Bills Offseason Needs per WGR's Joe B.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this - though there is complication - We still need a TE if we draft a WR. If we draft a TE we can likely find a FA plug in at WR that makes it less essential.

I looked to me like Joe B was saying one each in the 1st and 2nd...Whatever you don't get in the 1st take in the 2nd...But maybe I'm reading it wrong... B-)

What kind of smoke?

:)

The sneaky kind

I looked to me like Joe B was saying one each in the 1st and 2nd...Whatever you don't get in the 1st take in the 2nd...But maybe I'm reading it wrong... B-)

I got that the positions should be the priorities > not player specific

NoSaint who keeps close tabs on the Saints thinks the chances of New Orleans letting him get away are pretty miniscule.

Then there's the question of how desirable a landing spot Buffalo is to a player like Graham.

he is going to fan wagon the Saints if they do well, you watch. Lucky guy will be able to get over the Billls

Yeah that was disappointing.

The Bills had good special teams previous to this season, the new regime thinks they've upgraded the talent, and yet special teams gets worse?

And then Marrone says they need better "core special teamers?"

Where did Marrone say this was a high priority need?

I (choose to) interpret his comment to mean that they need a handful of guys whose life is special teams. I remember the "glory days" where Steve Tasker and Mark Pike were core special teams players. Tasker arguably could have played more at WR, but they valued his special teams contributions over that.

I believe that there were others, including Beebe, who played primarily STs.

I think the point was that there were some who were lackadaisical on STs - maybe because they thought they were going to make an impression on O or D.

They may have most of the "core special teasers" on the roster - if they accept and embrace their role.

Cleveland supposedly has WR high amongst their needs so will be interesting to see if they nab somebody high in the order. Part of the issue is that WR's are generally not immediate impact players.

So, maybe they should get one early to get up to speed.

I think that Woods and Goodwin contributed this year, and I expect them to contribute more next year. However, they still don't have a true playmaker who can make the great catch 1-2 times a game and keep drives alive. If they can find a guy like that, even if it takes him a year or two to fully develop, then I'd love to see them take him early in round 1.

I am don't know if EJ Manuel is THE answer, but I do know that he had 1 experienced WR and about 2 starts among the remaining WRs coming into this season. In terms of NFL receptions, outside of Stevie Johnson, there were about 35 catches on the remaining roster (at WR). What could you tell about the QB play with that?

I assume author listed needs in order of priority, though he doesn't really say. If so, I would move a run-stuffing LB up the list based on being 23rd against the run. To be at or near best in the league in terms of picks and sacks only to be shredded by the run makes LB a top priority.

Why would you waste a late round pick on a QB when you have 3 on the roster? If you're going to bring one in don't bother after the 4th round.

Totally agree. It's highly unlikely that the 6th round QB will be better than Lewis, Tuel or Dixon, so it would be a wasted pick. Either go high on QB or try to get a decent FA back up. Otherwise, throw another year at the EJ experiment.

I get that, but the fact remains that the Saints are $8 million over the cap.

This is a difficult number. If the Saints prioritize Graham as much as we believe they will it's going to take more creativity than just cutting some players. Brees' contract escalates to 1 million more in 2014 (18.4 mil) so nothing crazy there above 2013. Still it won't be easy finding room to dedicate $9-11$ million to another player, which essentially means the movement of $18-20$ million in salaries.

This is a difficult number. If the Saints prioritize Graham as much as we believe they will it's going to take more creativity than just cutting some players. Brees' contract escalates to 1 million more in 2014 (18.4 mil) so nothing crazy there above 2013. Still it won't be easy finding room to dedicate $9-11$ million to another player, which essentially means the movement of $18-20$ million in salaries.

Probably won't be as tough as you think. Restructure the contracts of Jahri Evans, Marques Colston, and Ben Grubbs, part ways with past-prime guys like Vilma and Smith, and you're probably most of the way there.

Why would you waste a late round pick on a QB when you have 3 on the roster? If you're going to bring one in don't bother after the 4th round.

I agree. Although there isn't much that you're likely to get from a late round pick.

Probably won't be as tough as you think. Restructure the contracts of Jahri Evans, Marques Colston, and Ben Grubbs, part ways with past-prime guys like Vilma and Smith, and you're probably most of the way there.

I think it's a bit more difficult to get 3 players to restructure than you think. It's tough because you really need to know the details of each contract obviously. Just seems to me if you're around $9 million over the cap, it's tough to sign a free agent to a $60 million dollar contract. I don't think it's impossible but it will mean losing several players you like.

I think it's a bit more difficult to get 3 players to restructure than you think. It's tough because you really need to know the details of each contract obviously. Just seems to me if you're around $9 million over the cap, it's tough to sign a free agent to a $60 million dollar contract. I don't think it's impossible but it will mean losing several players you like.

Don't the Saints also have another big deal free agent?