Personnel Decisions Looming for Bills in 2015

YoloinOhio

That is quite the Sophie's choice. Williams versatility might be better but Byrd is a game changer. Then again, Williams was a game changer this year as well and it didn't look like a fluke. Hell, Byrd gave Williams credit for one of his interceptions for noticing something on the play and keying him in on it. With it being uncertain on where Byrd's heart or head is right now, it almost makes me lean towards Williams. But then Byrd has been consistently great, the other guys love him by all accounts and he has earned a big contract. I honestly couldn't choose right now. Interesting thread topic though.

the only reason that williams is more versatile, is that hes more replaceable at safety. otherwise, generally speaking, id venture byrd can get after it at corner just as well (which honestly speaking on both would be inconsistent and why they are corners turned safety)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or later

Yeah, no problem with that by me...but, to me the 4th round is the line of demarcation when it comes to potential and finding that real diamond in the rough or the one that most have overlooked but reveals himself to be quite good. Now, you have the Arian Fosters and Jamaal Charles' of the NFL uinverse that wind up being extremely good, but all in all, I think the 4th round is where you have your greatest potential of finding that special talent that goes largely unnoticed until...he hits the NFL in the mouth. And I think RB poses an interesting opportunity for that to be true, especially for the BILLS this year. With FJax coming back and Spiller being a bit of an enigma you could very well find or unearth that RB talent that will help carry the RB workload for the BILLS over the next four to five years. If, a big IF, that were the case, 4th round value is all the more well spent. Once the 5th round arrives, Kyle Williams not withstanding, it generally becomes a much greater risk and I would rather see a secured RB solution for the future.

the only reason that williams is more versatile, is that hes more replaceable at safety. otherwise, generally speaking, id venture byrd can get after it at corner just as well (which honestly speaking on both would be inconsistent and why they are corners turned safety)

I would disagree with your interpretation of versatile. I think Byrd is better at as of right now but the difference in the level of their play at safety was not that big. I believe Williams is much better at corner than Byrd could be. Byrd's speed would be a severe hindrance to him which was one of the reasons he was moved to safety. Williams was moved not because of athleticism but because his technique was lacking. I'm personally more confident when I see Williams lined up covering tight ends or 3rd/4th receivers than when Byrd does. But no one plays center field like Byrd right now. I hope we can somehow manage to keep both. Pay Byrd top dollar and try to get Williams locked into an extension which pays him well enough to be happy because my guess is he will outplay it.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Yeah, no problem with that by me...but, to me the 4th round is the line of demarcation when it comes to potential and finding that real diamond in the rough or the one that most have overlooked but reveals himself to be quite good. Now, you have the Arian Fosters and Jamaal Charles' of the NFL uinverse that wind up being extremely good, but all in all, I think the 4th round is where you have your greatest potential of finding that special talent that goes largely unnoticed until...he hits the NFL in the mouth. And I think RB poses an interesting opportunity for that to be true, especially for the BILLS this year. With FJax coming back and Spiller being a bit of an enigma you could very well find or unearth that RB talent that will help carry the RB workload for the BILLS over the next four to five years. If, a big IF, that were the case, 4th round value is all the more well spent. Once the 5th round arrives, Kyle Williams not withstanding, it generally becomes a much greater risk and I would rather see a secured RB solution for the future.

True.. the later round picks and UDFAs truly show the strength of the scouting dept.

I wonder what Dareus' trade value would be in terms of a draft pick in 2014. Maybe a late first rounder?

I'm not saying that I want the Bills to trade him, I'm just wondering what kind of player we'd get in return. Seems to me a top TE or OT or OG would be there in the late first.

True.. the later round picks and UDFAs truly show the strength of the scouting dept.

Also true...and it has puzzled me basically since Kyle Williams Draft year how the BILLS can Draft a guy like Kyle Williams in the 5th and SJ in the 7th, not to mention UDFAs like the previously heralded Jason Peters and David Nelson while he was here, only to whiff on guys like Aaron Maybin....and I know Maybin and Whitner have been talked about ad nauseum, I just mention them to highlight how well the BILLS have done in the aforementioned later rounds and UDFAs...boggles the mind really.

Also true...and it has puzzled me basically since Kyle Williams Draft year how the BILLS can Draft a guy like Kyle Williams in the 5th and SJ in the 7th, not to mention UDFAs like the previously heralded Jason Peters and David Nelson while he was here, only to whiff on guys like Aaron Maybin....and I know Maybin and Whitner have been talked about ad nauseum, I just mention them to highlight how well the BILLS have done in the aforementioned later rounds and UDFAs...boggles the mind really.

Happens with every team, but yeah....

I saw this in the comments section of the article about Dareus, does any one know if this is true?

Darius' brother was MURDERED and he has issues leaving the protection of his home because of it. He's not out boozing or playing video games. He's struggling with a phobia that can be cured.

Not the part about his brother but the part about the phobia, I had not heard that before. If so, that is not a maturity thing.

I saw this in the comments section of the article about Dareus, does any one know if this is true?

Not the part about his brother but the part about the phobia, I had not heard that before. If so, that is not a maturity thing.

there was an interview last year where he acknowledged that with so much death in his immediate inner circle, it took him months to feel comfortable getting on with day to day life.

based on that statement, are you of the mindset that we should overpay williams or are low balling byrd? theres no way they should be offered the same deal.

I am presuming they are low-balling Byrd. I wouldn't be surprised if Byrd wants top dollar, and the Bills are more in the top 6 or 7-- but that's pure speculation.

Does Williams justify top-6 or 7 money at safety? If he plays next year like he did this year, he will get that money on the market.

That is quite the Sophie's choice. Williams versatility might be better but Byrd is a game changer. Then again, Williams was a game changer this year as well and it didn't look like a fluke. Hell, Byrd gave Williams credit for one of his interceptions for noticing something on the play and keying him in on it. With it being uncertain on where Byrd's heart or head is right now, it almost makes me lean towards Williams. But then Byrd has been consistently great, the other guys love him by all accounts and he has earned a big contract. I honestly couldn't choose right now. Interesting thread topic though.

I would love to keep them both too. But I can't see the Bills spending that kind of money on both safety positions. It would mean making Byrd the highest or second highest paid safety in the league, and giving Williams top-10 money.

I am presuming they are low-balling Byrd. I wouldn't be surprised if Byrd wants top dollar, and the Bills are more in the top 6 or 7-- but that's pure speculation.

Does Williams justify top-6 or 7 money at safety? If he plays next year like he did this year, he will get that money on the market.

I would love to keep them both too. But I can't see the Bills spending that kind of money on both safety positions. It would mean making Byrd the highest or second highest paid safety in the league, and giving Williams top-10 money.

Agreed. As much as it stinks that we'll probably lose one, this is still a favorable position to be in. Choosing between two guys who could both be tops in the league (if Williams continues to perform) is better than not having one.

Modrak leaves the draft room after the first round