Marrone and the TE Position

jjmac

According to Chris Brown, Marrone is encourage about our TEs.

"I feel we've gotten good production," Marrone said. "I think that Scott Chandler had a fine year. He really did. I think that we have players in place here, on this roster, which can be very productive. The tight ends under contract are Chris Gragg, Tony Moeaki and Lee Smith. Mike Caussin, who was on I-R is a restricted free agent and Chandler is scheduled to be unrestricted.

Does this mean we're going to try and resign Chandler?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/01/02/marrone-encouraged-about-te-position/

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cue the "I have lost all faith in Marrone and this team" posts in 3, 2, 1....

Maybe not lost faith, but I'm not sure why he's so effusive about a group that has been so underwhelming in Buffalo for over a decade. Maybe Moeaki can regain his form, but what makes him so confident that Chandler will be a better player?

i have changed my mind, the bandit is correct.

Marrone MUST know that the TE position needs upgrading.

He is trying to "sandbag" the others to get one of te top three TE's to slip to #41.

Well I don't quite think he's doing that--I just don't think he loses anything by saying that he likes the guys that are here.

A telling sign will whether or not they resign Chandler. I, personally, would not be opposed to a trade down scenario where we selected Jace Amaro. Out of all the TE's in this draft I have him atop the list. I am betting that he runs a 4.6 or better 40 time as well @ 6'5" and 260lbs.

Not me. If they can re-sign Chandler, I'd be pretty comfortable with the quartet of Chandler-Moeaki-Smith-Gragg, at least under the assumption that Moeaki can come in and do some good things while staying healthy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a top draft pick used on a beast of a TE, but if not, I wouldn't be upset.

A telling sign will whether or not they resign Chandler. I, personally, would not be opposed to a trade down scenario where we selected Jace Amaro. Out of all the TE's in this draft I have him atop the list. I am betting that he runs a 4.6 or better 40 time as well @ 6'5" and 260lbs.

I like Amaro a lot. I don't like trading down, and I wouldn't take him at 9.

Which 4 of those 5 TEs "are potentially very productive”, coach?

Well, you do know that there were only 12 TEs in the game that had more catches than Chandler, right? He was also 12th in receiving yards among TEs, and tied for 9th in most receptions of 20 yards or more.

Well, you do know that there were only 12 TEs in the game that had more catches than Chandler, right? He was also 12th in receiving yards among TEs, and tied for 9th in most receptions of 20 yards or more.

He is like Stevie though in that he makes costly mistakes (Atlanta & SF fumbles, drop on 3rd down last week). As a possession guy and a limited athlete he cannot make those kind of mistakes because he does not offset them with game changing plays. I can deal with an occasional CJ fumble because the next drive he may bust an 85 yarder. When Chandler makes a mistake it is always costly.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I like Amaro a lot. I don't like trading down, and I wouldn't take him at 9.

Despite his production, which really hasn't been that bad all things considered, the key drops and the fumble against Atlanta stick out in most people's minds. I know they do in mine. Is that justification for letting a decently productive player walk? I don't know. If they are comfortable with what they think they have in Moeaki, don't want to pay the asking price, and still have the other guys I wouldn't be hurt if he was not resigned.

He is like Stevie though in that he makes costly mistakes (Atlanta & SF fumbles, drop on 3rd down last week). As a possession guy and a limited athlete he cannot make those kind of mistakes because he does not offset them with game changing plays. I can deal with an occasional CJ fumble because the next drive he may bust am 85 yarder. When Chandler makes a mistake it is always costly.

Despite his production, which really hasn't been that bad all things considered, the key drops and the fumble against Atlanta stick out in most people's minds. I know they do in mine. Is that justification for letting a decently productive player walk? I don't know. If they are comfortable with what they think they have in Moeaki, don't want to pay the asking price, and still have the other guys I wouldn't be hurt if he was not resigned.

I agree with all of that--the response was intended to answer the question asked of Marrone (although, not really asked of Marrone, more like asked rhetorically out of sarcasm) as to which TE he felt could be very productive.

I'd call being in the top 1/3 of the league in receptions, yards, and receptions of 20+ yards for your position group as being very productive.

That said, I completely agree with the idea that the team should look to upgrade, as I think that there are better talents to be had coming out in the draft.

I agree with all of that--the response was intended to answer the question asked of Marrone (although, not really asked of Marrone, more like asked rhetorically out of sarcasm) as to which TE he felt could be very productive.

I'd call being in the top 1/3 of the league in receptions, yards, and receptions of 20+ yards for your position group as being very productive.

That said, I completely agree with the idea that the team should look to upgrade, as I think that there are better talents to be had coming out in the draft.

#13 is not the top 1/3 of the league :) Also, he's way down the list for first down & TD catches, which is very odd for a TE of his physical stature.