The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

There are a number of things that can be done to improve the ACA. My guess is we'll see some additional reforms within the next decade.

No, we won't. It's the law of the land, and not subject to change.

Unless you have a pen and a phone. Or a podium. Or a judge's robe.

I don't know which is worse, the above statement being serious, or sarcastic.

Here ya go:

http://www.wpaag.org/Obama%20-%20want%20single-payer%20quotes.htm

Obama speech at SEIU Health Care Forum 3-24-07

"My commitment is to make sure that we've got universal health care for all Americans by the end of my first term as President. I would hope that we set up a system that allows those who can go to their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some sort. But I don't think we are going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There is going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out."

Here ya go:

http://www.wpaag.org/Obama%20-%20want%20single-payer%20quotes.htm

Obama speech at SEIU Health Care Forum 3-24-07

"My commitment is to make sure that we've got universal health care for all Americans by the end of my first term as President. I would hope that we set up a system that allows those who can go to their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some sort. But I don't think we are going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There is going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out."

Magox wants to point out that at your government doctor's appointment you will still get a lollipop if you're a good boy.

Edited by 4merper4mer

FLASHBACK: LIFE IMITATES SATIRE...
"And finally today, it looks like only 15 states have agreed to set up the health insurance exchanges mandated under Obamacare. That means the federal government will have to run the exchanges in the rest, but Congress has not allocated any funding for that purpose. A White House spokesman said the president is confident that his Secretary of Health and Human Services will be able to get the job done, since the only barriers are Constitutional ones."
-- From "PJ News Break with Scott Ott," Friday, Dec. 14, 2012

A White House spokesman said the president is confident that his Secretary of Health and Human Services will be able to get the job done, since the only barriers are Constitutional ones."

:lol:

Not content with screwing only most of the people, Obamacare now moves into pissing off the last few people who can least afford to pay more.

Until now, companies like mine (under 50 employees) found that our employees preferred to get off our company plan (too expensive for them to cover the cost for their family coverage) and get a personal plan which we would then reimburse them for, up to $500 per month per employee.

Effective today, companies like mine will not be permitted to reimburse employees for either insurance costs or medical costs. We either have to (A) increase the employee's pay to cover the cost (in my case, $6K a year per employee), on which we both also pay taxes, or (B) tell the employee they're on their own and not cover them at all.

Note to America: next time you vote for a president, try to stay away from anyone whose executive experience begins and ends with "asking people to have a meeting to discuss ways we don't do stupid schitt."

Not content with screwing only most of the people, Obamacare now moves into pissing off the last few people who can least afford to pay more.

Until now, companies like mine (under 50 employees) found that our employees preferred to get off our company plan (too expensive for them to cover the cost for their family coverage) and get a personal plan which we would then reimburse them for, up to $500 per month per employee.

Effective today, companies like mine will not be permitted to reimburse employees for either insurance costs or medical costs. We either have to (A) increase the employee's pay to cover the cost (in my case, $6K a year per employee), on which we both also pay taxes, or (B) tell the employee they're on their own and not cover them at all.

Note to America: next time you vote for a president, try to stay away from anyone whose executive experience begins and ends with "asking people to have a meeting to discuss ways we don't do stupid schitt."

I assume that's payroll taxes?

Frankly, I'm surprised it took them this long to close that loophole.

Apparently they still don't know what was in it, even after they passed it.

Well, you know the left...if it helps one person, it was worth making everyone else miserable.

I think the Republicans have developed several legislative options for fixing some of the most egregious aspects of the ACA, but we'll have to wait until they are passed to see what's in them....

Sail On, Oh Ship of State.

NYT: The Affordable Care Act turning out to be not so affordable.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/04/us/health-insurance-companies-seek-big-rate-increases-for-2016.html?referrer=

Damn Right-Wing papers................oh wait.............nevermind

The real NY Times headline, from 2011, should have been:

"Pharmaceutical companies jack up prices 200-2000%(on the front page)...

in return for going along with Obamacare(on page 36A)".

Hence...the headline you posted. My truthful headline is one cause of your post's effect.

I told the "per capita spending" jackass, 30 pages ago: the rates per utility of service WILL eventually reach a point where illegal side payments/deals between providers and patients become commonplace.

Rationing ALWAYS causes a black market. Jacking up prices beyond demand, by law, not market(like every greedy monarch in history?) ALWAYS causes a black market. What do you get when you do both, at the same time? A pervasive black market, in every state. Markets are markets, regardless of what color they are, and will always exist(see: War on Drugs). If somebody provides you with solid, reasonably priced health service vs. government gouging you for half-ass service? Are you really going to stay on Obamacare? Especially when half the people on your block are using the black market?

No. And we know this how? Easy: Prohibition.

See? Obamacare, only by working backwards of its intented design, will eventually break the hold of both insurance and government on health care, permanently. It's practically inevitable. Providers who price themselves out of the market via strict adherence to Obamacare, and/or their own idiotic quest to end 5% of their patients getting free ER care...in return 30% of their patients "paying" Medicaid reimbursement...will be shunned and fold. They will fold. This is math, not opinion.

Black market/end around Obamacare providers will succeed. The market, not government, will dictate.

This is why I love the SCOTUS decisions and all of it: the longer this abortion is allowed to continue unreformed, the more the concept of single payer/massively regulated insurance/government control is destroyed, the easier it will be for the black market to become pervasive, thus ending in the complete removal of both insurance and government from health care.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

‘So goes Slate, goes the nation’

How bad has it gotten for Obamacare? THIS bad:

slateLogo-S-facebookSquarex200_normal.jpSlate @Slate

Even Obamacare fans have to admit the law has failed to stop skyrocketing premiums. http://slate.me/1CyZijJ

Welcome to the party, pal.................An excerpt

The bill for the health care expansion is coming due, just as the recipients will be heading to the ballot box to vote in the first primaries for the 2016 election. More than a few are likely to be annoyed.
Last week Oregon’s insurance commissioner, Laura Cali
that the state had approved a 25 percent premium increase for the largest health insurer on the state’s exchanges. The second largest insurer did even better: It received permission to boost its monthly charge to consumers by 33 percent.

Who could have predicted such a thing?

l3r5Akro_normal.jpg

: Exchanges r disaster b/c not enough young ppl sign up.Next yr most companies will drop out or raise premiums

Premiums are going up for many in WI because of ObamaCare. We want to repeal it & put you back in charge. Burke wants to expand it in WI.

The Administration now claims that ObamaCare is working, because premiums are “only” rising by 6 or 8% per year. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/07/15/obama-18000-broken-promise/

Know how much Obamacare will raise your health insurance premiums? It isn't too late to stop it. #DefundObamacare

BTrLutzIMAEEwZZ.jpg

‘End-of-life counselling’: Death panels are back

by Betsey McCaughey

FTA:

Why is the government meddling with how we cope with death? The Institute of Medicine doesn’t mince words. Scrimping on seniors will free up money “to fund highly targeted and carefully tailored social services for both children and adults.” Just like ObamaCare. Robbing Grandma to spread the wealth.

In 2009, President Obama said seniors are getting too many procedures and maybe they’re “better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller.” Obama’s health guru Ezekiel Emanuel argues the elderly should be a lower priority because “they have already had more life-years.”

It’s the perfect storm of ideology and industry greed, with hospice providers lobbying lawmakers to make end-of-life counseling the standard.

Imported from Europe, the hospice industry has boomed — and taken a sharp turn from nonprofit to aggressively for-profit. Revenues are up 500 percent since 2000, and the industry is flexing its muscle in state capitols and Washington, DC.

In 2010, industry lobbyists convinced New York lawmakers to compel all doctors to offer end-of-life counseling to patients with terminal illnesses. New York’s law imposes heavy fines, even jail time, on doctors who don’t.

The state’s physicians protested that some patients will break down at the mention of hospice and give up on life. Other doctors have patients who are religiously or culturally opposed. But the law prohibits exemptions.

Advocates say end-of-life counseling is always voluntary for the patient. Technically that may be true, but if your doctor faces penalties for not doing it, you’re going to feel pressured to go along.

That was the problem with the end-of-life counseling provision in an early draft of ObamaCare in 2009. It said Medicare would pay doctors for end-of-life counseling. Fine.

But the bill went on to prescribe what doctors would have to discuss. That’s not fine.

Uncle Sam can’t possibly know better than your family, the doctor at your bedside and maybe your minister or rabbi.

And the provision would’ve punished doctors who didn’t go along, which the Institute of Medicine is calling for again.

A doctor’s quality rating (and pay from Medicare) would have depended partly on the proportion of patients who had advanced directives and how many adhered to them. Hardly voluntary if your doctor’s pay depends on your sticking to your “Do Not Resuscitate” order

more at link:

and here is a response to the column

Reform Hospice to Thwart ‘Death Panels’
by Wesley J Smith
Opposition to Obamacare needs to be robust, but also responsible. By taking an important issue and turning it into a conspiracy theory, McCaughey has led in the wrong direction.

Edited by B-Man