The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

In other words, you just made it up. Out of curiosity how would you have them pay for the R&D performed by American pharmaceuticals?

It is quite possible that within the patent period they would go up. What is certain is that when the patent period ends, the generic makers come in and they drop by 50-60%.

Make it up? What else could completely ignoring this problem be but condoning it, albeit silently? You may be content with giving the rest of the developed world handouts at the expense of suffering Americans, but I am not.

Force them to stop price fixing.

Edited by FireChan

Make it up? What else could completely ignoring this problem be but condoning it, albeit silently? You may be content with giving the rest of the developed world handouts at the expense of suffering Americans, but I am not.

Force them to stop price fixing.

So how are you going to force them to stop price fixing? :lol:

No one gets Rx drugs without doctors.

Doctors are the gatekeeper to drugs like lawyers are the gatekeeper to lawsuits.

People need medications to treat diseases they have, which they can/will not control by other means.

How do we stop anybody from doing anything?

You aren't going to have other countries change their core tenet of how they control their costs simply because it is affecting our healthcare system.

I'm interested in real solutions, not unrealistic temper tantrums.

You aren't going to have other countries change their core tenet of how they control their costs simply because it is affecting our healthcare system.

I'm interested in real solutions, not unrealistic temper tantrums.

Until we stop paying for the rest of the world, there isn't one.

Until we stop paying for the rest of the world, there isn't one.

Of course there are solutions to help bring down drug prices while maintaining free market principles, your focus is too narrow. Too often people believe there are silver bullet solutions to problems, where in reality it requires a confluence of factors to address them.

Of course there are solutions to help bring down drug prices while maintaining free market principles, your focus is too narrow. Too often people believe there are silver bullet solutions to problems, where in reality it requires a confluence of factors to address them.

A confluence of factors.....except changing price fixing.

Pray tell how the US can change "price fixing" and dictate terms to other sovereign nations

Lol, yes how oh how will the US ever dictate terms to anybody? Gee, we have never ever done that before. It's impossible.

We have nothing to bargain with, eh?

Edited by FireChan

Lol, yes how oh how will the US ever dictate terms to anybody? Gee, we have never ever done that before. It's impossible.

We're the rich country so we should pay more. It's only fair that other countries with lesser means pay less for the same drugs.

So what you are really saying is that you don't have an answer. Got it

So what you are really saying is that you don't have an answer. Got it

What I'm saying, which you clearly don't understand, is that to act as though the world's remaining Superpower has to throw their hands up when other sovereign nations are actively harming Americans is incorrect.

Just let the rest of the world walk all over us. You should run for President.

Can you think of a single way the US can make another country pay more for an importer American product?

Edited by FireChan

The U.S. can invoke the nuclear option by insisting on most favored nation status for drug pricing - U.S.pays at the same rate as the cheapest rate on another market. That would stall a lot of medical innovation until prices settle into equilibrium. Could also lead to trade wars. No easy solution.

What I'm saying, which you clearly don't understand, is that to act as though the world's remaining Superpower has to throw their hands up when other sovereign nations are actively harming Americans is incorrect.

Just let the rest of the world walk all over us. You should run for President.

Can you think of a single way the US can make another country pay more for an importer American product?

I'll play along, provide me a scenario, pick a country and how would a negotiation look like? What would the demands look like, what do they get if anything and what do we get? And by we, are we talking about the pharmaceuticals or who? and if they didn't agree then what?

I provided one of my solutions, the argument was sound and it would very likely bring down drug prices without any real affect on R & D. Let's hear out how a FireChan negotiation would look like.

Edited by Magox

Pharmas could refuse to sell their products to certain markets. But who does that hurt, especially when they can recover their costs by simply putting it in the price that the US consumers pay. But that's ridiculous. Like disease, the issues are more complex than simply thinking generics are the be all wrt drug pricing. Most pharmas are global entities. Maybe the FDA should tell the likes of Sanofi, Astra Zeneca, and Glaxo Smith Kline that they can't sell their drugs here for a penny more than they get for them in Canada, or Europe.