Rosenthal bold face lies about EJ in an NFL.com…

1billsfan

…article.

"The Bills are in a tough spot with Manuel. He missed too much playing time and didn't look remotely ready when he started."

This is an article from nfl.com. This is not from some fanboy blog. What, there are no editors at nfl.com to tell Gregg that this comment on EJ Manuel was blatantly false? EJ has had FIVE games with a QB rating above 86. Three of those they won and a fourth game was the Atlanta game where he led the Bills on two game winning type drives that were blown up by receiver fumbles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304038/article/quarterback-index-yearend-rankings

This is what passes for quality writing at nfl.com? I won't even get into the silly rankings of the bottom guys who he considers better than Manuel.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows Geno Smith has looked awesome all year...

Is this because he rated Geno 1 spot ahead of Manuel?

I bet if Manuel hadn't missed games with injury on 3 separate times this season he would have been ranked 33rd and Geno would have been 34th. Would that make you feel any better about it?

They both stunk this year. Not everybody in the NFL was buying EJ Manuel as a first round QB to start with so you will have to excuse them if they aren't giving him the "franchise QB" benefit of the doubt.

All this really says is what should be said.........that the Bills and Jets still have huge question marks at QB. Nothing is close to being resolved based on what these guys have shown this season.

…article.

"The Bills are in a tough spot with Manuel. He missed too much playing time and didn't look remotely ready when he started."

This is an article from nfl.com. This is not from some fanboy blog. What, there are no editors at nfl.com to tell Gregg that this comment on EJ Manuel was blatantly false? EJ has had FIVE games with a QB rating above 86. Three of those they won and a fourth game was the Atlanta game where he led the Bills on two game winning type drives that were blown up by receiver fumbles.

http://www.nfl.com/n...earend-rankings

This is what passes for quality writing at nfl.com? I won't even get into the silly rankings of the bottom guys who he considers better than Manuel.

First of all, there is no "quality writing" at nfl.com.

Rosenthal is not much of a writer. But if you listen to his podcast, he often picks the Bills - he is wise to the Bills' defensive prowess and home field success and knows that they are often undeserving underdogs at home.

The nfl.com guys have been strangely negative about Manuel all year considering the love they have often given to Glennon and Geno Smith. I would give EJ an "incomplete" for this year - he needs significant development AND improved health. The Bills ARE in a tough spot because they don't have sufficient evidence to make a good evaluation of where they're at.

If the Jets and Bucs are smart they know enough to realize they aren't going anywhere with their rookie QBs.

While there were times Manuel looked good there were times he looked awful, so I'm not sure how you can argue with the overall assessment. He has the 30th highest QB ranking and he's rated 34th on this list. Not a huge discrepancy.

Edited by BarleyNY

Gregg Rosenthal's assessment of NFL quarterbacks is spot on and the most accurate I have ever seen. I agree with him 100% You have to remember he is not a "homer" drinking the Kool aid. He is not biased and tells it like it is. He has no loyalty to any team so he can report honestly and accurately. That's why he gets paid the big bucks, he understands the game and can accurately report what he sees on the field. An outsider like him will give you and honest and true assessment because they are not attached to any team.

…article.

http://www.nfl.com/n...earend-rankings

EJ's first two games were at home against the Patriots and the Panthers. He looked pretty darn good in both which makes part of Rosenthal's statement (didn't look remotely ready when he started) plainly ridiculous. http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/gamelogs

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The offense we ran those first few games was some of the dullest offense I've ever seen. EJ did give us the game-winning drive week 2, but let's not forget he was aided greatly by the game awareness of FJ dropping that stupid checkdown and that PI call on Kuechly to set up the TD pass where the DBs miscommunicated leaving Stevie wide open. I don't disagree with this assessment at all. I've seen more impressive performances from every one of those guys above EJ.

We need to draft a new QB and start the process all over. And then draft another in 2015, and two more in 2016, then fire the front office and draft 12 QBs in 2017. Everyone wants rookies to play like pro bowlers.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There is no reason to believe he is telling a "bold faced lie" here. His opinion may differ greatly from yours and many hard core Bills fans who really Billieve Manuel is a "franchise", or at least a viable NFL starting QB.

Personally I have not seen much so far that leads me to believe Manuel is a slam dunk franchise QB. Or for that matter even a good starting QB. But the person earlier who graded Manuel as "incomplete" rings true with me. With the injuries (which are themselves reason for concern) and him being a rookie it really is too early to know what the Bills have in him. Which really does put the Bills FO in a bit of a bind when it comes to the upcoming draft.

And we can do is wait, hope and trust that the Bills FO ends up doing the smart thing, whatever that is.

CodeMonkey you are right on. I don't see how anyone could disagree with you. He hasn't shown that he can become a good NFL quarterback nor can I say he is bust at this time. The bad thing is if he isn't the guy the Bills will have wasted the 2014 season and will have to start from scratch in 2015. After 14 seasons without playoffs I don't think Bills fans can stand to WASTE another year. Oh well it is what it is.

Gregg Rosenthal's assessment of NFL quarterbacks is spot on and the most accurate I have ever seen. I agree with him 100% You have to remember he is not a "homer" drinking the Kool aid. He is not biased and tells it like it is. He has no loyalty to any team so he can report honestly and accurately. That's why he gets paid the big bucks, he understands the game and can accurately report what he sees on the field. An outsider like him will give you and honest and true assessment because they are not attached to any team.

So you agree with him that despite the fact that EJ Manuel has had three games above a 100 QB rating, that he didn't look remotely ready in those games? If you do then you are the one who is being biased towards your opinion of EJ Manuel. Because those are real statistics that have no relevance whatsoever to an opinion describing Manuel being a QB who's not even remotely ready to start.

Dorkington - I think everyone knows the Bills have the worst quarterback in the league, no one disputes that. What they are hoping is he can learn, improve his accuracy, and maybe become a good quarterback some day. I don't think anyone is disputing that he is one of the worst in the league at this junction of his career. (NY Jets, Smith is just as bad)

I think even Manual would admit he is terrible right now. He thinks he can improve and that's what remains to be seen. He didn't come out a blue chip polished quarterback like Andrew Luck. He came out a huge question mark that everyone knew would be a gamble and or a project.

Dorkington - I think everyone knows the Bills have the worst quarterback in the league, no one disputes that. What they are hoping is he can learn, improve his accuracy, and maybe become a good quarterback some day. I don't think anyone is disputing that he is one of the worst in the league at this junction of his career. (NY Jets, Smith is just as bad)

I think even Manual would admit he is terrible right now. He thinks he can improve and that's what remains to be seen. He didn't come out a blue chip polished quarterback like Andrew Luck. He came out a huge question mark that everyone knew would be a gamble and or a project.

That is a statement that simply is not true. BTW, His name is Manuel.

So you agree with him that despite the fact that EJ Manuel has had three games above a 100 QB rating, that he didn't look remotely ready in those games? If you do then you are the one who is being biased towards your opinion of EJ Manuel. Because those are real statistics that have no relevance whatsoever to an opinion describing Manuel being a QB who's not even remotely ready to start.

I read the "not remotely ready to start an NFL game" comment as the writer actually giving Manuel an excuse for a bad season. Thinking that what we saw this season was a prepared and ready EJ Manuel is wholly depressing. If one was to give him the benefit of doubt and say his very uneven - and overall very poor - performance this season was largely due to lack of preparation it would at least give one hope.

Edited by BarleyNY