Bills get pick 9

This makes no sense to me at all. So Marrone is saying that if by some miracle Johnny Football falls to the Bills, they will either not take him and take him with "110% certainty" that Manuel will start over him? After this season Marrone shouldn't be 110% sure that HE will be picking the Bills QB next season. What is the point in telling Manuel this?

I don't think it says much about the draft, it just quashes any arguments about Thad vs EJ.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt that Manuel is the odds on favorite to be the Bills starter next season. I'm not arguing that. But why tell him he already is when Marrone himself can't possibly be 110% sure?

Marrone just seems to shoot his mouth off sometimes. Granted that comment may not have been meant for the general public, but still, why? Learn from your mistakes Doug.

I have no problem with Marrone saying this. He drafted Manuel to be his starting QB and obviously feels Manuel showed him enough this year to believe that, barring injury, he is the starting QB going into next season. I fail to see how this is some kind of a mistake.

This makes no sense to me at all. So Marrone is saying that if by some miracle Johnny Football falls to the Bills, they will either not take him and take him with "110% certainty" that Manuel will start over him? After this season Marrone shouldn't be 110% sure that HE will be picking the Bills QB next season. What is the point in telling Manuel this?

Or he's saying he doesn't see any QB with more upside or talent at the position when they will pick in the draft. Squash the idea that they'll take another QB in the 1st.

Which I agree with. Nothing wrong with him committing to Manuel as the starter even if it's not what some fans want. They could still take one later in the draft.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Good. Let them pick them. Get me Mike Evans and a TE in the 2nd.

I really like Evans too. People say he is slow, so was Jerry Rice and more recently, Alshon Jeffery. Evans looks better to me than Jeffery did in Collage.

The way the NFL is going with these rule changes, you need a big target who you can throw jump balls to and let them get flagged for Pass Interference half the time.

A stud TE is also a huge need. I'd love to land a Big WR and a Big Athletic TE in the beginning parts of the draft.

I'm on board with another trade down!

So am I. We need lots of picks and quite honestly, the best players don't always go at the top of the draft. Kiko Alonso for example. Or like the year we took Dareus - yes he is a great player, but if we traded back, got an extra 2nd, and took JJ Watt instead, would you be angry? Of if Watt was gone, we could have landed Nick Fairley or Robert Quinn - who are both studs. Or we could have traded back two or three times, and landed Cam Jordan - who is, again, a stud.

There will likely be lots of Ts and WRs and LBs and TEs who will go in the 1st round in this draft and a lot of them will be good. Lets trade back and take the best of the group that falls and land us another 2nd and/or 3rd round pick!!!

Picking a guard at 9th would be a waste. Plenty of good ones in the middle rounds or free agency. That 1st pick has to be used on a skill position or OLB.

It will be easier to land a G in the later rounds if we trade back and have more later round picks.

1st Round: O-line; 2nd Round: O-Line; 3rd Round: O-Line; 4th Round: O-Line; 5th Round: O-Line.

I honestly don't think our OL is nearly as bad as the fans believe it is. Sure we need a LG and maybe a new T to be better, but its not like our line is abysmal.

We were a top rushing team in the league - that is the OL. I believe most of our OL problems stem from our QB. They don't read defenses quick, they hold onto the ball too long, they dont make the proper calls and adjustments pre-snap.

That said I don't think Urbik is as good as people believe. Is is our 3rd best OLman so I would like to replace the 5th and 4th best first but, he may need to be replaced in time (assuming we ever stop spinning our wheels)

Edited by peterpan

Very well put. No guard and no RT, but invest in ANOTHER WR?? The TE, I get.

ANOTHER WR? What great WRs does this team already have?

I believe that Robert Woods will develop into a good starting WR and I think that Marquise Goodwin may become a decent contributing WR. I think that Stevie Johnson is an average-to-above-average WR, but certainly isn't a "go-to playmaker". As the roster stands with the current level of experience (ie, at this time in Woods' and Goodwins' careers), I would speculate that the Bills WR group is in the bottom 25% of the NFL.

FYI at the season end presser today a reporter asked Whaley if they would be against drafting another 1st round QB this year. He basically replied "If we think there is a guy out there in the draft or FA that makes this team better we will try to go get him."

Yeah, that's the standard answer, front office speak at its finest. But that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for EJ.

It's no surprise. I gave up on the Bills drafting another QB weeks ago.

We will end up ignoring the loaded QB drafts of 2012 and 2014 and end up going all-in with the turdfest 2013 QB draft.

It will look completely insane and stupid in 5 years. It already does now.

FYI at the season end presser today a reporter asked Whaley if they would be against drafting another 1st round QB this year. He basically replied "If we think there is a guy out there in the draft or FA that makes this team better we will try to go get him."

Yeah, that's the standard answer, front office speak at its finest. But that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for EJ.

That is typical front office speak but so is saying "EJ is our starting QB".

I wonder - what if Nix liked EJ but Whaley wasn't convinced? I guess its possible EJ was Nix's pick and not Whaley's???

That is typical front office speak but so is saying "EJ is our starting QB".

I wonder - what if Nix liked EJ but Whaley wasn't convinced? I guess its possible EJ was Nix's pick and not Whaley's???

From what I've read on TSW, if EJ flames out then Nix drafted him. If he throws for 4,500+ yards next year then Whaley drafted him. Our fans are willing to go chin-deep in denial if it brings even the slightest iota of hope.

It was already public knowledge that Nix was stepping down and being replaced by Whaley. So there is no way that Nix would have been given the responsibility of deciding personnel for an incoming GM. It just is not plausible. No incoming GM is going to allow that to happen where they get handed some other guys junk the day before they take over.

EJ was Whaley & Marrone's guy. They made that decision because they were in charge of that decision. The only reason Nix was still acting GM during the draft was so they could use Nix as a scapegoat if the draft turned out to be a horrible mess up.

Rest assure that every player taken in that draft was primarily decided by Whaley and crew.

Edited by PolishDave

It was already public knowledge that Nix was stepping down and being replaced by Whaley. So there is no way that Nix would have been given the responsibility of deciding personnel for an incoming GM. It just is not plausible. No incoming GM is going to allow that to happen where they get handed some other guys junk the day before they take over.

EJ was Whaley & Marrone's guy. They made that decision because they were in charge of that decision. The only reason Nix was still acting GM during the draft was so they could use Nix as a scapegoat if the draft turned out to be a horrible mess up.

Rest assure that every player taken in that draft was primarily decided by Whaley and crew.

Case in point. Conspiracy theory!

Our fans are willing to go chin-deep in denial if it brings even the slightest iota of hope.

Edited by QCity

I think there is a conspiracy.

I think that Marrone, Whaley, et al, are willing to lose their jobs for EJM. I think they would rather lose with EJM, than win with Thad Lewis, cuz that would make them look so stupid.

Coaches and GM's do that, you know. They aren't really worried about winning, or keeping their jobs, just about looking like good drafters

Ebron could be a monster. Im intrigued.

I am as well...I like him a lot...

I want Ebron or Evans in the first...

I'll also point out two years ago I wanted Alshon Jeffery REAL bad...I mean REAL bad...So...I fully expect that I'll be right again... ;)

2013: Jets - Dee Milliner - CB

2012: Panthers - Luke Kuechly - ILB (Pro Bowl)

2011: Cowboys - Tyron Smith - OT (Pro Bowl)

2010: Bills - CJ Spiller - RB (Pro Bowl)

2009: Packers - BJ Raji - DT (Pro Bowl)

2008: Bengals - Keither Rivers - LB

2007: Dolphins - Ted Ginn, Jr - WR

2006: Lions - Ernie Sims - LB

2005: Redskins - Carlos Rogers - CB (Pro Bowl)

2004: Jaguars - Reggie Williams - WR

2003: Vikings - Kevin Williams - DT (Pro Bowl)

2002: Jaguars - John Henderson -DT (Pro Bowl)

2001: Seahawks - Koren Robinson - WR (Pro Bowl)

2000: Bears - Brian Urlacher - LB (Pro Bowl)

14 players, 9 Pro Bowlers. Odds are good we will draft a Pro Bowler

I love the optimistic view, but I severely question the faulty logic.