Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC

thebandit27

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Ravens even offered to keep him on.

The Bills hired Jauron after he had been fired as Lions DC and Gailey after he had been fired as Chiefs OC. The Steelers were thrilled to be relieved of Mularkey when the Bills hired him too......he was under some heat there.

Bills are experts in hiring cold product for HC's.

Marrone was only .500 at Syracuse but at least he was wanted. :lol:

Based on PFT's report that the Lions tried to hire Dungy (link below), is this starting to remind anyone else of the way Gailey was hired here?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/lions-asked-tony-dungy-if-he-wanted-job-before-caldwell-talk/

Team pursues retired coach (in Buffalo's case Cowher, in Detroit's case Dungy), retired coach doesn't want the job, so he recommends his old OC for the job...team hires said OC to the tune of much criticism.

If I were a Lions' fan, I'd be underwhelmed by this hire.

Tom Moore was the architect of the Colts offense. All Caldwell did was run that team into the ground. He's an awful coach. I'm actually feeling sorry for Lions fans. This is a God-awful hire, and the Lions are on track to win about 15 games total over the next 3 years.

Tom Moore really was a big part of Peyton and the Colts offensive success especially early on. But I don't totally downplay Caldwell's work in Indy. I think this will turn out to be a surprisingly good fit for the Lions.

Tom Moore really was a big part of Peyton and the Colts offensive success especially early on. But I don't totally downplay Caldwell's work in Indy. I think this will turn out to be a surprisingly good fit for the Lions.

Disagree (but we will see soon enough). Don't underestimate Peyton's leadership abilities - once he left, they not only lost a great QB, they lost the leader of the team, and Caldwell wasn't able to inspire the troops. Detroit needs leadership more than anything else and I don't see that coming from Caldwell, at least based on his track record. He was also a HORRIBLE game manager with the Colts, even when they got to the SB - he routinely wasted timeouts, screwed up challenges, and generally made boneheaded decisions from the sidelines. I honestly am shocked he has a second chance. I think the Ravens were even considering firing him at one point this season - he totally destroyed that offense. And Flacco did not develop under him, contrary to some of the opinions in this thread. Flacco was pedestrian for much of last season, but got hot in December and the playoffs (the Ravens almost didn't make the playoffs).

The Lions continue to confound me. They somehow manage to out-suck the Bills as an organization, even with far better talent.

Disagree (but we will see soon enough). Don't underestimate Peyton's leadership abilities - once he left, they not only lost a great QB, they lost the leader of the team, and Caldwell wasn't able to inspire the troops. Detroit needs leadership more than anything else and I don't see that coming from Caldwell, at least based on his track record. He was also a HORRIBLE game manager with the Colts, even when they got to the SB - he routinely wasted timeouts, screwed up challenges, and generally made boneheaded decisions from the sidelines. I honestly am shocked he has a second chance. I think the Ravens were even considering firing him at one point this season - he totally destroyed that offense. And Flacco did not develop under him, contrary to some of the opinions in this thread. Flacco was pedestrian for much of last season, but got hot in December and the playoffs (the Ravens almost didn't make the playoffs).

The Lions continue to confound me. They somehow manage to out-suck the Bills as an organization, even with far better talent.

Well, Ralph does live in Detroit so maybe he is consulting for them on the side

The portion of the season for which Flacco was pedestrian was when Cam Cameron was Baltimore's offensive coordinator. If you remember, the Ravens fired Cameron and promoted Caldwell to OC after week 14.

It was subsequent to that time that Flacco got hot, which is why I believe Caldwell gets a fair amount of credit for his development, as that's the sentiment that the Ravens' players put forward the week prior to the Superbowl:

http://www.newsrt.us/news/baltimore-ravens-agree-john-harbaugh-s-decision-to-fire-cam-cameron-and-install-jim-caldwell-turned-season-around-889200.html

The portion of the season for which Flacco was pedestrian was when Cam Cameron was Baltimore's offensive coordinator. If you remember, the Ravens fired Cameron and promoted Caldwell to OC after week 14.

It was subsequent to that time that Flacco got hot, which is why I believe Caldwell gets a fair amount of credit for his development, as that's the sentiment that the Ravens' players put forward the week prior to the Superbowl:

http://www.newsrt.us...und-889200.html

Right but wasn't Caldwell the QB coach before the promotion? Flacco wasn't exactly lighting it up under his tutelage.

As for Flacco, he certainly got hot at the right time in his career. Parlayed an 8 game run into a $100 million contract and really the Ravens had no choice, he got them a ring.

Right but wasn't Caldwell the QB coach before the promotion? Flacco wasn't exactly lighting it up under his tutelage.

As for Flacco, he certainly got hot at the right time in his career. Parlayed an 8 game run into a $100 million contract and really the Ravens had no choice, he got them a ring.

One of the gutsier plays by a guy in the last year of his contract I have ever seen. He made a bet on himself and won.

I can't believe more isn't made out of him all but throwing a game with an undefeated season on the line. To me that's one of the top 5 most eggregious coaching moves of the last 10 years. Say what you will about Tom Brady and Bill Bellyache, I think the kind of stat padding and scoreboard running they engaged in during the 2007 season to be in poor taste, but I at least give them credit for playing to win the game. Caldwell needs to have a mentoring session with Herm Edwards.

I can't believe more isn't made out of him all but throwing a game with an undefeated season on the line. To me that's one of the top 5 most eggregious coaching moves of the last 10 years. Say what you will about Tom Brady and Bill Bellyache, I think the kind of stat padding and scoreboard running they engaged in during the 2007 season to be in poor taste, but I at least give them credit for playing to win the game. Caldwell needs to have a mentoring session with Herm Edwards.

Wasn't that a Bills game in the snow at the Ralph?

And what if Peyton got hurt in a meaningless game?

I have thought about his decision to pull the starters in that game, and I think it was the right one. They made it to the SB that year. They didn't win it, but it was their goal to win it. Their goal was not to have an undefeated season. If I was the coach, I would not have played them either.

Going undefeated in the regular season is hardly meaningless.

I have thought about his decision to pull the starters in that game, and I think it was the right one. They made it to the SB that year. They didn't win it, but it was their goal to win it. Their goal was not to have an undefeated season. If I was the coach, I would not have played them either.

No offense, but I don't really have any respect for this line of thought in a NFL HC. Even if you accept this line of thought he's still a (*^*&%^$^#because if the game was so meaningless that they needed to protect Manning from injury why would you play him in the first place? Instead he played him for the first half and IIRC he started the 3rd quarter, then got pulled with the Colts up by maybe a TD. So he risked injuring his QB and then pulled him out just in time to throw away a shot at history. It seemed to me he threw it almost for the sake of sticking true to his "that's not our goal" mantra, which to me is the mark of a born loser. I don't care about the Lions, so I'm fine with this hire, but if I were a Lions fan I'd be thinking of other ways to spend my Sundays right about now.

Going undefeated in the regular season is hardly meaningless.

No offense, but I don't really have any respect for this line of thought in a NFL HC. Even if you accept this line of thought he's still a (*^*&%^$^#because if the game was so meaningless that they needed to protect Manning from injury why would you play him in the first place? Instead he played him for the first half and IIRC he started the 3rd quarter, then got pulled with the Colts up by maybe a TD. So he risked injuring his QB and then pulled him out just in time to throw away a shot at history. It seemed to me he threw it almost for the sake of sticking true to his "that's not our goal" mantra, which to me is the mark of a born loser. I don't care about the Lions, so I'm fine with this hire, but if I were a Lions fan I'd be thinking of other ways to spend my Sundays right about now.

I think he played because he had a streak of games started... I would have not played him past the 1st qtr

I think he played because he had a streak of games started... I would have not played him past the 1st qtr

It's an interesting choice of prioritization I guess. To me, seeing as how only 2 teams in the history of the game have gone undefeated in the regular season, and you've got a great chance of being the first to run the table since the implementation of the 16 game season, and you throw it all away to sit your QB for an extra quarter of football is a decision I cannot abide and will never respect. You're obviously entitled to your opinion, it's just something I can't wrap my mind around or find any way of rationalizing or casting in a positive light.

Put another way, anyone who's willing to throw away something that special to avoid such a slight risk is someone who has no business running a billion $ football franchise IMO.