The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

I didn't have the luxury of shopping around when I needed to have a stent placed in my left anterior coronary artery. The total cost out of pocket was $50, including the procedure and an overnight stay. I can't even imagine what that would cost me today.

Why you cheap SOB! You didn't pay YOUR FAIR SHARE!

I have an employee having his gall bladder removed this morning in what is an expedited surgery. He didn't have time to shop around for gall bladder removal surgery, or put it out to bid, and he's about to eat it with his high deductible in a way that does absolutely nothing to make him think ACA was passed with his best interests in mind.

While I understand you're trying to see the bright side, it's just not as simple as shopping around for a better price. The law is hurting many more than it was ever designed to help.

You might argue that is the point of insurance, that is why people are required to have it, for these expensive emergent issues. I suppose he could have chosen a plan with a low deductible, ie gold level plan and avoided a deductible issue altogether. I am sure if queried that he will be glad he is out 5-6k, versus that 25k that procedure is actually bilked at, and that is just the facility, not including surgeon and anesthesia. Hopefully he is out his full deductible this year, but has relatively few issues for the next 10.

Just for discussion sake, do you know what his insurance situation was prior to the ACA being passed? I'm not contending it was better or worse, just would be interesting comparatively.

The ACA has been bittersweet for my wife and I, I suppose. On one hand we have individual polices we would not have prior to 2010... On the other, we have a fair amount of out of pocket costs due to ongoing health issues... It's been freeing, yet has also latched the shackles so to speak. Life's a B word.

Just for discussion sake, do you know what his insurance situation was prior to the ACA being passed? I'm not contending it was better or worse, just would be interesting comparatively.

Prior to ACA, my company covered all our employees and their families with a low-deductible HMO. Shortly after ACA was forced through Congress, we found covering all employees and their families quickly exceed 12% of our revenue, and it was simply no longer sustainable, so we did what many CA companies like mine did; we covered costs just for the employee, and allowed the employee to the difference for their family with pre-taxed dollars. That was too expensive for two of my employees; so they went with personal plans and we reimburse them for what we were paying for their policy up to $500/month.

But make no mistake...before ACA, we were all in a good spot. Yes, rates would increase, but we were able to shift policies around and make it work. Once ACA was passed, California plans went to the schittcan in an effort to move everyone to either join California Coverage, which is notoriously bad, or jump on Medicaid.

This employee years six figures, and his money management skills are troublesome at best, but the point remains...ACA sucks like a gatorman original thought, and it will continue to hurt more people than it was ever meant to help.

She's no longer a student, of course it's going to get more expensive and she'll shoulder more of the burden. That makes sense. The deductible amount is kind of a poor barometer of an exchange plan... Yes it's 6k, but if she is 24 it is very unlikely her care for the year will cost anything more than her monthly premium, which I'm guessing is pretty low.

I told her that now that she has a job, it's time to start paying her fair share!. She punched me.

It's kind of cliche to think that her (and her friends) were all about helping the unfortunate and re-distributin' the wealth until it was her wealth that was being taken. I expect more pain once her student loan payments kick in....

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST:

Hawaii’s state Obamacare exchange has failed, after over $200 million in federal taxpayer funding and many millions more of state funding.

The once-highly praised Hawaii Health Connector has been “unable to generate sufficient revenues to sustain operations,” Gov. David Ige’s office said in a statement. The federal Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) informed the exchange last week that federal funds were no longer available to support long-term operations. . . .

While many of the state’s Democrats praised the ObamaCare exchange when it launched in October 2013, it was riddled with trouble from the start. The web portal never worked properly despite the state spending $74 million on a contract with CGI to build and maintain it. . . .

Enrollment never reached the 300,000 number then-Gov. Neil Abercrombie, a Democrat, enthusiastically predicted at the opening press conference launching the Connector. The enrollment number also never hit 70,000, the minimum needed to stay financially solvent.
At its peak, enrollment reached 37,000, a fraction of the state’s 1.4 million people.
Hawaii’s uninsured population, at 8 percent when the exchange opened, dropped just 2 percent.

Yep–another rousing Obamacare success story–all the more reason for the Supreme Court to give effect to the law as written by the Democrats and rule that individuals in federal-run exchanges don’t qualify for subsidies.

I'm not sure why, but this article kinda has me shaking my head.

The Supreme Court should not have taken up the lawsuit challenging ObamaCare subsidies, President Obama said on Monday.

“This should be an easy case, frankly it shouldn't have even been taken up,” Obama said during a news conference at the Group of Seven (G-7) summit of leading industrial nations in Germany.

The Supreme Court is expected to hand down a decision this month in the King v. Burwell case, which threatens to eliminate subsidies for millions of Americans who receive their health insurance from federal exchanges.

Obama rejected the basis for the challenge and said it is “well documented” that the authors of the Affordable Care Act “never intended” to block people on federal exchanges from obtaining the subsidies.

If only he took the time to, y'know, read the law before he passed it.

I'm not sure why, but this article kinda has me shaking my head.

If only he took the time to, y'know, read the law before he passed it.

Obviously this is just too damn complicated and the thing was only written and passed hastily because the idiots in Mass elected Scott Brown. Single payer and higher taxes on the rich is the only way to solve the problem. Without that we are all doomed.

I told her that now that she has a job, it's time to start paying her fair share!. She punched me.

It's kind of cliche to think that her (and her friends) were all about helping the unfortunate and re-distributin' the wealth until it was her wealth that was being taken. I expect more pain once her student loan payments kick in....

I'm often shocked how poorly kids coming out of "College" are for actual life and reality... Lots of knowledge, little of it meaningful or practical. Between rent, Heathcare premiums, student loans and maybe a car loan it's funny how little kids care to pay more and more taxes.

Prior to ACA, my company covered all our employees and their families with a low-deductible HMO. Shortly after ACA was forced through Congress, we found covering all employees and their families quickly exceed 12% of our revenue, and it was simply no longer sustainable, so we did what many CA companies like mine did; we covered costs just for the employee, and allowed the employee to the difference for their family with pre-taxed dollars. That was too expensive for two of my employees; so they went with personal plans and we reimburse them for what we were paying for their policy up to $500/month.

But make no mistake...before ACA, we were all in a good spot. Yes, rates would increase, but we were able to shift policies around and make it work. Once ACA was passed, California plans went to the schittcan in an effort to move everyone to either join California Coverage, which is notoriously bad, or jump on Medicaid.

This employee years six figures, and his money management skills are troublesome at best, but the point remains...ACA sucks like a gatorman original thought, and it will continue to hurt more people than it was ever meant to help.

Would you estimate the problem is mostly ACA, or poor preperation and fiscal management by individuals.

Gatorman original thought... he's never had one of those....

It got me thinking, prior to the ACA, I'm not doing what I'm doing today. At the same time, the cost of our plan makes what we're doing nearly impossible to get started. My experience so far, bittersweet.

Would you estimate the problem is mostly ACA, or poor preperation and fiscal management by individuals.

I think if you read what I wrote, you'll see ACA was the reason we could no longer carry employees and their families. After that, it didn't matter whether the employee was good or bad at fiscal management. What the employee knows is that the ACA did NOT reduce their insurance costs by the promised $2500/year.

It increased their costs because they weren't paying for coverage for their family before.

It got me thinking, prior to the ACA, I'm not doing what I'm doing today. At the same time, the cost of our plan makes what we're doing nearly impossible to get started. My experience so far, bittersweet.

A good thing about the ACA is that it helped me realize just how much I was taking my employer's health insurance benefits for granted, as well as helping the company recruit more candidates. Interviewees pay attention to the benefits as well as the salary offered.

I'm often shocked how poorly kids coming out of "College" are for actual life and reality... Lots of knowledge, little of it meaningful or practical. Between rent, Heathcare premiums, student loans and maybe a car loan it's funny how little kids care to pay more and more taxes.

You can have all kinds of classroom, textbook, and theoretical knowledge, but that doesn't amount to squat when it comes to living in the real world, so most college kids can't be expected to have a clue of how things really work. Add to that the fact that most college kids aren't paying the bills for their healthcare, student loans, car loans, or even rent - someone else often provides them - so why not support supplementing them with tax dollars?

They won't understand until they begin to raise children of their own. And even then, there's no guarantee.

Gatorman original thought... he's never had one of those....

Oh? Didn't know you were holding a grudge, too? I never would have had the idea to take a shot at you out of no where, but whatever.

Your shocked at how people with no experience at something are not good at it? You are a complete idiot.

Edited by gatorman

Oh? Didn't know you were holding a grudge, too? I never would have had the idea to take a shot at you out of no where, but whatever.

Your shocked at how people with no experience at something are not good at it? You are a complete idiot.

My god, stop being a vagina.