Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC

thebandit27

Going undefeated in the regular season is hardly meaningless.

No offense, but I don't really have any respect for this line of thought in a NFL HC. Even if you accept this line of thought he's still a (*^*&%^$^#because if the game was so meaningless that they needed to protect Manning from injury why would you play him in the first place? Instead he played him for the first half and IIRC he started the 3rd quarter, then got pulled with the Colts up by maybe a TD. So he risked injuring his QB and then pulled him out just in time to throw away a shot at history. It seemed to me he threw it almost for the sake of sticking true to his "that's not our goal" mantra, which to me is the mark of a born loser. I don't care about the Lions, so I'm fine with this hire, but if I were a Lions fan I'd be thinking of other ways to spend my Sundays right about now.

Yeah, Pats fans are so thrilled with their 18-1 season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting choice of prioritization I guess. To me, seeing as how only 2 teams in the history of the game have gone undefeated in the regular season, and you've got a great chance of being the first to run the table since the implementation of the 16 game season, and you throw it all away to sit your QB for an extra quarter of football is a decision I cannot abide and will never respect. You're obviously entitled to your opinion, it's just something I can't wrap my mind around or find any way of rationalizing or casting in a positive light.

Put another way, anyone who's willing to throw away something that special to avoid such a slight risk is someone who has no business running a billion $ football franchise IMO.

It might not have been his choice, either... Polian was involved in those decisions.

Are there really 32 NFL Capable Head Coaches??? Or are their just people holding the position of HC. I think the latter...

There are, but quite a few of them are college head coaches with little interest in moving to the N.F.L.

Does it say how much he learned from Peyton Manning though?

Manning actually called the Lions and personally recommended Caldwell.

ATL_twitter_thumb2_normal.jpgNFL: AroundTheLeague@NFL_ATL 29m
    Peyton Manning's phone call played role in Lions' hiring of Jim Caldwell http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314081/article/peyton-manning-called-lions-to-endorse-jim-caldwell?campaign=Twitter_atl …

Kyle Rowland@KyleRowland 15m

It appears Jim Tressel could be added to the Lions staff as soon as this week. http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/3397/tressels-ties-to-jim-caldwell-are-strong?ex_cid=espnapi_public …

Manning actually called the Lions and personally recommended Caldwell.

ATL_twitter_thumb2_normal.jpgNFL: AroundTheLeague@NFL_ATL 29m
    Peyton Manning's phone call played role in Lions' hiring of Jim Caldwell http://www.nfl.com/n...er_atl …

Kyle Rowland@KyleRowland 15m

It appears Jim Tressel could be added to the Lions staff as soon as this week. http://espn.go.com/b...public …

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314081/article/peyton-manning-called-lions-to-endorse-jim-caldwell?campaign=Twitter_atl

Sounds like a solid QB coach.

Then again, who needs a QB coach? B-)

In 50 years 5 coaches have brought two different teams to the big dance.

If it's all about superbowls, history is not on his side. But he was widely credited with getting the ravens offence clicking just in the nick of time for their Super Bowl run.

thats 100 total slots, filled by what, probably about 65-70 coaches to ever reach it? then you start pulling out the active ones that havent switched teams (BB, the harbaughs, tomlin, coughlin, McCarthy.... )

id guess you start getting to odds that are higher than random coordinators or coaches that didnt reach it in their first try. not a slam dunk, but it sure doesnt sound like it hurts to have one on your resume.

Edited by NoSaint

Living in Indy Caldwell is well liked and respected. He is a quiet man who does a good job getting the most out of his team. Peyton Manning cites him as the reason he is the QB he is due to Caldwell's mentoring. It is a good hire for a team lacking in self control and leadership. Detroit will be better off and will be a force next season. The knock on him sitting the starters when the Colts had a chance at a perfect season was made by Polian with Irsay's endorsement. It created quite a stir in the Indianapolis media and with he fans. Caldwell took one for his team. The guy has a lot of character.