Personnel Decisions Looming for Bills in 2015

YoloinOhio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of priority for me (assuming cost benefit)

23 gotta keep

55 hope to keep

22 keep as situational back like Kevin Faulk

99 depends on price, intermittent "want to"

28 think Reggie bush, just less versatile .... Time to move on from one dimensional players

The Bills should make a move on locking up AW sooner than later.

Hughes is in an interesting spot. Does he command top dollar for his position or not?

I agree that Fred Jackson can be just like Kevin Faulk for us. I think he has 3 more years left.

Use the rookie option on Dareus, but be prepared to give him a big contract. Yes he has more growing up to do, but he can be a monster in the D-Line for us. We need him.

I like Spiller a lot, and although he didn't have the year we were hoping for, I think we need to do the best we can at keeping him.

I think, because of this, they will not extend him beyond his 1 year built in extension option. Marrone will probably like to see him get a little more mature. That's just my opinion on the subject. :thumbsup:

For me, if it is between Marrone and Dareus, at this point it is easy to say Dareus stays Marrone walks. I doubt Marrone has this type of clout with Whaley anyways, no way the FO should let a player like Dareus go at the advice of a first time HC.

I think there's 1 draft, 2 FA periods, and 1 full season between then and now, which absolutely will change the thinking.

So, it's pointless to speculate. At the very least, we should wait until this FA and Draft are over, before we start signing anybody up for long-term anything. Once again, I don't see how any player, on a losing team, can say he deserves more than the league average at his position. You want the money?

Show me the wins.

Dareus had better learn, and learn quick: Marrone will get rid of his ass, and he is the one that will suffer the most from that eventuality, not Marrone, or Whaley. Precisely because: Yes, Albert Haynesworth is fresh in EVERBODY's mind. Nobody wants a guy who gets labeled as uncommitted. Or, if they do, they will only pay half or less what Dareus is worth. And, that's everybody, because everybody has fans, who will all say the same thing = "don't want to overpay for a turd". Dareus will trap himself with his own bad behavior. Whether any of this is true...doesn't matter! Not at all. EVERY team will use it, regardless, to underpay Dareus. Period.

Whaley has proven he can draft. Ever since he's been here the drafts have been quite good. If Carrington had played this year, you'd all be saying the same. So, Dareus better watch his step. It's not like we don't have serviceable DTs already on this team, and, it's not like we can't go get more.

Ask Jason Peters and Demetress Bell, and then ask Cordy Glenn, if they think the Bills can't replace them.

This isn't the old days. This is now, and the people we have drafting, and certainly doing the FA thing(see Branch), now can replace: anybody.

Trying to compare this group of managers/coaches, with the past is just flat out silly. Nothing is the same. Nothing will be the same.

You might as well abandon all hope of using that lazy approach to thinking about the Bills.

My favorite part of "now until march 2015"? All that cap space we have. We have a ton, and a cap floor, to insure we spend it. I have a feeling it's going to be like Christmas morning for the O line guys here during FA.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I think there's 2 drafts, 2 FA periods, and a full season between then and now, which absolutely will change the thinking.

So, it's pointless to speculate. At the very least, we should wait until this FA and Draft are over, before we start signing anybody up for long-term anything. Once again, I don't see how any player, on a losing team, can say he deserves more than the league average at his position. You want the money?

Show me the wins.

Dareus had better learn, and learn quick: Marrone will get rid of his ass, and he is the one that will suffer the most from that eventuality, not Marrone, or Whaley. Precisely because: Yes, Albert Haynesworth is fresh in EVERBODY's mind. Nobody wants a guy who gets labeled as uncommitted. Or, if they do, they will only pay half or less what Dareus is worth. And, that's everybody, because everybody has fans, who will all say the same thing = "don't want to overpay for a turd". Dareus will trap himself with his own bad behavior. Whether any of this is true...doesn't matter! Not at all. EVERY team will use it, regardless, to underpay Dareus. Period.

Whaley has proven he can draft. Ever since he's been here the drafts have been quite good. If Carrington had played this year, you'd all be saying the same. So, Dareus better watch his step. It's not like we don't have serviceable DTs already on this team, and, it's not like we can't go get more.

Ask Jason Peters and Demetress Bell, and then ask Cordy Glenn, if they think the Bills can't replace them.

This isn't the old days. This is now, and the people we have drafting, and certainly doing the FA thing(see Branch), now can replace: anybody.

Trying to compare this group of managers/coaches, with the past is just flat out silly. Nothing is the same. Nothing will be the same.

You might as well abandon all hope of using that lazy approach to thinking about the Bills.

You seem very sure about this.

I do agree that our drafts have gotten better, and if we are lucky we have another good one coming up.

Free agency will be key this offseason, do the Bills come out aggressive and target any big names, or do they go the quiet & subtle route like they did last year?

I think there's 2 drafts, 2 FA periods, and a full season between then and now, which absolutely will change the thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them have their contracts reworked throughout the 2014 season(thus eliminating a draft, FA period and part of a season) as that has pretty much been the focus of the Bills in recent times. KW, SJ, Wood, Branch.....and if my memory serves, they wanted to sign Levitre and Byrd during season(last year) but couldn't agree on money.

I think most are a bit harsh on spiller. Combine poor o line with high ankle sprain and dumb play calling that uses him like a fullback and he still had some great runs that kept us in games, Cleveland,kc,Atlanta.

I consider two of his three problems fixable.

We're gonna be stuck with poor play design and calling for awhile my friends..

I think if anyone among those players is allowed to walk it is Spiller. The fact that the Bills allowed he and Fred to come due in the same year suggests the Bills didn't believe that Freddie was going to be around or he would be a role player. You have to love FJ for his hard play but if he is looking for a huge contract no way do the Bills give it to him.

Joe B. breaks down - 99, 28, 23, 22, 55:

http://www.wgr550.co...-drive/18125000

#99 - will be tagged

#28 - not a free agent until 2016. by then he will be used up.

#23- will be kept as Byrd's replacement.

#22- bills lifer, will sign a reasonable extension.

#55 - if he has another 10 sack season, we won't be able to afford his asking price and will be gone.

Joe B. breaks down - 99, 28, 23, 22, 55:

http://www.wgr550.co...-drive/18125000

Yeah I saw that. Despite the supposed work ethic concerns, I think we absolutely need to retain Dareus. He's a monster, and if this is the type of year he has when he's not "trying" imagine what he can do when motivated.

Sticking with that draft, they should extend AW now while he's affordable. If he plays as well next year as he did this year, he could be due for a hefty contract. He was very good when not making stupid penalties IMO.

The Spiller/FJ situation will be interesting. It depends who else is added to the roster I guess, I can certainly see FJ being resigned on the cheap as he will Ralph WIlson's age in RB years. I think the odds are against us keeping Spiller, but who knows.

I'm betting Hughes will test FA if he has another big year, but I think his talent is overrated. The 10 sacks are nice, but he is one dimensional and is thriving of Pettine's system. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Bills go after a guy like Barr (if he's there), who is a better pass rusher, and certainly a better overall LB. I compare Hughes to a Mark Anderson. He can rush the passer well in the right system, but isn't necessarily a great talent.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think most are a bit harsh on spiller. Combine poor o line with high ankle sprain and dumb play calling that uses him like a fullback and he still had some great runs that kept us in games, Cleveland,kc,Atlanta.

I consider two of his three problems fixable.

We're gonna be stuck with poor play design and calling for awhile my friends..

He's been in the league 4 years, how much time does he get to fix his problems? I'm not necessarily anti-Spiller, but it's something of a quandary as he obviously has amazing skills but has struggled to produce regularly with them. Also factoring in is his inability to stay on the field, whether it's due to injury or getting "winded".

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Could not agree more. He looked like a top safety this year. And he can fill in at corner if the team is desperate. I really hope they are proactive with him.

Agreed. I think that AW's versatility makes him super attractive.

I started a thread on here a few weeks ago that if I had a choice between re-signing Byrd or Williams, I would chose Williams. Just give him the deal that Byrd won't take.

I think, because of this, they will not extend him beyond his 1 year built in extension option. Marrone will probably like to see him get a little more mature. That's just my opinion on the subject. :thumbsup:

i also think, with a guy that may have motivation difficulties, keeping the carrot in front of him the extra year isnt a terrible thing.

I started a thread on here a few weeks ago that if I had a choice between re-signing Byrd or Williams, I would chose Williams. Just give him the deal that Byrd won't take.

based on that statement, are you of the mindset that we should overpay williams or are low balling byrd? theres no way they should be offered the same deal.

I think the current regime has done a terrible job in using Spiller's talents. I would not be surprised if they let him go after his contract ends, and he will end up on a team whose OC will not keep bockheadedly running him between the tackles.

Even with his injuries this season, and the braindead play calling, he had decent production. He has a good attitude and is a good citizen--no Marshawn Lynch. I expect him to star for another team. All you who want to dump him, be careful what you wish for.

This is a classic Bills scenario.

I think the current regime has done a terrible job in using Spiller's talents. I would not be surprised if they let him go after his contract ends, and he will end up on a team whose OC will not keep bockheadedly running him between the tackles.

Even with his injuries this season, and the braindead play calling, he had decent production. He has a good attitude and is a good citizen--no Marshawn Lynch. I expect him to star for another team. All you who want to dump him, be careful what you wish for.

This is a classic Bills scenario.

I do not think he has been utilized correctly, but not sure why that is. Injury? Poor understanding of the offense (this was the case early on with Chad as well, IIRC)? I also like Spiller a lot as a talent, and as a person. I would like him to stay if they can work together to be more productive with him. I do wonder if he isn't replaceable though, at a cheaper rate, with a younger guy.... whether or not he does sign somewhere else and become an all-pro. All I am worried about is how the person in the RB role helps the Bills win, and if they can draft a guy who who can play more than he does and be more productive consistently, in this offense, and have more $ to sign other guys plus have a younger player, it may make sense.

That is quite the Sophie's choice. Williams versatility might be better but Byrd is a game changer. Then again, Williams was a game changer this year as well and it didn't look like a fluke. Hell, Byrd gave Williams credit for one of his interceptions for noticing something on the play and keying him in on it. With it being uncertain on where Byrd's heart or head is right now, it almost makes me lean towards Williams. But then Byrd has been consistently great, the other guys love him by all accounts and he has earned a big contract. I honestly couldn't choose right now. Interesting thread topic though.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall