Gil Brandt Top 50 Prospects

papazoid

Kiper needs to get off Glenn; that being said we better not take an RT or G at 9 that would be a wasted pick...you draft this high it is skill, skill, skill,

that's what makes the NFL so interesting....because I believe just the opposite....skill comes last for first round picks.

you draft QB's and front 7's....look at the recent first round picks of the final four:

Seattle - DE, OT, S, OT, LB, DE, CB, C, DT (78%)

Denver - DT, LB, QB, WR, DE, RB, OT, DE, QB, LB, OT (82%)

New England - DE, DE, OT, CB, LB, S, RB, OG, TE, DT, DT, TE, DT, LB, C (80%)

San Fran - FS, WR, LB, G, OT, WR, DT, OT, LB, LB, TE, QB (75%)

Buffalo - QB, CB, DT, RB, C, DE, DB, RB, DT, S (50%)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gil Brandt is a living legend. His draft board is as credible as any other "expert" out there so I tend to listen when he speaks (or writes).

Did anyone click the "on the clock" link on the nfl.com website while reading his entire list? They have us taking Eric Ebron which I guess I wouldn't have a problem with. I think we need to gather weapons for EJ and an upgrade at TE, even if we resign Chandler, could help a lot. Also, I think they could still get a RT at the top of the 2nd.

The question is do you want a guy like Lewan at 9 and then Jenkins or Amaro in the 2nd or would you rather Ebron at 9 and a guy like Richardson in the 2nd? Clearly too early to speculate and so much can change but, hell, what else is there to do?

I agree. It is so much easier to find a guard or RT in free agency or in the late rounds than it is to find elite skill players. You can find OL starters throughout the draft but you can't find talents like Watkins throughout the draft. Elite athleticism comes off the board quickly. Guard and RT are huge needs on this team (especially LG) but that does not mean that you should get 1 at 9. You take impact guys there and then in the 2nd and after you take bpa at positions of need (Richardson, Richardson or Jackson).

If the skill player they like isn't there at 9, you either take the next skill player on your list or trade back (if possible). Can get good value on an OL starting in the mid 20s for the top guys.

LG and RT are huge needs for us, taking a G or even an RT at 9 is just absurd. T An average LG between Glenn and Wood will be more than enough for us. I think you will see an RT before a G....

Whaley even talked about it earlier in the year end presser. Teams (including the Bills) have dollar amounts tied to positions based on value. Skill players get paid a ton of cash and at times those are the players that leave. You have to be prepared. I know BillfromNYC hates when we draft CBs high, but there are reasons for it. You can generally get good production from a Rookie CB (press, Man-to-man or zone coverages don't change that much and it is a reactionary position) and be up and running with them in year 2. When these guys develop teams looking to make a push into the playoffs have at some point lost a CB or was an open need and they overpay the guy to try to put them over the top. This is why CBs is a good value for a skill position at the top of the draft, you keep them the 5 years they go and you replace them with cheaper talent. Revis is a great player, but to pay him what the Jets were paying him hurt the team in it's totality.

Top WRs (Megatron, AJ Green Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc) rarely hit the market; they tend to take a bit longer to develop than a CB (routes, timing, bocking, reading Ds etc), these players keep drives going and put points on the board.

DEs and DTs are the other 2 positions to look to at the top of the draft. Your pure pass rushers shut down offense, cause turnovers and give you the opportunity to score more points by forcing the oppositions Offense of the field. Your DTs either clog the middle to stop the run or rush the passer to gobble up OLmen and destroy the pocket, leading to INTs or incomplete passes. These players also get paid. These positions don't too often hit FA. Without looking I believe that you see DTs become FAs before a DE. DTs are generally more replaceable than DE....

LBs would be one of the next most important positions and depending on what your D style is is where you grab these players. Unless you are a Steelers type 34 who creates pressure with LBs (pass rushing DE); there value at the top of round 1 isn't there. For every Patrick Willis there are more Aaron Curry's than I care to recall.

When you draft for the OL, the to pecking order should be LT & C then RT and your Gs. The C is a critical position as they generally make the line calls and are responsible to not only snap the ball, but to either handle a huge DT and help either or both Gs. LT yes protects the QBs blind side, but a great/good QB can feel the pressure and limit the need (see Peyton this year). RTs generally run block and at times teams place their pass rushing DE on this side; they need to be able to handle their own. RTs and Gs can be had in later rounds other than LTs and Cs.

The top 10 or so of the second round is a great place to grab talent, you can find great players there. Teams that reached in round 1 allow for blue chippers to fall through; just have to make sure you don't reach based on need otherwise you get Troupe'd...

Kiper needs to get off Glenn; that being said we better not take an RT or G at 9 that would be a wasted pick...you draft this high it is skill, skill, skill,

I'd take a RT in the top 10 but never a G. Tackles have a place in the top 10 IMO. Especially since they can usually be kicked inside to G should they not work out at OT. Guards can rarely move out to tackle. That's just supply and demand....good tackles always come off the board quickly because guys who are 6'5", 320 LBS, and who can move the way they do just don't grow on trees.

that's what makes the NFL so interesting....because I believe just the opposite....skill comes last for first round picks.

you draft QB's and front 7's....look at the recent first round picks of the final four:

Seattle - DE, OT, S, OT, LB, DE, CB, C, DT (78%)

Denver - DT, LB, QB, WR, DE, RB, OT, DE, QB, LB, OT (82%)

New England - DE, DE, OT, CB, LB, S, RB, OG, TE, DT, DT, TE, DT, LB, C (80%)

San Fran - FS, WR, LB, G, OT, WR, DT, OT, LB, LB, TE, QB (75%)

Buffalo - QB, CB, DT, RB, C, DE, DB, RB, DT, S (50%)

You bring up the flipside and there is merit to that side as well. To level the playing field a bit, NE doesn't count because they have been good for a decade and draft near the bottom of the first; the skill positions are picked over and gone.

SF sucked and grabbed Crabtree & Willis; Vernon Davis went 6th - high for a TE but a phenomenal weapon. I didn't talk much about TEs, but the receiving ones will go much higher and have a WR type value.

Denver got great value on Demarious Thomas (mid-20s). They also signed Champ Bailey & Welker. There model was more sign the skill positions as FAs and draft the inside of the team. (although this is likely due to the signing of Manning and being a playoff-ish team with Cutler & Tebow which kept them mid first round.

Seattle busted out Curry and honestly...I really don't follow this team or what they do...LOL

I'd take a RT in the top 10 but never a G. Tackles have a place in the top 10 IMO. Especially since they can usually be kicked inside to G should they not work out at OT. Guards can rarely move out to tackle. That's just supply and demand....good tackles always come off the board quickly because guys who are 6'5", 320 LBS, and who can move the way they do just don't grow on trees.

RT is is a tough one, I wouldn't go top 10 for one unless the player you want is gone, the BPA is for a player you already have an All pro at you have a glaring weakness at that spot on your OL...I am not trying to underscore that position too much, because it is important. To take one in the Top 10 you have to have a a perfect storm...there may a good reason...

RT is is a tough one, I wouldn't go top 10 for one unless the player you want is gone, the BPA is for a player you already have an All pro at you have a glaring weakness at that spot on your OL...I am not trying to underscore that position too much, because it is important. To take one in the Top 10 you have to have a a perfect storm...there may a good reason...

We'll have to agree to disagree here. In today's passing NFL I think you need elite pass blockers on both sides so RT is becoming super important (not that you said it wasn't). Plus, looking at this draft in particular, a guy like Taylor Lewan or Robinson from Auburn are projected LTs so you get a guy like that, play him on the right side and then you have flexiblity in case Glenn gets hurt or if we can't resign him in two years or if they just want to move him to LG or RT. So I don't know if I'd take a mauler like Loadholt from Minnesota at 9, but I'd take a LT and play him at right...if that makes sense.