The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

seemed an odd metaphor for a libertarian.

HOA's and banning people from internet forums both fit very snugly inside of a libertarian philosophy.

The HOA is a known commodity when purchasing a home, and you contractually obligate yourself to them. Nothing wrong with that.

And internet forum is privately owned and operated, and you have no right to post or participate. The owners and operators are free to suspend anyone's privileges at any point. Nothing wrong with that either.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

My sincere wish as someone who enjoys this community.

If this were a gated community, the HOA would have forced you out almost immediately for taking huge steaming ***** all over your neighbors yards.

Yes, and the dirty deeds were done while people were watching.

HOA's and banning people from internet forums both fit very snugly inside of a libertarian philosophy.

The HOA is a known commodity when purchasing a home, and you contractually obligate yourself to them. Nothing wrong with that.

And internet forum is privately owned an operated, and you have no right to post or participate. The owners and operates are free to suspend anyone's privileges at any point. Nothing wrong with that either.

Weak argument. But I guess that's the point. You are weak and need help

Holy Christ, you're an idiot. :lol:

You either don't understand hoa's, libertarians, or both.

C'mon, really? The list of things he understands is shorter.

Take it easy, you guys - don't scare him off. This was starting to get entertaining.

i don't need to lie to point out the silliness of your libertarian nonsense. Seriously

Don't mind them. Please, do go on.

You either don't understand hoa's, libertarians, or both.

I understand hoa's. they're generally ruled by a group of busybodies that have nothing better to do than complain about their neighbors. and they perseverate on minutiae. why a libertarian would ever consider being part of such an arrangement is beyond me. isn't the base word "liberty"? hoa's and liberty are like oil and water. unless, secretly, liberterians want to lord over others like hoa boards often do. that seems feasible.

I understand hoa's. they're generally ruled by a group of busybodies that have nothing better to do than complain about their neighbors. and they perseverate on minutiae. why a libertarian would ever consider being part of such an arrangement is beyond me. isn't the base word "liberty"? hoa's and liberty are like oil and water. unless, secretly, liberterians want to lord over others like hoa boards often do. that seems feasible.

Ok so you don't know how an HOA generally works. Thanks for the confirmation.

what about restrictive covenants escapes your understanding? do you like the idea that your house can be one of 3 shades of green and your lawn cut to a certain height variance? does that sound like liberty to you? perhaps we should define liberty.

I contend that restrictive and liberty are antonyms.

Edited by birdog1960

But,

he does seem to grasp the clichéd, comic book version of them.

Kind of like his statements about conservatives.

what about restrictive covenants escapes your understanding? do you like the idea that your house can be one of 3 shades of green and your lawn cut to a certain height variance? does that sound like liberty to you? perhaps we should define liberty.

Well let's see. All of that is disclosed in the CC&R's when I bought my house so if I don't like that I guess it's all on me. But let's talk about the other things provided by the HOA

1. Potentially covers the care and maintenance of the outside of my home if it's a townhome or condo

2. Maintains all the landscape

3. Maintains the roads if it's a gated community

4. Maintains the pool, spa, gym etc

5. Provides security

6. Pays for a doorman if I live in a condo in the city

7. Pays someone to park my car and possibly bring in my groceries

That's just off the top of my head. So saying it's a bunch of busy bodies getting into my business you have a very simplistic and naïve idea of what an HOA is/does.

And seeing the colors of the houses and the ****ty landscaping of some of my non-HOA regulated neighbors I kind of like the rules and regulations.

But,

he does seem to grasp the clichéd, comic book version of them.

Kind of like his statements about conservatives.

you mean like the comic book contracts I've reviewed from houses in hoa restricted areas that I briefly considered buying?

I read several where trees and shrubs had to be approved. outside light too. NO vegetable patches. seems there were many NO's. again, seems antithetical to liberty.

Edited by birdog1960

Liberty includes the freedom to enter into restrictive contracts as one desires.

Well let's see. All of that is disclosed in the CC&R's when I bought my house so if I don't like that I guess it's all on me. But let's talk about the other things provided by the HOA

1. Potentially covers the care and maintenance of the outside of my home if it's a townhome or condo

2. Maintains all the landscape

3. Maintains the roads if it's a gated community

4. Maintains the pool, spa, gym etc

5. Provides security

6. Pays for a doorman if I live in a condo in the city

7. Pays someone to park my car and possibly bring in my groceries

That's just off the top of my head. So saying it's a bunch of busy bodies getting into my business you have a very simplistic and naïve idea of what an HOA is/does.

And seeing the colors of the houses and the ****ty landscaping of some of my non-HOA regulated neighbors I kind of like the rules and regulations.

to each his own. seems when it come to where to live, i'm more libertarian than many here. yet i'm a liberal...hmmm.