his father, Barr (6-foot-4, 242 pounds) is a former running back. He had 23.5 sacks over two seasons and can rush and play in space.

4. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Matthews (6-foot-5, 310 pounds) stayed in school for his fourth year and learned the left tackle position. He can play guard or tackle and is a good pass blocker.

5. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

In two seasons, Bridgewater (6-foot-2 1/2, 207 pounds) had 58 TD passes and only 12 interceptions and a completion percentage of nearly 70 percent. His thin upper body is a concern.

6. Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

Bortles (6-foot-3 1/2, 225 pounds) is the flavor of the month right now. He has emerged after receiving only two offers out of high school, including one from Purdue, which recruited him as a tight end. In two years he had 50 TD passes to 16 interceptions.

7. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Watkins (6-0, 207 pounds) is a very strong receiver. He had a great first year in 2011, when he had 82 catches and 12 TDs and averaged 25 yards per kickoff return, then missed three games in an up-and-down sophomore season. He finished his college career with 240 catches in three years.

8. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo

Mack (6-foot-2, 247 pounds) broke Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson's NCAA record for forced fumbles. He was especially impressive against Ohio State in the season opener, posting nine tackles and 2.5 sacks.

9. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

A fifth-year player, Lewan (6-foot-6, 320 pounds) does things very easy and has the strength to play left tackle. His play this season wasn't quite as good as last year.

10. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

A third-year player, Robinson (6-foot-4 1/2, 325 pounds) redshirted in 2011 and has started 24 games the past two years. He played guard in high school in Louisiana.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list

I thought Terrell Suggs owned the forced fumbles record before Mack broke it. Disappointed he's not playing in Senior Bowl. Wanted to see him dominate against "upper tier" talent.

I just wanted to make sure I posted some Gil Brandt love. The guy is amazing and knows football. If you have never listened to his show on Sirius then you have missed out on hearing the words of someone who has been in this business and done more in it then any other individual in this world.

I see 8 top prospects: Manziel, Clowney, Matthews, Watkins, Bridgewater, barr, Mack and bortles (borderline). I hope one falls to us.

I'd take any of the above players before any of the remaining. If they're all gone, I'd be happy with Mosley, Robinson or possibly Ebron (although I'm not sold on him, our offense desperately needs a TE that can open it up for the rest of out offense.

I don't see Watkins fighting for the ball much. He would get open and make nice catches, but in the NFL a good receiver has to be able to fight for the ball, and coverage will be much tighter. I think he will be good, but not worth the 9th pick.

I think you can say that is a question about his game, but he was able to beat coverage cleanly in college - was he supposed to let college CBs cover him so that he could show that he can fight for the ball?

I don't see Watkins fighting for the ball much. He would get open and make nice catches, but in the NFL a good receiver has to be able to fight for the ball, and coverage will be much tighter. I think he will be good, but not worth the 9th pick.

Obviously coverage will be tighter but I'd rather have a guy who knows how to find soft spots and get open than somebody who can fight for the ball. How many "fight for the ball" type catches will a WR have all season long? 5? Give me a guy who consistently gets open and I'll worry about those 5 catches later.

Obviously coverage will be tighter but I'd rather have a guy who knows how to find soft spots and get open than somebody who can fight for the ball. How many "fight for the ball" type catches will a WR have all season long? 5? Give me a guy who consistently gets open and I'll worry about those 5 catches later.

The Bills have fast guys that get open pretty well, not spectacular, but adequate (whether anyone gets them the ball is a different topic). The main receiving problem is in the red zone, especially the END ZONE (ranked 29th...they sucked, and it cost them games). There aren't many "soft spots" there because there isn't much space. That's where you need a guy that can fight for the ball...Sammy Watkins isn't that guy.

I have watched a few highlight vids...I have yet to see him catch a pass in the red zone. Saw him drop one, but it's obviously not a strength of his. The Bills need a guy that can catch a fade pass in the end zone, or fight off a Db on a comeback at the goal line pylon, or go up for a pass under the post at the back of the end zone. Sammy ain't that guy.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

The Bills spent draft picks on three WR's in the first three rounds the last two years, and i just don't see them going WR again unless he is a can't miss superstar. The Bills have more pressing needs at OT, TE, LBer.

TJ Graham in the 3rd in 2012- Robert Woods in the 2nd 2013- Marquise Goodwin in the 3rd 2013.

MEL KIPER'S FIRST MOCK DRAFT

Johnny Manziel *

Houston Texans (2-14)

COLLEGE: Texas A&M

HT: 6-0

WT: 205

POS: QB

Analysis: I spoke to a number of high-ranking NFL evaluators this week, and this is the one QB anyone felt certain was a top-5 pick. So consider this an early bet, with one major caveat: Bill O'Brien just arrived, is still putting his staff together, knows a good QB when he sees one, and hasn't had enough time (if any) to study the draft class. But we know quarterback is a major need here. O'Brien likes a QB with presence, a leader and a guy who will out-prepare the competition. And while Manziel has gotten his share of bad press, he's a dynamic talent, and I feel he can lead at the next level; I'm not alone in that opinion. While Manziel is currently ranked No. 11 on my Big Board, this reflects the draft.

Manziel doesn't fit the old prototypes of a QB drafted No. 1, and I have concerns about how well he can protect himself given his smaller frame, but he is a magician on the field, and is made for the current NFL. This league protects and welcomes QBs who can improvise, run and make plays beyond the playbook. It's early, but Manziel is a special player and has the draft process to prove it further.

Jake Matthews

St. Louis Rams (7-9) (From WAS)

COLLEGE: Texas A&M

HT: 6-5

WT: 309

POS: OT

Analysis: Rams general manager Les Snead has already said that he'll take calls on this draft slot, which makes plenty of sense given the fact that the three teams drafting directly after St. Louis need a quarterback. So if you want a certain QB, you might be trying to work out a deal with the Rams to assure you get him. That said, I can't project a trade, and Matthews would be a tremendous fit for the Rams, who need to bring in an upgrade at left tackle this offseason given the uncertainty regarding Jake Long's health. Matthews has proved capable of dominating on both the left and right side, in fact, and comes with more assurances in that regard than the tackles drafted at the top of the board last season. At tackle, I also think Greg Robinson could compete with Matthews to be the first one taken, and I don't think it's out of the question that St. Louis takes a QB or top defensive lineman.

Jadeveon Clowney *

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)

COLLEGE: South Carolina

WT: 274

POS: DE

Analysis: There is no question that the Jags need a QB. It is questionable whether they will take one at this draft slot unless they believe that QB will make them better at that position in 2014. So consider this an early bet on a front office that will look to hit what is still a major need (the pass rush) by drafting the best available player in the draft. Clowney got questioned on his motor in his final college season, but that has more to do with stats than the tape. And any evaluator who saw a tentative player could also imagine what Clowney had on the line. Clowney is physically prepared to come in and make a major impact, and I think there's a good chance the Jags draft for upside and angle for a QB later. Don't forget: Free agency and trades can still shift the QB market in the draft. Think of Kansas City last year at this time.

As well, I recall when the Texans took Mario Williams at a time when QB was a question, and their GM told us it wasn't just about needing a QB, it was about the QBs they had to beat. Peyton Manning was in the division. Indy still has a good QB the Jags have to face.

Blake Bortles *

Cleveland Browns (4-12)

COLLEGE: UCF

HT: 6-4

WT: 230

Analysis: Suffice to say, no coach in Cleveland makes this a pretty difficult projection. While there's plenty of debate in NFL circles regarding which QB in this class has the most upside in terms of overall ability, from a physical standpoint Bortles is at the top of the list. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, with not elite but good arm strength, and the ability to move both in the pocket and to make plays down the field as a runner, he has a chance to add value and eliminate negative plays with his mobility as he develops as a passer. It goes without saying that Cleveland will look to address its QB situation through the draft or via a trade, and this is potentially a good fit for Bortles. He's still somewhat limited as a progression passer and struggles with ball placement, and can also be rigid with his mechanics, but the presence of Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron gives any new QB here matchup threats to exploit. Cleveland is, for the first time in a while, a really attractive environment for a young QB to grow and succeed.

Sammy Watkins *

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

COLLEGE: Clemson

HT: 6-1

WT: 205

POS: WR

Analysis: I count Oakland among the teams that could use a talent upgrade at QB, but the Raiders need to take really good football players who can help the team right away -- and I believe their front office knows it. Watkins qualifies as an experienced and explosive combination of a pass-catcher and dynamic runner after the catch. And while he lacks elite size for the position, Watkins brings an elite level of explosiveness before and after the catch and is a significant threat and can beat defenses over the top. Unless you count a healthy Darren McFadden (who is an unrestricted free agent this offseason), Oakland has lacked a player who is a constant threat to create big plays. Watkins can fill that void.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10283026/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-unveils-first-mock-draft'>http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10283026/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-unveils-first-mock-draft

Anthony Barr

Atlanta Falcons (4-12)

COLLEGE: UCLA

HT: 6-4

WT: 248

POS: OLB/DE

Analysis: Three years ago the Broncos drafted Von Miller, a move that caused many to ask whether Miller would fit in John Fox's scheme. Fox was known as a 4-3 guy, and Miller seemed well-equipped physically to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. I could hear some saying the same about this pick, but (A) great players make great systems more often than the other way around, so don't get too caught up in the whole 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing, and (B) the Falcons really need a pass-rusher. Barr gives them that, as an explosive matchup problem on the edge who does more than disrupt the passing game. And he can certainly add weight.

Khalil Mack

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)

COLLEGE: Buffalo

HT: 6-3

WT: 245

POS: OLB

Analysis: The Bucs are another team that must create more pressure to take advantage of the fact that they have a good defensive core in place to stop the run and make plays in the secondary. Mack gives Tampa a three-down linebacker who can rush the quarterback and drop and make plays in space. He could be plugged in across the formation from Lavonte David and won't need to come off the field. This could be a really good defense in 2014 for Lovie Smith.

Teddy Bridgewater *

Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)

COLLEGE: Louisville

HT: 6-2

WT: 220

Analysis: In terms of his ability as a passer, Bridgewater could go higher. But while I currently have him rated as the top QB on my Big Board, Bridgewater will need to prove to teams that he can command an NFL huddle and be the face of a franchise. I think he has the necessary physical tools to succeed, and shows an advanced approach with his footwork, anticipation, pre-snap command and ability to improvise. He's a very good value here for a team with a huge need at the position. Whether he can start right away is a question we'll need more time to answer.

Greg Robinson *

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

COLLEGE: Auburn

WT: 320

Analysis: Cordy Glenn has been an adequate and at times above-average NFL left tackle, but the Bills definitely need a right tackle. That could be Robinson as a rookie, or he could come in and Glenn could move to the right side. Robinson has the physical tools and proven level of performance against SEC competition of a potential star at the next level, and the Bills must protect the investment they have in EJ Manuel, who has had issues staying healthy.

Justin Gilbert

Detroit Lions (7-9)

COLLEGE: Oklahoma St.

HT: 6-0

WT: 200

POS: CB

Analysis: With continued improvement from Ezekiel Ansah to go with the dominance of the interior of that defensive line, the Lions could create a ton of pressure on opposing QBs next season. The problem is if they can't do a better job of covering, it might not make a difference. Gilbert would help the cause coming off a season where you could argue that no cornerback in college football performed better. He has the size to compete with bigger wide receivers and the agility and speed to run with anybody. He also brings strong return skills.

Taylor Lewan

Tennessee Titans (7-9)

COLLEGE: Michigan

HT: 6-7

WT: 315

Analysis: The Titans have some decisions to make at tackle in the short term, with David Stewart likely not to return at right tackle and Michael Roos a free agent after the 2014 season. If they want this offense to take another step forward, adding talent and continuity on the offensive line will be pivotal. Lewan comes off a fine career at Michigan where he started since his freshman season, and added power as a run-blocker to his already ideal frame for a tackle. He could start at right tackle as a rookie and transition to the left side.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10283026/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-unveils-first-mock-draft

Edited by papazoid

Move Glenn? Jeez Kiper, just swallow what pride you have left and just say that you were completely wrong about Glenn. He was a top 10 LT in the league this past year.

That's exactly how I feel. I believe that the Bills need a starting RT and a starting LG. That is why I don't want an OL at 9. You can find those guys in the 2nd (Richardson, Richardson or Jackson). If they decide to stay at 9 you need an impact guy. If they needed a LT than I would consider Robinson. I really don't like Jake Matthews as a prospect like others do. I wouldn't want him even if he fell to 9.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I thought Terrell Suggs owned the forced fumbles record before Mack broke it. Disappointed he's not playing in Senior Bowl. Wanted to see him dominate against "upper tier" talent.

Did you see him against San Diego State?

Also, he had zero FF this season.

Edited by Mr. WEO