Marrone and the TE Position

jjmac

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the crowd that would like to see the Bills re-sign Chandler. Throwing those 20-25 yard passes to Chandler in the seam was a real strength of Manuel's, and I would actually like to see the team look to bring in another quality pass-catching TE to compliment Chandler. Brady has shown over the years how productive an offense can be with multiple TE options.

I like Chandler and want to keep him but I'm also bringing in three TEs Jace Amaro, A Seferian-Jenkins, and Colt Lyerla- everybody wants that huge fast WR like Calvin Johnson but those guys are hard to find and if you actually hit on one they will eventually cost you a mint to keep (I can get 3 Jason Wittens for the price of a Calvin Johnson) - so I'm thinking maybe you can live with with smaller quicker WRs if you have some pretty high quality all around TEs who can keep the chains moving and occasionally bust the middle seam. Yes before anybody asks you will have to use the 2nd and 3rd to move back into the bottom of the 1st ahead of New England to get A Seferian-Jenkins. My starting five would be SJ, Goodwin, Jace Amaro (or the winner between the rookie TEs) Chandler and Spiller.

I agree with Kirby. In the heat a battle he failed. You can not justify that if you want to be a super bowl team. That's what we want to build to. If he played for N.E. he would be on the bench. The same with Stevie. Dropped passes when needed. Don't want to hear it. You know what they get paid. His drop in the Pitts. game last year still makes me sick. Trade both. There are hungry players out there that want jobs.

Maybe not lost faith, but I'm not sure why he's so effusive about a group that has been so underwhelming in Buffalo for over a decade. Maybe Moeaki can regain his form, but what makes him so confident that Chandler will be a better player?

I agree.

I have just seen a lot of cliff-jumping on here over pretty minor stuff. Someone said they would lose all faith in the organization if they didn's re-sign Thad!! :D

I like Chandler and want to keep him but I'm also bringing in three TEs Jace Amaro, A Seferian-Jenkins, and Colt Lyerla- everybody wants that huge fast WR like Calvin Johnson but those guys are hard to find and if you actually hit on one they will eventually cost you a mint to keep (I can get 3 Jason Wittens for the price of a Calvin Johnson) - so I'm thinking maybe you can live with with smaller quicker WRs if you have some pretty high quality all around TEs who can keep the chains moving and occasionally bust the middle seam. Yes before anybody asks you will have to use the 2nd and 3rd to move back into the bottom of the 1st ahead of New England to get A Seferian-Jenkins. My starting five would be SJ, Goodwin, Jace Amaro (or the winner between the rookie TEs) Chandler and Spiller.

I like it, and posted in another thread that a rookie TE stud paired with chandler would be a red zone nightmare. I also like the idea of having the top 3 gone before NE picks. Why no Ebron on your TE list?

I agree.

I have just seen a lot of cliff-jumping on here over pretty minor stuff. Someone said they would lose all faith in the organization if they didn's re-sign Thad!! :D

I would be one of the cliff jumpers if they resign Thad.

Considering he's signed through 2014 already.

Chandler has proved to be an adequate receiving threat. The Bills need a true dynamic receiving threat who is "open when he is not". That player could be a WR or a TE, I don't think it matters.

For what I expect Chandler to command on the FA market, I very much hope that the Bills can re-sign him. However, if he gets BIG money, then I don't think that they should match that kind of offer....

I would be one of the cliff jumpers if they resign Thad.

Considering he's signed through 2014 already.

haha; nice.

by the way, I suggested that maybe 14 straight losing seasons would be enough of a basis to lose faith. I don't think crossman's or thad's ir ike's status would change much for me.

A telling sign will whether or not they resign Chandler. I, personally, would not be opposed to a trade down scenario where we selected Jace Amaro. Out of all the TE's in this draft I have him atop the list. I am betting that he runs a 4.6 or better 40 time as well @ 6'5" and 260lbs.

Amaro has excellent ball skills.......better than Ebron, AS-Jenkins or even Mike Evans for that matter.

I think whether he is the first TE or not is just a matter of him running a decent 40.

Ebron is the top athlete at the position but his hands are inconsistent.

Is there any reason at all to sh-- on your own players when they may be trade chips or they may be on your roster next year?

If we try separating ourselves from our fandom for a moment, we could all realize that what he's saying is pretty rational. The baseline is that nothing was good enough to take them to the playoffs this season, and they have to work up from there. We have zero idea what pieces will be available in FA or the draft, so all that can be done is research and offseason work with the players that are there right now.

I like it, and posted in another thread that a rookie TE stud paired with chandler would be a red zone nightmare. I also like the idea of having the top 3 gone before NE picks. Why no Ebron on your TE list?

Well I think the TEs fall Amaro, Ebron, A Seferian-Jenkins- I thought that Seferian-Jenkins might make it to our pick in the second round but with Gronk being injured again I think New England will take a TE high so we have to move ahead of them in the first round - I think Amaro will be there at 9 and the BIlls might move back into the mid-teens and still get him but you'd be taking a risk- I think Ebron goes in the mid-twenties, btw I think Ebron is very good but my preference is full sized TEs who can block, move the chains, good in the red zone and can split the seam occasionally (maybe more Jason Witten than Vernon Davis) I want a mixture of dangerous guys (Spiller, Goodwin) with grinders (SJ, Chandler, Amaro) in fact if I had a gripe with Chandler it'd be more about his blocking than his receiving - Colt is a 5th round gamble big talent and big character concerns - one thing I'd like the Bills to be able to do with their up tempo offense is to show a bunch of 6'5- 6'7 260-270lbs guys one play and a bunch of WRs who run 4.40, 4.36 and 4.27 the next .

Chandler is currently the 1st string TE. Keep him but try to improve the position so that he becomes the 2nd TE off the bench. Yes he had a bad fumble against Atlanta (the defender made a nice play) and everybody is mad he dropped that pass in the season finale (that pass was thrown too hard by Thad) but I don't see us easily replacing his production if we don't re-sign him.

Edited by Fixxxer

I'd like to see the Bills get a TE who presents a matchup problem for the defense, more than a player like Chandler. I look at the top NFL offenses I see Gronkowski, Graham, J. Thomas, Gates, even Ertz...the best O's all seem to have a much better athlete than we do. With a young QB developing a lot of different parts of his game at once, it seems well worth using a 1st\2nd rounder here to get someone who can both stretch the field, and roam the middle & move the chains with consistency.

Would love to see them additionally bring back Chandler and use a bunch of two-TE sets, with Lee Smith as valuable depth and as a goal line piece.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

It was a bad group before Moeaki. Who knows, maybe he will regain his form but it is one of the weakest positions on the roster.

I'm really happy that we activated Moeaki. Seeing him those final two games reaffirms my faith in the organization. Moeaki showed that he can still be a productive player. I'm all in.

He is like Stevie though in that he makes costly mistakes (Atlanta & SF fumbles, drop on 3rd down last week). As a possession guy and a limited athlete he cannot make those kind of mistakes because he does not offset them with game changing plays. I can deal with an occasional CJ fumble because the next drive he may bust an 85 yarder. When Chandler makes a mistake it is always costly.

Exactly right. Chandler has 4 fumbles in 135 receptions. Tight ends and fullbacks are NEVER supposed to fumble. And a few of Chandler's fumbles were very avoidable being caused by people he had beaten on the pattern who caught him from behind. That shows a glaring lack of awareness IMO.

That said he's a good receiving tight end who is open even when he's covered. I'd like to see him re-signed and I'd also like to see the Bills upgrade the position.

Btw, I was trying to do a little research on Lee Smith. The guy had more penalties than catches!! He had 5 catches (I know that he is a blocker) but that is wild. I cannot find his number of penalties but I think that I remember more than 5.

It seems like most of those were drive-killing holding penalties too.

I actually think our TEs as a whole are a lot better than they get credit for. Chandler is a good but not great all around TE. He's not a dynamic receiver, nor is he a proficient blocker, but he does both adequately - most guys do one or the other. Lee Smith is a very good blocking TE, he's just not that good as a receiver. Gragg is a 7th rd rookie who can't block for **** but may develop into a good pass catcher. And Moeaki is a big ?, but when healthy he's produced in the NFL. It's not a terrible squad, just one lacking star power. In other words, it's not the squad to blame for losses, but it's also not one to lean on to carry you. An upgrade would be nice, but if WR and QB are pulling their weight this squad should be sufficient.

Edited by Rob's House