The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

The latest government sponsored research involves getting a feminist viewpoint on why glaciers melt.

That was last month.

The latest government-sponsored research has discovered that the basic physical principle of axial precession is caused by global warming.

That was last month.

The latest government-sponsored research has discovered that the basic physical principle of axial precession is caused by global warming.

So I take it that means that there was a greater tilt to the Earth's axis during the Mesozoic era than there is now, and less during the ice ages?

So I take it that means that there was a greater tilt to the Earth's axis during the Mesozoic era than there is now, and less during the ice ages?

I dunno. I just read the headline and shook my head.

Later I might put a gyroscope in the freezer, and see if the spin axis precesses any differently.

Point was, when you post so much propaganda, why take anything he post seriously at all?

It is not propaganda to post that the ACA has not saved families $2500, that the state exchanges haven't mostly failed, that coverage choices are actually fewer than before it was enacted or that jobs and/or working hours have been reduced as a result of the legislation. All are true.

Figures you wouldn't know. It's the proper term, but I'm sure you're just kidding me, you're so learned.

As to "excess dollars" you mean the hundreds of millions of dollars that are sunk costs when drugs have trials run worldwide and fall short of FDA approval causing the companies to walk away with nothing but a financial loss? Those costs?

Oh, you mean the payoffs to MDs so they'll prescribe the company's drugs? Pharma reps can't hardly give a Dr. a pen or a coffee cup these days.

The number of drugs that are brought to market is a reflection of market forces. Pharms often shut down promising studies because their internal marketing studies foretell they will not recoup the development, packaging, distribution, and marketing costs. Or the patent will run out before they can bring it to market and the jackal generic manufacturers will copy their intellectual property without doing a pennies worth of R&D. That's fair.

The NIH does sponsor drug discovery already.

nope never heard it used before. my suspicion is that it's a phrase used by policy wonks and industry types. never heard it in a lecture or clinical conversation. seems awkward and counterintuitive..but whatever...

excess dollars means the huge number of dollars over and above what single payer countries pay for the same or similar (and equally efficacious drugs). it's billions.

I'd rather those billions be directed to drugs based on likely benefit to society as a whole rather than on what will produce a profit. loser drugs are part of the deal, whether the funding is from gov't or private sector. it just hurts less to lose money in this manner when it's being directed at the greater good than when it's being directed at the most profitanble productrs and ultimately, in lining big pharma execs and shareholders pockets.

it's a case study for why "for profit" medicine is inefficient. that American patients are funding the lions share of this wasteful r&d while already paying more per capita than any other country in the world for healthcare is especially galling

oh, and doctors are still paidf off by big pharma. go to the pro publica site and search pharma doctor payments. then search medicare doctor prescribing. there's an amazing correlation between those taking big pharma payments (most often in the form of "research" payments) and the percentage of brand name drugs prescribed. my personal experience anecdotally shows that big pharma payments and sleaziness are directly correlated among colleagues..

https://www.propublica.org/series/dollars-for-docs

Edited by birdog1960

Uh... stupid unrelated question that I didn't want to start a new thread for so I'm cramming it into this one. Apologies in advance:

Does anyone else have the issue where the threads in PPP are suddenly grayed out (as if they've been read even though they haven't)? It's been happening to me a lot the past week, but only on PPP not OTW or TSW. I'll jump on and it'll look like there is nothing new. If anyone has a fix for this and feels like helping a rhino out, shoot me a PM.

Thanks -- back to the ACA...

Surely, you can't be serious.

Of course he's serious and you can call him Shirley anytime.

Uh... stupid unrelated question that I didn't want to start a new thread for so I'm cramming it into this one. Apologies in advance:

Does anyone else have the issue where the threads in PPP are suddenly grayed out (as if they've been read even though they haven't)? It's been happening to me a lot the past week, but only on PPP not OTW or TSW. I'll jump on and it'll look like there is nothing new. If anyone has a fix for this and feels like helping a rhino out, shoot me a PM.

Time to tweak your medical marijuana strain. I suggest you get off the Alien Kush and try some sweet Headband.

Are you signed in?